Roy Harris or Pedro Sauer?

Reaction score
Ok, so I think this year I'll finally be able to start BJJ training. I've been going through my options and I find that it seems I can train with a group under Roy Harris or a group under Pedro Sauer. I've checked out both groups and like both instructors heading up those groups, so I'm looking for some opinions from anyone else who may have been associated with these organizations on what to expect as far as training and requirements from either organization.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Ok, so I think this year I'll finally be able to start BJJ training. I've been going through my options and I find that it seems I can train with a group under Roy Harris or a group under Pedro Sauer. I've checked out both groups and like both instructors heading up those groups, so I'm looking for some opinions from anyone else who may have been associated with these organizations on what to expect as far as training and requirements from either organization.
Can't go wrong either way. Both Roy Harris and Pedro Sauer are well known, well respected black belts in BJJ.

I can think of two relatively local black belts who are held in very high regard. Roy Dean is down in Oregon and is a Roy Harris black belt. Over in Idaho, Keith Owen is a black belt. Both of these guys have put out terrific instructionals.

Both organizations are large, have a number of affiliiates and as such, a relatively large extended jits family. It would be very easy to verify the lineage, as both Pedro Sauer and Roy Harris make their promotions lists publicly available. It's not a difficult thing to check out to make sure that someone claiming to be a Pedro Sauer affiliate really is one. Same with Roy Harris.

It's really about the individual instructors at this point. Top notch black belts can make crappy teachers. I'd check out both schools, take a lesson from each, see how the classes are structured, how much they're charging, class schedule and personality of the school.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

The guy that I train with in BJJ is a Brown Belt under Roy Harris. He goes out to see Roy as well as having him down here for seminars. He seems to be very happy. Roy does list all of his affiliate groups, ranks, etc, on his site.

I've heard good things about Pedro as well.

As Steve said, check out both places, and see which you like the best. :)

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Excellent advise. Check out both instructors and see which fits you the best and which one you can learn under. Good luck!

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am envious that you have those options. In my area, we have no BJJ schools. To have those options is awesome.

OP
P
Reaction score
Jon- They're not in my immediate vacintity, I'd have to travel a bit to train, but that's not unusual or a big problem for me.

Thanks for the input. I'll feel a bit more comfortable with my decision knowing that either way I'll be in a good program. I've had a chance to train with both instructors and they both great, so I guess I'll have to look a little harder at travel and training expenses.