Running Away Practice.

Bod

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Run away! Run away!

What great advice. Now the question:

Does anybody here actually practise running away? Not just running away, but jumping over waist high railings, chain link fences etc. I've been thinking of doing so.

Most people here actually practise fighting which is fair enough, but does anyone practise - say - strike and run, or strike, drag your unbelievably slow girlfriend away, strike (baddie) again yell at her to get the car started for G--'s sake and run a bit more - or stuff I haven't thought of?

D

Danny

Shouldn't be a problem as long as you require a decent fitness level at some point. (To earn any Dan at my club.)

T

TangSooGuy

I actually do have my kids class practice this. Usually set up the situation of a stranger attacker.

I teach how to hit fast, hit hard, where to hit , and hit as much as it takes to get away...i then do teach running away...when to run backwards,when to turn around,,,pay attentio to what's around you while running...decide first which way to run...all of this.

It's actually a very valuable part of training, especially when teaching kids.

R

Rainman

Originally posted by Bod

Run away! Run away!

Does anybody here actually practise running away? Not just running away, but jumping over waist high railings, chain link fences etc. I've been thinking of doing so.

Most people here actually practise fighting which is fair enough, but does anyone practise - say - strike and run, or strike, drag your unbelievably slow girlfriend away, strike (baddie) again yell at her to get the car started for G--'s sake and run a bit more - or stuff I haven't thought of?

Excellent post. I practice running. Walk away, run away, defend yourself. At that point you know it is very serious and appropriate measures must be taken.

T

TangSooGuy

wanted to clarify- I actually teach this a s the first and most important self-defense technique.

Run away/ avoid. if you can get away w/out having to hit or get hit- even better.

I

islandtime

Originally posted by Bod

Run away! Run away!

..............................................................................................
You have brought up an interesting point.

There is very little emphasis in the dojo on aerobic workouts.
With the majority of workouts done indoors and anerobic there is no room to do any running..

This is a point that usually needs some work.. Every workout should have some of both types of exercise involved.
This will work well for fighting and running away.

When I first started in MA back in the dark ages, we always ran laps inside the dojo or out in the parking lot at the start of each class.. This was a great way to warm up muscles before stretching and the rest of class...

And that running really would help if you needed to get the heck out of dodge..

Gene Gabel

T

thaiboxer

Originally posted by Bod

Run away! Run away!

i always practice the techniques that i can pull off when im blind drunk basically, cause thats usually when you need them, in a pub, or on the street in between pubs. dont run, in fact never turn your back, they can do anything to you from behind, always watch your opponent, until they are down and/or out.

T

thaiboxer

Originally posted by TangSooGuy

wanted to clarify- I actually teach this a s the first and most important self-defense technique.

Run away/ avoid. if you can get away w/out having to hit or get hit- even better.

pretty dangerous self defence technique really, turning your back. thats the last thing id do. heres where real fighting spirit and your own inner confidence to take someone out quickly comes into play. it separates the real fighters from the pretenders. thats what its all about really all boiled down, might as well not do a martial art if your not gonna use it to defend oneself.

T

TangSooGuy

Read my first post- this is for teaching kids- and note that I teach when and where to hit and also when not to turn your back....

getting away is far more valuable to a six year old than standing and fighting an adult.

the real purpose of learning a martial art is to learn how NOT to fight, at least in my opinion...

I've had far more sucess talking my way out of conflicts than most peoplke have standing toe to toe w/ someone. i have no doubts about my ability to defend myself, but i see no reason to get into a legal battle for messing someone up if I don't have to...

T

thaiboxer

Originally posted by TangSooGuy

"Read my first post- this is for teaching kids- and note that I teach when and where to hit and also when not to turn your back...."

"getting away is far more valuable to a six year old than standing and fighting an adult."

just read your first post again, it doesnt mention a little kid up against an adult?
and yes if this was the case (if i had children of my own) i would definitely tell them to stay away from strangers or run from danger if they werent fully grown to accomodate a fight of that nature.

"the real purpose of learning a martial art is to learn how NOT to fight, at least in my opinion..."

well mate, id advise take up something else in your spare time, cause your in the wrong field. I cant think of any other reason why fighting techniques would have been invented. they are there for self defence, most were created on the ancient battlefields. quite frankly its not going to help you against a terror out on the turps looking to smash someone for fun.

"I've had far more sucess talking my way out of conflicts than most peoplke have standing toe to toe w/ someone. i have no doubts about my ability to defend myself, but i see no reason to get into a legal battle for messing someone up if I don't have to...
"

well you dont have to mess them up, just punch their cheekbones and give them a warning not to mess with you. theyll have some nice little bruises. wait for them to swing at you, then mess them up, they have no grounds to stand on then "you were in physical danger"

T

thaiboxer

Originally posted by sweeper

if you are out of reach of the than you can run can't you?

waht if they can run faster than you? then your in trouble. i guess it all depends on the size difference. im 6'2" so i dont care, anyone threatens me they go down. but if i were smaller and/or weaker perhaps id have a different attitude.

T

TangSooGuy

Ok..not trying to start any arguments here, but here's my personal philosophy on conflict:

Get out of the situation by doing the LEAST amount of damage possible to the other guy without getting hurt yourself.

This will vary depending on situation, experience and skill.

In one situation, the least amount of damage may be none at all, by talking your way out, or running away. On the opposite extreme, it is possible that you may have to kill the other guy in order to get away with your own life.

If you don't prepare yourself for both ends of the spectrum, Idon't think you're really prepared at all.

again, just my opinion....

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Zujitsuka

Sambo expert Dr. Brett Jacques has an interesting article on his site regarding this issue.

That was interesting.

As to the topic at hand, I have seen instructors have students practice, at the end of techniques, shoving a person away from them then making as though they were about to run. My JKD instructor often emphasizes the shove-them-away-after-HKE part, in preparation for getting out of the situation.

If you don't practice it, you run the risk of performing as you train--i.e., choosing to stand and fight because you don't even think about getting out of there.

I find the "don't turn your back" arguments somewhat specious--running means doing it as a confrontation is developing, prior to being in that range. As a slow runner though I do sympathize with the thought that running may be a poor gambit if someone is apt to catch up with you and then have your back.

S

sweeper

one thing thaiboxer you live in australia and I live in the US, from what I understand courts side a little diffrent in some other countries, here if you hit the guy for ANY reason he can sue you and has a chance to win, you would have to show that you had good reason to do what you did and that you tried to do the leaste dammage posable.. so running is a good option.

also the size thing is something to think about, I'm 5'11'' and 160lbs so when a 6'2'' 200lb guy comes at me I won't want to stick around.

Additionaly it is realy hard to hit someone in the back when they are running.. they will have to catch you first, and I mean tackal you.. and depending on what they want to hurt you for they might not think it's worth the trouble. also running is usefull for relocating into a more suitable combat area or spreding multiple attackers out. IF you cary a weapon it might be a viable option to run, turn/strike, run and repeat untill the assailants leave you alone or go down.

B

big351stang

Hey what about trying to avoid the situation all togeather. lets say by takling it down, or jsut leaving before it starts??

Latest Discussions