Ryukyu Martial Arts Friendship Gasshuku

Noah_Legel

Blue Belt
Reaction score
This weekend was our Ryukyu Martial Arts Friendship Gasshuku, which was an event I put together with the intent of getting martial artists together to learn and train in a variety of martial arts from the Ryukyu islands. I have never put anything like this together, before, but I think it went pretty well! Everyone said they enjoyed it, and found value in the material presented, and are looking forward to the next one.

We started on Friday night, when I taught a three hour session on KishimotoDi, which is a small, rare style of Shuri-te that is in danger of dying out if it isn't spread. Here are some photos from that session--the link goes to Facebook, but you shouldn't need an account to see them.

Ryukyu Martial Arts Friendship Gasshuku 2015 (Day 1) | Facebook

On Saturday, we got started with a session on Pinan Godan bunkai with Ryan Parker Sensei, who has been working hard to spread old Okinawan karate through various internet mediums for years, now. After that, we had a session with Chuck Merriman Sensei, who is a Judan (10th-dan) in Goju-Ryu, and he gave a lecture on the principles and history of Goju-Ryu, followed by some partner drills and kakie. Finally, we had an open exchange session, where people were free to train together in any fashion they wanted, and we also took turns teaching techniques to the group. After training, several of us went out to Hiro Sushi, which is a local restaurant run by an Okinawan family who love karateka and serve excellent food. Here are photos from that day:

Ryukyu Martial Arts Friendship Gasshuku 2015 (Day 2) | Facebook

On Sunday, we kicked the morning off with Raphael Gutierrez Sensei teaching Yamane-Ryu kobudo--specifically, he taught Shuji no Kon, and some associated drills. After that, Ed Sumner Sensei taught Goju-Ryu kata bunkai for Sanchin and Seiyunchin, and then went into some footwork and kumite drills. Finally, my Sensei--Richard Poage--taught a session that started off with some hand-speed drills based on kata movements, and then continued on into a variety of kata applications. Here are photos from that day:

Ryukyu Martial Arts Friendship Gasshuku 2015 (Day 3) | Facebook

I know I had a great time, and I am sore all over! Hopefully next year the event is even better!

Koshiki

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Well, congrats. You seem to have had some fairly impressive names attending and instructing. If next year is to be even better, than it seems truly great things are ahead of you.