S & W 325

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've fired both a 625 (steel), and a 325 (aluminum / titanium / scandium), and both were able to use full moon clips (I hate half moon clips).

Recoil was rather stout, since the weight is only about 25 ounces, compared to a significantly greater weight in the heavier steel model. Not too unpleasant, but because a revovler really doesn't soak up any recoil like a semiautomatic pistol would (locked breech mechanisms help with recoil), it's not going to be too pleasant, either.

In the end, I didn't really dislike the gun, but I had to take a long hard look at what it offered that others couldn't, and I really couldn't be convinced that I had to have one.

1) It's based on the full sized N-frame. It's not going to be a very concealable gun.

2) For a N-frame, you would want the extra mass to soak up recoil. While it's fine with milder 200 grain LSWC loads, it's not a fun gun to shoot when you're firing 230 grain +P Winchester Ranger, or something similarly stout.

This is where I really liked the 625 much better, since it's easier to shoot, and I can fire +P loads from it all day long. Firing about 50 +P loads is all that I could really handle with the 325.

All in all? I admire the job that S&W did with the scandium / aluminum alloy frames, that they make a very, very light gun, and that the J-frame sized ones are fantastic carry pieces (although really brutal on recoil).

For a full sized revolver, I really don't recommend it. It offers nothing that I would really want in a full sized revolver, especially one that shoots .45 ACP.

LawDog

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I own a 325pd scandium, I like it and enjoy shooting it. The trigger does need a little smoothing out. It is a very accurate revolver. Mine came through with the full moon clips, I would of preferred the half moon versions. The one that I have has a misprint on the side of the barrel, it says 44 magnum instead of 45acp. I shoot 357 & 44 magnums alot so the recoil from this piece seems rather mild to me. I bought it new from a friend who is a dealer, $820.
:shock:

OP
Marvin

Marvin

Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys. I have a chance to get one new (from a store, not used) for around 625 after taxes. It wouldn't be my first choice for a carry gun, just something kinda different.

Latest Discussions