Rick Spangler/Alan Ennen

midnightfox00

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Okay...I posted this elsewhere as well...but have not had any responses yet. I was just curious if anyone has trained under either of these instructors...wanted to know creditability and so on...if anyone can help me out...it would be much appreciated.

- Fox

stephen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Okay...I posted this elsewhere as well...but have not had any responses yet. I was just curious if anyone has trained under either of these instructors...wanted to know creditability and so on...if anyone can help me out...it would be much appreciated.

- Fox

If by "credibility" you mean, "Are they real Bujinkan?":

I know that Rick has been in the Bujinkan for a while.

I've never trained with him.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I took a couple classes with Rick, and have trained with him and his guys at seminars.

OP
midnightfox00

midnightfox00

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
If by "credibility" you mean, "Are they real Bujinkan?":

I know that Rick has been in the Bujinkan for a while.

I've never trained with him.

Really, all I want to know is if he sticks with just bujinkan or if he brought other types of martial arts into it, like stephen hayes and what not.

Credibility was just used for lack of a better word at the time...

I just want to make sure before I go through the time and consideration that all is well...not trying to offend said people...just trying to look before I leap so to speak.

With him being in the Bujinkan for awhile I would believe he sticks closely to traditional Bujinkan as you can get here...meah, perhaps I assume too much...idk.

Either way, if upon acceptance into his dojo...I hope to learn as much as a I possibly can...thanks

Tengu6

Green Belt
Reaction score
Never trained with Rick but it is my understanding that there is a strong christian flavor to the way he teaches, that may or may not be what your looking for so you might want to ask him about that as well.

Markk Bush
www.bujinmag.com

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Never trained with Rick but it is my understanding that there is a strong christian flavor to the way he teaches, that may or may not be what your looking for so you might want to ask him about that as well.

Markk Bush
www.bujinmag.com

That's true of what I understand of his teachings now, but I never saw it back in the day when my first instuctor (who was a student of Ricks) took me down to a few classes with him. But, like I said, that was back in the day.

OP
midnightfox00

midnightfox00

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
what exactly does "christian flavor" mean? Like having morals and values...or teaching of god...

It is to my understanding that Ninjutsu/Bujinkan does not signify any certain type of religion, just a requirement of believing in something more than physical life. With that said, I would prefer not to feel like I am at church when I am trying to learn this art...so let's hope that it is only a moral/value thing.

Tengu6

Green Belt
Reaction score
You will have to check with Rick on that. I do know he teaches out of his church and to my understanding most of his students are from the church.

Markk Bush
www.bujinmag.com

aennen2

White Belt
Reaction score
Rick's morals and values are christian based and his students are not strictly from the church. Students are local to the area and through word of mouth, which for Rick being a pasture word of mouth tends to be through his contact in his role as pastuer :).

Rick teaches the 9 Ryu of the International Bujinkan, there are no religious requirements or religous teaching in class. As with Soke's statements, I see Rick looking for students who are good of heart and intent, religous background is not a factor.

Rick was recently promoted to Judan by Soke in Japan this spring and is one of the finest instructors you will find. His exceptional skills and insight in the art along with a real and deep caring for his students and the art make training under him a real pleasure. I have been a student of his since 1997

Alan (Sandan)