Risk Management - Your thoughts on it? Any tips?

Hawk79

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi there,

I am really interested in working on a comprehensive defensive system. In general, I think MMA, Muay Thai, Boxing, Wrestling etc etc are pretty good for the physical aspect of defence. So my personal interest is not in trying to recreate effective physical skills. I want to work on all the non-physical aspects of defence (e.g. legal issues, situational awareness, risk management, protection tactics (bodyguarding) etc etc).

Note that I refer to "defence" which is more general than "self-defence". Defence in this context would also cover defending others and property.

For this first topic, I was wondering if people wanted to share with me their own ideas or suggestions about risk management as it relates to defence. The way I propose to do this is to take as many ideas as possible and attempt to summarise them in an easy to read format that is as comprehensive as possible. Feel free to disagree with each other as much as you like.

I think a defender should conduct a risk assessment well before any physical confrontation. For example, he might conduct it on his home, or the path he follows to work. The standard framework would be:

1. Identify a hazard/opportunity.
2. Assess the risk (likelihood x consequences).
3. Implement controls.
4. Monitor controls.

An example of a hazard might be blindspot near the front door of your home where it would be easy for someone to ambush you from. You might assess the risk taking into account the level of crime in your neighborhood. You could implement a control by prunning the tree that is blocking your view or put a light up. There are various types of controls. For example, you can "transfer risk" by having someone else go into a dangerous neighborhood to pick up your groceries. Generally with risk management the controls are to "eliminate, mitigate, or isolate" the risk.

Having insurance is a type of transfer risk. This can be useful when it comes to "defence" of property.

And of course, people often forget that risk management involves both hazards (negative) and opportunities (something positive). For example, you could identity the opportunity to walk home with your coworker late at night or catch a ride with them.

I'm giving examples here, but the main thing I am interested in is defensive risk management principles.

If enough people are interested and I get plenty of feedback, it is my intention to create an entire review of defensive tactics that covers all areas (besides the physical techniques): protection, law enforcement, women's self defence, defence against weaker/sick people, legal issues etc etc. It will always be something to "add on" to your martial arts skills rather than a martial art itself.

Thank you for your interest and taking the time to read through.

OP
H

Hawk79

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
What will be the best defensive tactic if you are a passenger on this bus?
Thanks for the response.

In this topic I am just focusing specifically on risk management - or do you mean how could someone lower their risk of being attacked on a bus?

To be honest, I don't know. My initial thoughts would be to sit up the front in one of the seats wiith your back facing the driver - with everyone else in front of you. This also positions you close to the door in case you need to exit.

This would be something that could be a potential control in response to a specific hazard - but it does depend on the hazard.

Do you have any ideas?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Have you heard of the OODA loop? It sounds pretty similar to what you are describing here.

Latest Discussions