Royce Gracie trains in a style Ive heard

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Although Royce Gracie is best known for JiuJitsu I also heard he trains in a style of Karate. Im not sure but I think it might be Goju Ryu.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I haven't ever heard anything along those lines… in fact, it would seem to go against what Royce has said. At a seminar with him a few years back, he was asked about what his take on MMA was… and, in essence, he said that "people who do MMA only do it because they can't do (only) one thing well enough"… with the implication that BJJ (specifically Gracie JJ) was all anyone would ever need, if they were good enough at it… those that do striking, or cross-training, or anything along those lines, such as MMA approaches, are simply compensating for their lack of ability in the one area by adding others.

Again, that was Royce's view, not necessarily mine… but I don't think it supports the idea of him also doing karate. I'd be interested if anyone else has heard something about it, though…

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
From what I know of the family, they're not too fond of karate or kata. As far as I know, they tend to gravitate towards boxing or MT kickboxing.

I'm not saying that it wouldn't be possible, it just seems unlikely.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Its something I heard from some casual discussion about Royce and Im trying to validate it, to see if anybody else heard anything about it. Although I haven't found any solid evidence on it, I wouldn't be surprised if he did. There is value in training in styles that are radically different than your primary style, for one thing you can learn better on how to defend against that style.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Might be the start of a new snappy line -

"That's as likely as a Gracie taking Karate."

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is value in training in styles that are radically different than your primary style, for one thing you can learn better on how to defend against that style.

In what way though, an open tournament or seminar type thing?

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Its something I heard from some casual discussion about Royce and Im trying to validate it, to see if anybody else heard anything about it. Although I haven't found any solid evidence on it, I wouldn't be surprised if he did. There is value in training in styles that are radically different than your primary style, for one thing you can learn better on how to defend against that style.

The Gracies have a very good track record against Karate;

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
I haven't ever heard anything along those lines… in fact, it would seem to go against what Royce has said. At a seminar with him a few years back, he was asked about what his take on MMA was… and, in essence, he said that "people who do MMA only do it because they can't do (only) one thing well enough"… with the implication that BJJ (specifically Gracie JJ) was all anyone would ever need, if they were good enough at it… those that do striking, or cross-training, or anything along those lines, such as MMA approaches, are simply compensating for their lack of ability in the one area by adding others.

Again, that was Royce's view, not necessarily mine… but I don't think it supports the idea of him also doing karate. I'd be interested if anyone else has heard something about it, though…
Don’t know about Royce training in karate but as to his statements on MMA, perhaps he has changed? Don't keep up with everything about the Gracies however, in a interview a few months after Metamoris 3 with ‘The MMA Hour’ when asked about competing under grappling rules,Royce stated …”I haven’t got any offers, but I don’t compete in grappling rules, I’m a MMA fighter man, I’m a MMA fighter all the way.” Or, perhaps he was being facetious.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Per statements he has made, Royce does have a black belt in karate, although I don't know the style.

Here's one interview where he makes the claim.

I don't believe he studied karate for the sake of using the art, but for the sake of understanding how to fight against it.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Don’t know about Royce training in karate but as to his statements on MMA, perhaps he has changed? Don't keep up with everything about the Gracies however, in a interview a few months after Metamoris 3 with ‘The MMA Hour’ when asked about competing under grappling rules,Royce stated …”I haven’t got any offers, but I don’t compete in grappling rules, I’m a MMA fighter man, I’m a MMA fighter all the way.” Or, perhaps he was being facetious.

When Royce says that he is a MMA fighter, he is referring to the competition format which incorporates both striking and grappling. When he criticizes modern MMA, he is criticizing the modern fighting art that MMA is becoming which is synthesized from a variety of older arts. He's much more of a "style vs style" guy.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Per statements he has made, Royce does have a black belt in karate, although I don't know the style.

I don't believe he studied karate for the sake of using the art, but for the sake of understanding how to fight against it.

That's interesting. I wonder what style he has a black belt in.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Perhaps… the comments I mentioned were part of a Q&A session at the end of a seminar here some 5 years or so back.

Interesting… cool find.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
When Royce says that he is a MMA fighter, he is referring to the competition format which incorporates both striking and grappling. When he criticizes modern MMA, he is criticizing the modern fighting art that MMA is becoming which is synthesized from a variety of older arts. He's much more of a "style vs style" guy.
He trained Muay Thai, Fairtex if I remember correctly prior to his fight with Matt Hughes

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
I want to ask did the gracies that compete UFC loose to somebody? I mean all the clips I have seen abou the gracies they win in all of them so I was wondering if someone beat them at leas once and want to know how was it.

Manny

Probs92

White Belt
Reaction score

I think what I would take away from that is that these mma dudes practice a whole mess of things without truly grasping any of them. Yeah they can throw down like nobody's business, but in the end they are a jack-of-all-trades and master of none.

In regards to his training in karate? I wouldn't doubt it. Many BJJ guys do karate as a base stand up game. Lyoto Machida, arguably one of the better UFC fighters, started with Shotokan Karate when he was young, and frankly you can tell by the way he moves in the octagon.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I want to ask did the gracies that compete UFC loose to somebody? I mean all the clips I have seen abou the gracies they win in all of them so I was wondering if someone beat them at leas once and want to know how was it.

Are you asking about any MMA or just the UFC?

In the UFC, both Royce and Renzo Gracie have lost to Matt Hughes. Roger Gracie lost to Tim Kennedy.

Various Gracies have also lost a number of fights in other MMA promotions.

The technical level of MMA fighters has come a long, long way in the last 20 years. At this point I don't believe there are any Gracie family members competing at the highest levels of MMA.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Manny

The Gracies have been beat several times. Matt Hughes pulverized Royce Gracie in the first round of their UFC bout in 2006, and Kazushi Sakuraba beat so many Gracies that he became known as the "Gracie Hunter" in Japan. The majority of the people that beat them though learned Bjj first, and then beat them. What added so much to their mystique was the perceived invincibility of Bjj before it was dispersed worldwide, and the bravado at which the Gracies promoted their art.

Love them or hate them, it took balls to put yourself on the line like they did over and over again.

Latest Discussions