Richard Barathy/American Combat Karate

Status
Not open for further replies.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Is Dale Comstock in anyway related to Richard Barathy/American Combat Karate? I have seen video sets of him out and just wondered.

ravenwing

White Belt
Reaction score
The school in Levittown is closing up. But we are still having classes. Tomorrow, 7:30 is anyone is interested.

marmaduke

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I want to to say first I have the utmost respect for all of my Martial Arts Teachers. I have read the last 11 pages of posts about RichardBarathy. RichardBarathy will go down not only as one of the baddest asses the world has ever known but as a truly great teacher of self determination and self reliance. Any ACK student weather before me or after knows that they have a sink or swim mentality. You earn your belt by sparring everyone the next rank and holding your own then spar everyone in your rank and must show dominance. My credentials, Massapequa school 1984 to close, helped build KyoshiFinnegan’s Dojo in the basement. That ACKSchool became a Tai-Zen school circa 1986. I only went on one seminar upstate New York but it was an eye-opener.

Sometimes even the most basic lessons learned in Martial Arts and Life are understood but not necessarily followed. I was an ACK student for many years. We were told of MasterTauge and how he influenced and taught people like RichardBarathy and FrankFinnegan. RichardBarathy then became successful with the ACK schools and left Tauge's teachings to pursue the overseeing of the schools. Many fine schools were open. After reading the previous posts I know you people share something with me, the ability to believe in oneself. I left KyoshiFinnegan when he was in full swing with the Tai-Zen change over. It was 1987 and as a young person I missed the sparring of ACK. I was too immature to understand the change from ACK to Tai-Zen. ACK was about believing in your self through fighting. Tai-Zen teaches you about believing in your self through intelligence. Technique will always supersede Aggression. My biggest mistake was a lesson Taught by Tauge to Finnegan and Finnegan to me and my classmates, "My greatest enemy, myself". I will have to live with the regret for the rest of my life that I betrayed Finnegan who was showing me a better way. I also betrayed myself, Tai-Zen would always be my choice and I threw that away.

barathy.jr

White Belt
Reaction score
I would like to say hello to all. I would like to let you all know my father was a great man,one of the best martial artists ever,you dont get on the covers of magazines and do t.v shows for no reason.I'm glad to see he is still a topic of conversation,but the man died 12 years ago,and in the last years of his life he was different still great but in a different way and NOBODY knew him all this talk about him is from the early years.we all change. Let the man rest in peace. there is no American Combat Karate without him........

Z-28

White Belt
Reaction score
Your dad was a legend thats why this forum lives. Bruce Lee was a legend and will always be talked about. So I say why not let Kyoshi Barathys legend live on in this forum.

kwaichang

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Is any one familar with the late Mr.Barathy´s system? Are any of his former students actively teaching the system? His was a story of extreme determination. He battled lupus for many years, but God truly blessed the man with gut grit. One of his more well known students was, Mr.Mark Gastenau of pro., football fame. What ever happened to him by the way? I just think Mr. Barathy´s story is amazing. Can anyone answer my quiries?:asian:

I just came across this forum and saw Ricks name. I trained under Master Tague many moons ago. Rich stopped in from time to time and actually helped me, a white belt at the time, develop a front snap kick which knocked out an agressive yellow belt who was harrassing me in class. I´ll never forget that day. A few years later I met him at the Playboy Club Hotel in N.J. where he was participating in a demonstration. He was always polite to Tai Zen students, current and former and although he looked lilke one mean guy, he never was to me or any of my other contacts in martail arts.

One of the most memorable martial artists I´ve met in my long years of training.

Burnerbob

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I would like to say hello to all. I would like to let you all know my father was a great man,one of the best martial artists ever,you don't get on the covers of magazines and do t.v shows for no reason.I'm glad to see he is still a topic of conversation,but the man died 12 years ago,and in the last years of his life he was different still great but in a different way and NOBODY knew him all this talk about him is from the early years.we all change. Let the man rest in peace. there is no American Combat Karate without him........
First and foremost your father was a legend. True sickness changed him, as it has changed myself (degenerative arthritis).
However to say there is no ACK without him is like there is no "Karate" without Funakoshi, no "Judo" without Kano, no "Aikido" without Uyeshiba.

pjd5150

White Belt
Reaction score
wow, we are all impressed with your vast knowledge of the Martial Arts.
However, Richard Jr., who happens to be my cousin posted a beautiful statement about his father, my uncle. Why couldn't you just leave it alone?
American Combat Karate is Richard Barathy. Richard Barathy is American Combat Karate. It does live on through the ones who have learned from Kyoshi such as myself and my father and many others.
PJ

ravenwing

White Belt
Reaction score
I really do not want to see this thread cancelled. Let's all please try to watch the sarcasm OK. A suggestion would be simply for those who have no direct experience with ACK, to simply come and investigate the school and if you are not interested or don't like it, that's fine. I had investigated other schools at times when ACK was temporarily unreachable or there were no places to train, AND I learned a bit about other styles and they all have something to offer. I then always went back to ACK. BUT, that's not saying anything is better or worse, just a personal choice. I feel most prepared for the street in training in that style - BUT THAT'S JUST ME... Which school you are loyal to is your own personal choice. One thing martial arts has taught me is never to criticize schools of others. Any school is better than sitting home on the couch. Everyone should try to practice the same. The criticism does noboby any good. I wish everyone could've taken a class with Kyosi Bararthy as taking instruction from any teacher at that level is a privilege for anyone, from any school. Then, each student could form his / her own opinion and choose his / her style... Kyoshi lives in all his students as long as we keep training and practicing his ways --- Period.

marmaduke

White Belt
Reaction score
Ravenwing after reading your post I know that you are a very wise person. That was a great post. I was lucky enough to get some classes in @ Lynbrook. I feel very fortunate to have those experiences and hope everyone else realizes how intense ACK is. If any old students recoginize me please write.

ravenwing

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks. We are now training in Levittown using another school's dojo - Dynasty Martial Arts. 3099 Jerusalem Ave. If you can, come on down...

Inflorida

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm really blown away hearing Frank Finnigans name again! It's been 36 yrs! Did you also know a Sen Sei Pugliani? They both made Black Belt under Sen Sei Warren Montegnino whom I've mentioned here before. He actually had the original idea and started ACK breaking away from Tae Kwon Do. I remember the day Richie came to check this thing of ours out. The rest is history as they say! When the black belts sparred the students were sometimes allowed to watch....TRULY a frightening thing to see!

mitch2007

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello all,

Im glad I found this site.

I have all the respect in the world for the old school ACK guys.
However what about the old school Tai-Zen guys?

Vincent Miraglia, Sal Longobardi, Jim Meacan, etc...

Those guys were the best martial artists I've ever seen.
Can anybody here share experiences with them?

marmaduke

White Belt
Reaction score
Inflorida, I don't know if you were refferring to me. I met F. Finnegan in 1982 as a 14 year old boy. By the time I left in 1987 I felt like Kyoshi Finnegan had taught me how to handle myself amongst men. He was the Greatest Martial Arts teacher ever in my life. He taught much more than Martial Arts he taught us life lessons.

renshi23

White Belt
Reaction score
new to the site just wanted to say hi! training in ack for 30 years

pjd5150

White Belt
Reaction score
Who are you, if you don't mind my asking.
Oosh,
Paul DeAngelo Jr.
(PJ)

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Admin Note:

Let's keep this thread on topic, folks.

To introduce yourselves, please start a thread in the Meet & Greet forum. For idle chat, start a topical thread in the appropriate location.

Thank you,

G Ketchmark / shesulsa
MT Assist. Administrator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions