Rolled ankle injury ;)

Discussion in 'Health Tips for the Martial Artist' started by _Simon_, Sep 25, 2018.

1. gpseymour

gpseymour Sr. Grandmaster

Top Poster Of Month

• Supporting Member
    I learned some time ago that x-ray reading is part art, part science. The detail is very hazy, and it's not uncommon for two experts to read the same x-ray differently.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. JR 137

JR 137 Senior Master

CT scan is far more sophisticated. The picture looks like a 3D model of the structure. It’s the best view you can get without opening it up surgically.

I’ve never heard of ultrasound being used for imaging this way.

As far as crutches are concerned, walking boot instead IMO. There’s very, very few instances where crutches are preferred; this doesn’t seem like one. I could be wrong though.

• Like Like x 1
  3. JR 137

JR 137 Senior Master

MRI is as well. It’s better than X-Ray but I’ve seen several surgeons disagree with the physician who writes the MRI reports. It really depends on the specific injury. Some are clear cut, others aren’t.

4. gpseymour

Top Poster Of Month

• Supporting Member
    When I had the MRI on my arm, they gave me the images on DVD. It was really fascinating to look at. Nothing in there looked a bit like a torn muscle, to me. A few things looked vaguely like bones, but that's about all I could figure out.

5. JR 137

JR 137 Senior Master

Yeah, it’s not like looking at a nice colorful anatomy textbook. And when you look at an MRI, it’s like looking at the anatomy if you were to cut it on a meat slicer. You just have to know what angle you’re looking from and how deep you are. I got pretty good at looking at them, but it takes a while. You need someone to point things out when you first start seeing them. After you’ve seen a bunch of them with someone pointing out what to look for and know what to look for yourself it becomes relatively easy.

They’re a lot like ultrasound pictures in that way. You see a bunch of gray areas, then someone says “there’s the baby’s eyes, nose, mouth” etc. then you wonder how you didn’t see it all along. If you don’t know what you’re looking for specifically, you won’t see it.

Looking at musculature is tough. I’ve always looked at joints and looked for things like ligaments, cartilage, bones, etc.

If you’ve still got it, look for swelling, as that’ll be present wherever there’s an injury. Swelling will show up as brightish white spots. Then again it could be difficult to differentiate it from fat which is basically the same color. I could explain the difference, but I’d have to point it out which isn’t going to work here. And not being an expert, I could mess it up too.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. _Simon_

_Simon_ Master Black Belt

Ah that's good about the surgery, doesn't seem like a massive procedure.

I've only been assisting in the kid's class in my old dojo. It's a highlight of my week, but it might be a bit tricky to help with this, just as we all stand at the front and do all the techniques along with them, and we then go around and help anyone that needs help. Will see though...

Yeah crutches make sense, but will wait until the CT results come in. This morning at the CT he said about 1-2 weeks or so.. I'll keep it strapped for now.

Ah right hehe, it would be a tricky picture to interpret I'd imagine!

• Like Like x 1
  7. _Simon_

Yeah I didn't actually think they did ultrasounds for the ankle area just how awkward it is there, but I could see alot pretty clearly on the screen. It's a boy by the way! XD

Yeah the boot makes sense. Will wait to see results if I need to keep the area really immobile. I don't mind crutches though, I found them quite fun when I had them many years ago hehe.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. _Simon_

Mmmm..... had a call saying the results were already in from the CT scan, that was fast! But the plot thickens...

So yeh CT scan also showed a small avulsion fracture at the top of the foot in between two other bits and bone fragment :s. So basically... have to get a cast put on asap. Then physiotherapy after a little while with that on. What an interesting turn of events...

I also asked her if it would need a surgical procedure to remove the bone fragment but she wouldn't think it would be needed.

I'm currently not working anyway so that's not an issue, but was currently looking for work haha, may have to find a very very stationary job if it exists haha, any suggestions? Toll booth operator? A very specific type of street performer? XD

And... was the gold medal at the tournament and everything that it symbolized and meant to me worth all this?

........... abso-freakin-lutely :)

(I really needed some perspective right now, so I'm feeling at peace with alot of it)

That being said, I'm going to go do chinups and dips now. This time'll also give me a chance to work on my left leg pistol squats ;D

Ah here was the ct result paper[​IMG]

9. Yokazuna514

Yokazuna514 Green Belt

Osu, good news bad news scenario but glad you had it checked out. Now you know the answer. R&R is the best route to a speedy recovery. Good luck and keep us posted on the job search ;) .

10. gpseymour

Top Poster Of Month

• Supporting Member
    Not the best news, but no surgery. Keep that good attitude and figure out what you can work on while you recover.

11. _Simon_

Yeah for sure it was good that I had it checked out.. thanks ;D. Today am actually going to watch/support a senior grading at my old Kyokushin club (two people going for nidan, two for shodan), just to fuel my inspiration for persevering in this time :).
    Yeah I will for sure, well I'll try my best. Thank you. I can still do hand techniques right? Hehe

• Like Like x 1