Robert Bussey.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The current (Oct. 2003) issue of Black Belt has an article featuring Robert Bussey. It's hype on terrorism, but it presents him very much as a security professional and makes no mention of ninjutsu (that I noticed).

Jay Bell

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It shouldn't...he hasn't studied Ninpo in what....two decades, I believe (someone correct me if that's off)? His security work is very much his own beast.

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Do you know if he bases his specific techniques off of his earlier ninpo training or something else?

Jay Bell

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't really know. The last time I saw him do any Ninpo (albeit badly) was back on his Ninjutsu videos.

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
After he stopped actively practicing ninjutsu, wasn't Bussey head of some Robert Bussey Warrior International or somesuch?

Cthulhu

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I remember RBWI. I wonder if it's folded? I'm guessing Yes.

Hmmmmmm:
http://www.busseystyle.com/about/legacy_rbwi.shtml

Considered by many to be America's foremost authority on the subject of realistic combat, Bussey retired in 1997 as C.E.O. of Robert Bussey's Warrior International (RBWI). Later, as Chairman of the "Centre For the Advancement of Protective Studies", Bussey developed the research that contributed to the inception of Genuine Bussey Style.

And:
http://www.busseystyle.com/resources/magazine-reign1.shtml

Robert Bussey's Warrior International Sat Atop the Ninjutsu World for 20 Years

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ender
never heard of him..*shrug

I remember him from Ninja magazine back when I was a teen... he always had a brown and white camo Gi on...

P

pknox

I do remember hearing about him in relation to the aforementioned organization, and also him having a bunch of Panther videos. Didn't he also have an "earn your black belt by mail" program as well, or am I confusing him with someone else?

T

twinkletoes

I love the camo gi's. What a statement (of fashion, if nothing else). It's like "WHOA! How did you find that gi? No, I mean it.....how did you find it? ;) "

I don't think I could ever train with someone who wore a camo gi. Mostly because he would constantly disappear from sight, like when kermit the frog stands in front of something green and covers his eyes....

~TT

Jay Bell

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
*chuckle* Yeah...

Bussey did study under Hatsumi sensei for a short period of time. This was during Stephen Hayes' training in Japan.

Bujingodai

Black Belt
Reaction score
I am torn on the issue. I have emailed RB a few times. He seemes pretty proffesional. He doesn't talk anything of the Ninjutsu. Now people speak of his fakeness. He received a Yondan under Hatsumi, back when the training was very 1-1 and hard style. So then he would be a good 4th Dan one would imagine. Why does he regard so much guff then. But I wasn't around then so I don't know verbatim. How much of this is fact, did he not get a Yondan from Hatsumi.

Jay Bell

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
He recieved Yondan from Nagato sensei so that he could take the Godan test. He was a Shodan, I believe, before this.

He received Yondan and left the country...and hasn't been back since.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Jay Bell
It shouldn't...he hasn't studied Ninpo in what....two decades, I believe (someone correct me if that's off)? His security work is very much his own beast.

You're right! His main focus now is on his new org.

Mike

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Originally posted by arnisador
Do you know if he bases his specific techniques off of his earlier ninpo training or something else?

Even back when he had his RBWI, he modified the traditional Ninjutus tech. to make them more applicable for the street. As for what he's teaching now, it looks to me like it still has a hint of Ninjutsu in it, just spiced up a little!

Mike

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Jay Bell
What garbage...

I dont think I'd call it garbage. I think that the main reason that people got upset with what he was doing, and talked about him so much was due to the fact that he was improving Ninjutsu. Look at Hayes. He was one of the biggest people to talk about Bussey and now look at him----he's doing the same thing as Bussey! He is calling his art To Shin Do----to me that sounds like he's done some modification.

Mike