Royce Gracie trains in a style Ive heard

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The Gracies have been beat several times. Matt Hughes pulverized Royce Gracie in the first round of their UFC bout in 2006, and Kazushi Sakuraba beat so many Gracies that he became known as the "Gracie Hunter" in Japan. The majority of the people that beat them though learned Bjj first, and then beat them. What added so much to their mystique was the perceived invincibility of Bjj before it was dispersed worldwide, and the bravado at which the Gracies promoted their art.

Love them or hate them, it took balls to put yourself on the line like they did over and over again.

Can't believe no one much remembers or aware of that 2000 Pride match of Sakuraba vs Royce, a marathon 90 minute battle, with Sakuraba coming out on top (that was the one where Coleman (possibly roided to the max (maybe not...)) was unstoppable and took the overall tournament). Sakuraba then later went on to break Royce's arm/elbow when Royce would not submit. One of my favourite fighters, he defeated Royce, Renzo, Ryan and Royler. Those masks were a real hoot also!!!

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
upload_2014-12-11_16-49-46.jpeg

And ouch:

images

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Can't believe no one much remembers or aware of that 2000 Pride match of Sakuraba vs Royce, a marathon 90 minute battle, with Sakuraba coming out on top (that was the one where Coleman (possibly roided to the max (maybe not...)) was unstoppable and took the overall tournament). Sakuraba then later went on to break Royce's arm/elbow when Royce would not submit. One of my favourite fighters, he defeated Royce, Renzo, Ryan and Royler. Those masks were a real hoot also!!!

It was Renzo's arm that Sakuraba broke, not Royce's. Saku was a real killer with that Kimura armlock.

Ralek Graice managed to defeat Sakuraba some years later. I believe he spent a lot of time training to steer clear of the Kimura.

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It was Renzo's arm that Sakuraba broke, not Royce's. Saku was a real killer with that Kimura armlock.

Ralek Graice managed to defeat Sakuraba some years later. I believe he spent a lot of time training to steer clear of the Kimura.
Thanks for the correction!
Not Gracie bashing at all as thought they were brilliant fighters but I remember being disappointed over a fight between Frank Shamrock, that often troubled but brilliant and gifted fighter, and Renzo when Shamrock was disqualified for a knee (or two) into Renzos head. Renzo wouldn't come back into the fight and Shamrock's line was "he thought they had come to fight" (not in the rules though, tut tut...). I thnk Shamrock had beat Cessar a few years earlier...

ShotoNoob

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I haven't ever heard anything along those lines… in fact, it would seem to go against what Royce has said.

Again, that was Royce's view, not necessarily mine… but I don't think it supports the idea of him also doing karate. I'd be interested if anyone else has heard something about it, though…
\
I think yours is the accurate assessment.... I don't believe Royce Gracie knows anything about karate.

Might be the start of a new snappy line -

"That's as likely as a Gracie taking Karate."
\
Runner up for the accurate assessment of Gracie knowledge of karate...

The Gracies have a very good track record against Karate;

\
Correction: The Gracie's have a very good track record against 'karate' IN THEIR PROMOTIONAL VIDEOS....

Per statements he has made, Royce does have a black belt in karate, although I don't know the style.

Here's one interview where he makes the claim.

I don't believe he studied karate for the sake of using the art, but for the sake of understanding how to fight against it.
\
Well, IMHO, the first part of your last sentence is certainly true. On the 2nd part of that sentence.... the Gracie penetration of strikers is typically demonstrated using boxing form, some bad boxing form @ that....

I think what I would take away from that is that these mma dudes practice a whole mess of things without truly grasping any of them. Yeah they can throw down like nobody's business, but in the end they are a jack-of-all-trades and master of none.

In regards to his training in karate? I wouldn't doubt it. Many BJJ guys do karate as a base stand up game. Lyoto Machida, arguably one of the better UFC fighters, started with Shotokan Karate when he was young, and frankly you can tell by the way he moves in the octagon.
\
Machida trained the Shotokan karate base from childhood through adulthood. Royce Gracie has no such experience.... that any one has substantiated....

The Gracies have been beat several times. Matt Hughes pulverized Royce Gracie in the first round of their UFC bout in 2006, and Kazushi Sakuraba beat so many Gracies that he became known as the "Gracie Hunter" in Japan. The majority of the people that beat them though learned Bjj first, and then beat them. What added so much to their mystique was the perceived invincibility of Bjj before it was dispersed worldwide, and the bravado at which the Gracies promoted their art.

Love them or hate them, it took balls to put yourself on the line like they did over and over again.
\
Matt Hughes literally sailed through Royce Gracie's 'karate style.' If you could call it that. Matt Hughes also flattened Royce Gracie's BJJ like a pancake....