Running

K

Kong

Can anybody recommend a good running program that fits well with wtf style sparring.
I understand too much aerobic training (or the wrong kind) can cost you to lose power in your kicks (something to do with slow/fast twitch fibers in your leg, not really sure how it works).
:asian:

OP
A

artful dodger

Do you want a programme to be a competitive runner or just to get fit for your MA?

Desiree

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've read that just jogging can slow you down since you're just developing the slow twitch muscles. If you do interval training though, it'll keep your fast twitch fibers from being overwhelmed.

OP
M

MartialArtist

Originally posted by Kong

Can anybody recommend a good running program that fits well with wtf style sparring.
I understand too much aerobic training (or the wrong kind) can cost you to lose power in your kicks (something to do with slow/fast twitch fibers in your leg, not really sure how it works).
:asian:
You really won't lose fast twitch muscles so much. I also doubt you do enough cardio to change your type iib fibers to type iia. Olympic marathon runners, yeah. The average person? No.

OP
F

fissure

Wind sprints worked best for me. I found that running for miles apon miles helped very little. WTF competition consists of moments of 100% effort, among periods of relativley little energy expenditure. I found that it was best to train in the same manner that you fight in. Wind sprints mimic the typical way in wich you spend your energy - 100%, the movement/ set up.
Even the format of National competition follows this premise. That is 3 rounds , then 40 -50 mins to the next round, 3 rounds 20- 30 mins to the next round, and so on.

Langdow

Green Belt
Reaction score
I can't wait to get to national competitions to get that much rest, it's the small ones where you do a match . . . take off the chest guard to reverse and go back in there, that's what kills me :rolleyes:

I completely agree with the wind sprints too fissure. Any way you can develop an explosion of energy go for a good 5-10 secs. then rest for a little will help the best.

What other drills do people do to achieve this?

Regards

OP
F

fissure

You may find that warming up, then fighting a state medalist for 3 rounds, and then siting around long enough for your body to cool down and tighten up ( not to mention swelling on your feet and legs to get going!) isn't that much fun, especially by the 3rd or 4 th round!:EG:

OP
K

Kong

Hey thanks for all the good replies, that article on running for combat Sambo was really interesting.
Also I`ve been recommended wind sprints before, like run for half a minute then sprint 100% for 10-15 secs. I guess I`m looking for the optimal intervals to do the running in regards to wtf sparring.
I need a good running rutine to compliment my regular training (plus as an excuse to get outside more)
In our class we often freespar with a partner wearing mitts, and alternate with power excercises like holding a sidekick with ankle weights, plus all kinds of explosive kicks excercises, like alternating 50 turning kicks on each foot three-four sets, kicking the heavy bag for 30 secs, rest 10-15 sec, then another round,, theres countless variations.

OP
K

Kong

Oh yea, so I`ve been told, we use them for static training only. Like holding a kick for as long as you can, no sudden or snapping movements.
I guess that it could be stressful to the knees if you use too much weight, but we try and not overdo it. Also the benefits from this kind of excercise is really great, the power and height of the kicks improves rapidly.:asian:

OP
R

RCastillo

Originally posted by fissure

Wind sprints worked best for me. I found that running for miles apon miles helped very little. WTF competition consists of moments of 100% effort, among periods of relativley little energy expenditure. I found that it was best to train in the same manner that you fight in. Wind sprints mimic the typical way in wich you spend your energy - 100%, the movement/ set up.
Even the format of National competition follows this premise. That is 3 rounds , then 40 -50 mins to the next round, 3 rounds 20- 30 mins to the next round, and so on.

Yep, you're right on target. It's sprints all the way!:asian:

Latest Discussions