RPG Thread?

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
For the record, can any of you tell me what games you HAVE played?
D&D editions 1,2,4 & 5, Pathfinder, Feng Shui, Tunnels & Trolls, The Fantasy Trip, Gamma World, probably a few others I've forgotten, plus an assortment of computer or console based RPGs (Dragon Age, Fallout, Skyrim, Shadowrun, etc)

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
The only games I play at the moment is gostop (japanese/korean gambling-based flower card game) with family, exploding kittens (another card game) occasionally, playing card uno. Toribash (ragdoll martial arts simulator) and Duelyst (board-based card game) online.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I play a little WoW, have played Pokemon, and dappled in mabinogi

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only tabletop RPG I ever played (enough to really know the game, as opposed to a session or two...) was D&D and then AD&D.
I played (and wrote code for) AberMUD II, III, IV and V. Played a few other flavors of MUD, but not to any great extent.
Diablo I, II and III, in spurts. I play a lot, for a while, then stop. Currently stopped. Hoping to hear more than rumors about D4.

OP
wingchun100

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
I may have gotten a little bit ahead of myself. I remember the basic rules of the game, but I cannot remember all the attributes that you will need to fill out, although I believe there are six.

On top of that, there are all the weapons stats, different types of monsters, hit points, experience points, etc.

My point is: keep an eye on this thread. I will get familiar with the rules again. Then we can fire it up!

OP
wingchun100

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
There was a game called NINJAS AND SUPERSPIES, which you would think would be a natural fit for a martial arts discussion board, but I remember the rules being ridiculously complicated.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I may have gotten a little bit ahead of myself. I remember the basic rules of the game, but I cannot remember all the attributes that you will need to fill out, although I believe there are six.

On top of that, there are all the weapons stats, different types of monsters, hit points, experience points, etc.

My point is: keep an eye on this thread. I will get familiar with the rules again. Then we can fire it up!

AD&D may not be the best option if you plan to start players out at 1st level. Magic users in particular aren't likely to have as much fun when their repertoire is limited to "cast their one daily spell and then hide behind the fighter because if they get so much as a scratch from the weakest of enemies then they're probably dead."

OP
wingchun100

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
AD&D may not be the best option if you plan to start players out at 1st level. Magic users in particular aren't likely to have as much fun when their repertoire is limited to "cast their one daily spell and then hide behind the fighter because if they get so much as a scratch from the weakest of enemies then they're probably dead."

True, except I adhere to the belief that the only rules are the ones the GM makes. I'm not saying that people would never feel a sense of urgency, or that their character was in danger. However, I would make it a little less punitive.

And not for nothing, but the only way a magic user would run into that is if the GM threw anything other than kobolds at you when you are a newbie. I would not stack the cards that high against people.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
True, except I adhere to the belief that the only rules are the ones the GM makes.

Unless all the players have the same rule books, play by post would probably be a good opportunity for a simplified home-brew ruleset. Let the DM worry about most of the numbers and stats and rolls behind the scenes and let the players worry about acting out their roles in the story.

And not for nothing, but the only way a magic user would run into that is if the GM threw anything other than kobolds at you when you are a newbie. I would not stack the cards that high against people.

My complaint about AD&D for first level wizards is less about how easily they die and more about how they don't have anything to do after they've cast their one spell for the day. Later editions were a great improvement in that regard.

OP
wingchun100

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Unless all the players have the same rule books, play by post would probably be a good opportunity for a simplified home-brew ruleset. Let the DM worry about most of the numbers and stats and rolls behind the scenes and let the players worry about acting out their roles in the story.

My complaint about AD&D for first level wizards is less about how easily they die and more about how they don't have anything to do after they've cast their one spell for the day. Later editions were a great improvement in that regard.

I've always manipulated any rules that seem ridiculous, and that is certainly one of them.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dang...posted over three years ago...never got a reply. LOL I guess it shouldn't be a shock if most martial artists are not into RPG's.
Honestly, when I saw this pop up on "Recent Posts", I thought, "Who the hell is posting on here about rocket-propelled grenades??"

As for the type of RPG more appropriate to the "Game Room" section you posted this in, I don't spend much time with them any more. I still like to play occasionally, but between my martial arts, my consulting business, and the rest of my life, I just don't have much time to commit to them. Maybe when I retire from consulting.

OP
wingchun100

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Honestly, when I saw this pop up on "Recent Posts", I thought, "Who the hell is posting on here about rocket-propelled grenades??"

As for the type of RPG more appropriate to the "Game Room" section you posted this in, I don't spend much time with them any more. I still like to play occasionally, but between my martial arts, my consulting business, and the rest of my life, I just don't have much time to commit to them. Maybe when I retire from consulting.

Me either, because I don't have the time to meet with my friends. Play by post offers the perfect solution to that.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't remember that rule. Either I've blocked it from my head, or we just always ignored it. Or we just cheated and didn't start at lvl 1 (which we did often).

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Me either, because I don't have the time to meet with my friends. Play by post offers the perfect solution to that.
Except I'd expect to be dead when I come back after being gone for a week or so - a regular occurrence. I'd come back to find Tony's thief had poisoned me and stolen all my gold, or Drop Bear would have showed up as a half-orc and thrown me into some abyss deep in a cave.

OP
wingchun100

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Except I'd expect to be dead when I come back after being gone for a week or so - a regular occurrence. I'd come back to find Tony's thief had poisoned me and stolen all my gold, or Drop Bear would have showed up as a half-orc and thrown me into some abyss deep in a cave.

That is where the GM steps in to not allow things like that. Plus, in a play by post, the game is essentially on "pause" until you reply. I would never let someone say, "Okay, well GP Seymour isn't replying, so I take his character and throw him into a lava pool." Not gonna happen on MY watch.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That is where the GM steps in to not allow things like that. Plus, in a play by post, the game is essentially on "pause" until you reply. I would never let someone say, "Okay, well GP Seymour isn't replying, so I take his character and throw him into a lava pool." Not gonna happen on MY watch.
What if I overhear his character saying he wants to be thrown in a lava pool, after giving me all of his money? Surely, then it's ok, right?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, but that's half the fun of being gone - coming back to be told your half-elf is naked in the middle of a clearing, and all you have left is a dagger and a note that says, "Thanks for the cloak! -Buka"