riot baton side handle?

Porong

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
can you think of any tactical advantage to adding a side handle to a riot baton?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not especially. Unless you peg the guy with the handle like a hammer.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Depends on if you are just talking about a baton/club/nightstick that was used by law enforcement. Then when you added the side handle it was the PR-24 (tonfa). OR are you talking about actual riot sticks that are a thick hickory stick about 3 foot in length? It's usage would be more in line with hanbo techniques than a PR-24 strategy.

D

Deleted member 39746

I believe it aids holding it slightly and i think you can get more force in some types of hitting. And you can block with and shorten/lengthen the instrument. You could also use it for thrusting if you flip it around from the traditional stance.

And i think somone posted a video detailing all that.
(they are banned here so i dont have a chance to fiddle with it)

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I believe it aids holding it slightly and i think you can get more force in some types of hitting. And you can block with and shorten/lengthen the instrument. You could also use it for thrusting if you flip it around from the traditional stance.

And i think somone posted a video detailing all that.
(they are banned here so i dont have a chance to fiddle with it)
Also used for traps, holds, and throws. Even chokes, although dangerous.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
We carried the PR-24. The one thing that felt was natural with the handle was holding it in an upper arm block, which I never remember using while on patrol. It was too long on my side when I started riding a patrol bike so I switched to a 6C-cell Maglight. Just the right length and weight. If I didn't need the torch the light portion was perfect for positioning my grip. I don't know if they would allow it these days.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We carried the PR-24. The one thing that felt was natural with the handle was holding it in an upper arm block, which I never remember using while on patrol. It was too long on my side when I started riding a patrol bike so I switched to a 6C-cell Maglight. Just the right length and weight. If I didn't need the torch the light portion was perfect for positioning my grip. I don't know if they would allow it these days.
I still have an old 6C Maglight, but it doesn't work. Man, those were a sweet size. Do they still make those things?

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I still have an old 6C Maglight, but it doesn't work. Man, those were a sweet size. Do they still make those things?
I still have mine out in one of the barns. I swapped the incandescent bulb for a LED bulb and it made a huge difference. I saw them on a couple of sites including ebay and they were called "vintage". I assume that means they are discontinued. 6D cell are still available. $48 bucks from Maglite.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still have mine out in one of the barns. I swapped the incandescent bulb for a LED bulb and it made a huge difference. I saw them on a couple of sites including ebay and they were called "vintage". I assume that means they are discontinued. 6D cell are still available. $48 bucks from Maglite.
Yeah, I have one of the D cell ones, too. Just not as well fitted to the hand, y'know?

I guess I need to either go pick up one of the "vintage" ones, or see if there's still a switch repair kit available for that one. I wonder where I put it...

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah, I have one of the D cell ones, too. Just not as well fitted to the hand, y'know?

I guess I need to either go pick up one of the "vintage" ones, or see if there's still a switch repair kit available for that one. I wonder where I put it...
I have never had to work on the switch but I imagine it is a tight fit.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have never had to work on the switch but I imagine it is a tight fit.
I haven't yet managed to pull the existing switch. As I recall, they make a tool for it, but it's not supposed to be necessary. I need to go back and find the instructions I have stored somewhere. But first I need to figure out where I put that flashlight when I cleaned up my shop - it was sitting in my project tray, but I "put it away".

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I haven't yet managed to pull the existing switch. As I recall, they make a tool for it, but it's not supposed to be necessary. I need to go back and find the instructions I have stored somewhere. But first I need to figure out where I put that flashlight when I cleaned up my shop - it was sitting in my project tray, but I "put it away".
If you have to purchase parts, I strongly recommend getting an LED bulb.

Latest Discussions