Ryan Hall's MMA debut..

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, Hall has said for years that the 50/50 guard could be effective in MMA and he backed that up. The whole thing reminded me a lot of Masakazu Imanari.

Hall is one of the most analytical martial artists I've seen. I'll be interested to follow his MMA career. (This wasn't actually his MMA debut, just his first fight on a big name promotion. )

OP
Hanzou

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, Hall has said for years that the 50/50 guard could be effective in MMA and he backed that up. The whole thing reminded me a lot of Masakazu Imanari.

Hall is one of the most analytical martial artists I've seen. I'll be interested to follow his MMA career. (This wasn't actually his MMA debut, just his first fight on a big name promotion. )

Agreed. He tweeted about how everyone doubted he could apply the 50/50 to MMA, and how he's now in the TUF house because of a BJJ technique that doesn't work in MMA. Kudos for him to prove the doubters wrong. I look forward to see what he comes up with during this season.

Remember, another Bjj-heavy competitor (C. Holdsworth) won the competition a few years ago, and Ryan is quite a bit above his level in grappling. So it's going to be interesting.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Watching that fight was fun. I wasn't sure he was going to pull it off but Ryan hung in there and applied it! Looking forward to seeing him fight some more .

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Interesting. So higher percentage to employ it or learn to defend it?

OP
Hanzou

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Depends on how good the defender is at defending leg locks, and their familiarity with Bjj sport guards.

In terms of employing it? I've been doing Bjj for almost a decade, and I can't do half of the crazy stuff I see those elite sport guys do. On one hand I lack the flexibility due to a significant knee injury I suffered a few years ago. On the other, we were always told that those type of manuevers weren't valuable outside of sport Bjj. It'll be pretty interesting to see how this changes things in Bjj if Hall becomes successful at MMA with that type of grappling.

Hopefully Ryan has more tricks up his sleeve in the event he runs into someone who has excellent defense against those types of attacks.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Depends. Hall has said that the reason he developed his 50/50 game (in BJJ) is that he was going up against competitors who had been training all their lives and who were objectively better then him all-around. He figured that if he could thoroughly master one position that is hard to escape and was not widely understood then he could drag opponents into his game and beat them even if they were overall better grapplers.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Definitely easier or less time needed in learning to defend it. Defending it is not hard you just need to recognize what they are doing and react quickly. Getting good at utilizing it offensively in a competitive mma match or on the street, well you better be damn good at it. Because if you make a mistake or your leg is cleared and you are in that position some nasty strikes are coming your way. Hall is really good at it, at least in that moment. Yet, I will be surprised if he utilizes it again and again in the TUF house.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Definitely easier or less time needed in learning to defend it. Defending it is not hard you just need to recognize what they are doing and react quickly. Getting good at utilizing it offensively in a competitive mma match or on the street, well you better be damn good at it. Because if you make a mistake or your leg is cleared and you are in that position some nasty strikes are coming your way. Hall is really good at it, at least in that moment. Yet, I will be surprised if he utilizes it again and again in the TUF house.
If that were a bet, I'd take it. I'll predict now that Ryan hall makes a point of using grappling extensively and creatively, and further that he will be very successful. Either way, it will be fun to watch!

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well Steve, I didn't say he wouldn't use grappling or even not even that move again. Just maybe not that particular move very much. (it isn't super high percentage in mma) He caught the guy he fought not looking for that move and I am sure all the other fighters who watched it will not be caught unaware on how to defend it. Looking through some of his other mma fights he utilized some more standard Jiu-Jiujitsu! Like you I think he will be really fun to watch going forward! :)

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well Steve, I didn't say he wouldn't use grappling or even not even that move again. Just maybe not that particular move very much. (it isn't super high percentage in mma) He caught the guy he fought not looking for that move and I am sure all the other fighters who watched it will not be caught unaware on how to defend it. Looking through some of his other mma fights he utilized some more standard Jiu-Jiujitsu! Like you I think he will be really fun to watch going forward! :)
I'll be interested to see. Imanari had a fair amount of success in MMA with that sort of attack and Hall probably has deeper understanding of how to control the position.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This looks to be a really fun season. McGregor a big, big, big trash talker as a coach and Faber who likes to talk smack as well. Then you have what looks to be a very strong European team up against an American team with some very strong fighters and some weaker ones. Should be interesting!!!

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I actually can't stand mcgregor. He's tough to watch. I will be very surprised if he's any good as a coach.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
McGregor is fun to watch as a fighter but... the mouth on him. Wow!!!
I am not sure he will be a good coach but interested if they show some
of his training/coaching regimen during the fighter's training.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Well, after tonight's show I believe Connors heel persona is largely put on, and he's not nearly as dickish as he would like us to believe. And also Ryan hall is a bonafide badass.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Wow, Ryan was exceptional last night. I thought there was a moment when he was going to get beat on but his movement was exceptional and the result was another heel hook! Beautiful!

ShotoNoob

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Agreed. He tweeted about how everyone doubted he could apply the 50/50 to MMA, and how he's now in the TUF house because of a BJJ technique that doesn't work in MMA. Kudos for him to prove the doubters wrong. I look forward to see what he comes up with during this season.

Remember, another Bjj-heavy competitor (C. Holdsworth) won the competition a few years ago, and Ryan is quite a bit above his level in grappling. So it's going to be interesting.
\
That was an amazing application. Not without risk, as others mentioned.
\
In general, the TUF training is meh. Hall brought honed skill with him into the house.... his opponents, most of them, are probably @ a distinct disadvantage on that score... His striker opponent never knew what grabbed him....

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
\
That was an amazing application. Not without risk, as others mentioned.
\
In general, the TUF training is meh. Hall brought honed skill with him into the house.... his opponents, most of them, are probably @ a distinct disadvantage on that score... His striker opponent never knew what grabbed him....
Lol. Without risk... Is there anyplace in the cage that is other than risky? People get punched from any position. I think he was less at risk than most.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I havent watched TUF in a few years it kinda got boring but I think this season will be good Ill prob watch it for a while

Latest Discussions