Running Away Practice.

T

thaiboxer

Originally posted by sweeper

"one thing thaiboxer you live in australia and I live in the US, from what I understand courts side a little diffrent in some other countries, here if you hit the guy for ANY reason he can sue you and has a chance to win, you would have to show that you had good reason to do what you did and that you tried to do the leaste dammage posable.. so running is a good option."

unfortunately the good old fashioned "settle it with fisty cuffs" is becoming out of fashion here. (dont get me wrong i dont go looking for fights, i started doing thai boxing because a taekwondo exponent was being a little mouthy one night and i wanted to know how to defend against and learn how to kick effectively, only found out later he was a martial artist, nothing happened that night).
here also people sue each other, and its very touch and go. the law states that an individual can only act back in a manner equal in hostility to how he was attacked basically. so even an a$$hole who comes up looking for fights and he picks at a martial artist for example, and the martial artist smashes the trouble maker , there is a good chance he could get sued by the mongrel who started it all in the first place. quit efrankly, i think the ridiculous laws in our world today suck, and no offence to the US, but your laws are outrageous and are rubbing off everywhere.

"also the size thing is something to think about, I'm 5'11'' and 160lbs so when a 6'2'' 200lb guy comes at me I won't want to stick around."

yep this is understandable.

"Additionaly it is realy hard to hit someone in the back when they are running.. they will have to catch you first, and I mean tackal you.. and depending on what they want to hurt you for they might not think it's worth the trouble. also running is usefull for relocating into a more suitable combat area or spreding multiple attackers out. IF you cary a weapon it might be a viable option to run, turn/strike, run and repeat untill the assailants leave you alone or go down.
"

yeah fair enough, fair comment

S

sweeper

one other thing, I'm not 100% on this because I don't live in austrailia, but I was under the impretion that if you get in a "minor" fight (one where you don't nessisaraly kill someone or send em to the hospital) genneraly speaking your opponant has to press charges for the law to take effect.. if that is true than that is a diffrence to be concerned with also.

W

white dragon

That's pretty much the case in the UK, unless you destroy property, cause harm to someone else, or just piss someone off then they can do you for desturbing the piece, but that's not a jail sentace kind of offence. Actually the fact that they need you to say you'll take them to court is a double edged sword, as I was listening on the radio today that it's the reason that a lot of rape and domestic violence cases aren't followed up as the women are often too scared to say anything about their husbands etc in fear of a follow up attack.

Jay Bell

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Everyone has brought up some really good points. The training I've done in Togakure ryu uses a lot of running away and concealment. This was a *very* difficult style of training for me, as I was typically very used to the 'stand and fight' mentality (not toe-to-toe).

After a lot of work with this type of idea, it became more natural. Running is smart. Unfortunately for many, ego keeps their ground, then digs a hole in it for their grave.

T

thaiboxer

Originally posted by sweeper

one other thing, I'm not 100% on this because I don't live in austrailia, but I was under the impretion that if you get in a "minor" fight (one where you don't nessisaraly kill someone or send em to the hospital) genneraly speaking your opponant has to press charges for the law to take effect.. if that is true than that is a diffrence to be concerned with also.

nope the cops can press charges if they want too, if they were lucky enough to be at the incident or seen anything, everyone gets locked up.

Latest Discussions