Robo-guards now in S. Korean Prisons

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
(aaannnd, cue Terminator theme for background music).... In our not too distant future...
The next time you find yourself in a South Korean prison (and don't worry, it happens to the best of us), this not especially friendly looking robot is going to be either your new best buddy or your new worst enemy. But probably the latter.

[yt]HCIYGdlH9Y0[/yt]

http://spectrum.ieee.org/automaton/...ts/robocops-now-guarding-south-korean-prisons
This is the scary part... hope TSA don't get wind of this... good gawd!
The next step is, apparently, a robot that "conducts body searches," which strikes me as an application that could be particularly unpleasant for the end user. But that might be the whole idea, I suppose: how likely are you to try and sneak contraband into a prison if you encounter a robot snapping a latex glove over its steely, probe-like fingers?

Last edited by a moderator:

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oh dear. Here we go, even if rather slowly for now.

If they start using phrases like "Perfect operational record" for these things, time to start pledging allegiance to John Connor.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
They have similar things at the hospitals here. they transport medicine and charts and stuff from location to location they are neat little things. They just tell it where to go and off it rolls until it gets there.

OP
MA-Caver

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Uh, you spelled Robocop wrong...
No, Don I don't think so. Robocop was a good guy. Perhaps I mis-spelled ED-209 wrong. Either way... bad news all around.
Me no lika machines replacing the work of men, even if it's for the purpose of making our lives easier, safer, and all that bla bla bla.
Men must NOT grow soft. Centuries of civilization have been built from the sweat of men, not the stench of grease on gears.
Look at any surviving edifice and you'll see what I mean. Even if they're dead cities (like Chernobyl will be) from the past, i.e. Greece, Egypt, Rome, Babylon, Macchu Piccu, Ankor, the Mayan cities, Norte Dame, Taj Mahal, Great Wall and so forth to this day.
Working hard makes us strong and our generations strong. Machines... they'll take that away little by little. Generation by generation.
Unless we stop the reliance.

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
Eh, I don't think TSA will be too intrested. It doesn't enable them to see young women's nude bodies ;)

Latest Discussions