Richard Barathy/American Combat Karate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karjitsu

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Sensei James,
Long time since I heard from you. Do you ever see Renshi Craig or his brother Dywane? Last time I saw or heard from them was when we worked with my son Justin at Webster Hall. Thanks for the congrats.
Keep me posted.

Goju-Man

White Belt
Reaction score
No I have not seen them, but I saw that the TV show 20/20 just ran a special on Jeff getting shot and Marcus getting killed at the Palladium.

ackstreetround

White Belt
Reaction score
Just want to let you all know that the Levittown school is still open, and hollding classes for adults on Monday Tuesday and Thursday evenings. Rensei Impellizieri is the head instructor, and it is in the same location as Romeo's first school.

Kyoshi71, did we train together at Rensei Rocco's?

Kyoshi71

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Just want to let you all know that the Levittown school is still open, and hollding classes for adults on Monday Tuesday and Thursday evenings. Rensei Impellizieri is the head instructor, and it is in the same location as Romeo's first school.

If I knew who you were, I could answer that with some accuracy. However, if you trained at Renshi Rocco's, the answer is most likely yes.

Kyoshi71

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

Funny Public Profile. Who gave you your "Pink Belt?"

Bushi40

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hello all. It’s Gene Perceval

Just by chance I happen to come across this web site.

My name is Grand Master Gene Perceval, I have been in the Martial arts since 1955, and am currently still active in the arts. I don’t know where to begin this letter so I will just start from the beginning and write, and I’m sure that there will be much left out. Eventually I will get to my relationship with Richard Barathy.

I have known Warren Montenegrin and still do for over 50 or more years. When I returned from Korea as a 2nd Dan in Tae Kwon Do (which I was the first person to ever be tested in that style back Sunday April 18,1965) I started teaching Warren privately in his home, (we were long time friends with common interests). As time passed ,Warren passed his first degree black belt test and became my first black belt student. Warren was rather short about 5’5 or so, but, he was also a body builder and was built like a tree trunk. The time eventually came when Warren wanted to teach the martial arts, of course it was the style in which I taught him, Tae kwon Do Moo Duck Klan. Warren since I known him from his lifting days always had a bad back, and being that Korean karate involved all types of kicks, and Warren was of short stature, he would always try to kick above his natural chamber on side kicks. As a result, his back would constantly go out and he suffered most of the time.

One weekend I went to visit another one of my black belt students Forest Blair, who currently is a Master and still teaching in New Jersey. During that weekend we went to McGuire Air Force base to practice early in the morning, there was still dew on the grass, well we both went in the air and came down together and he landed on top of me at the edge of the cement walkway, as a result I broke my left clavicle bone. This put me in a cast for along time and also put me out of the martial arts for months. Warren was never happy with the style of Tae kwon Do and decided to move from teaching at the church parish in Island park to Rose Dance studio on Long Beach Road In Oceanside. There Warren asked if he could change the style from Tae Kwon Do to his own style and make some changes to fit his posture. I agreed, and he named the style “American Combat Karate”

The major changes were he made all his kicks from the hips and down and his punches from the hips up. He followed a logical street type of fighting, where getting in close and mixing it up was as real as it gets. Take downs were powerful, and since than Warren never had a problem with his back. One of Warren’s original students was Frank Finnegan, (hope I spelt it correctly) eventually Warren moved to Florida and Frank remained and connected with Richard Barathy. Going back to the story. Eventually there was some time in my Martial arts carrier when I met with Richard Barathy at Warren’s school. Barathy had a small school, I don’t remember the exact location or the town, it may be West Hempstead (not sure) but it was a small strip store where he taught. Eventually, he opened a karate school in Valley Stream and seem to do well there, I noticed a lot of his students still keeping touch and know them on what they write, they know who each other is and who there are. “Hi guys long time no see” .

I remember one evening several of us went with Barathy where he had interest in renting an old Super Market in Lynbrook. As we all looked, we seen it was a mess, but, with a little imagination and a lot of hard work, it had potential with possibilities. Well it happened. Richard Barathy took over the old super market and we all chipped in to help make it a martial arts school along with a gym in the front, it was called: RAB’S for Richard A. Barathy. The school took off nicely, eventually on Thursday nights I would have my night and taught the traditional martial arts for those who had type of interest, and all the other times, American Combat was taught. Brings back some wonderful memories, a great bunch of guys. Because I was a little older than everyone else, and been in the arts for many years, I was and was not part of the guys, our interest were the same as far as the martial arts goes, but outside of that we had different ideas and thoughts, yet we always respected each other for what we really were, true martial artists, no bull or phony crap.

Eventually, as time passed, my martial arts carrier turned to a different direction and I no longer worked out or trained at RAB’s. A few times I went with the guys to Howard Tague’s school, but not as often as the other guys, so, I remember very little about that.

I am now 67 and over my many, many years, a lot of black belts have passed away, and it is a shame that I only find out afterwards by chance. I would have found it an honor to be present at his funeral. I know over Richard Barathy’s last years I did not have any contact with him, but, when ever I would see one of the guys, I would always ask how he was doing and give my regards.

How did I see and view Richard Barathy: I do have to laugh inside, he brought back some eventful memories, he was a great guy, he would give you the shirt off his back if you needed one, he would go out of his way for you, and he what you would call a true friend. Either he liked you or he didn’t. He took his martial arts very seriously, which I held the highest respect for, not many people that I can still say that for today. Yes, for those who knew him, he was bigger than life, and was always the center of attention. I enjoyed my time with him, and on occasions, I do recall old times. Richard Barathy did leave us all with a very special gift, his memories and the times he shared with us while on this earth.

I hope I did not intrude his web site in his memory, and as for myself, I am not a sleeping master, I am still very active in the martial arts and teach one night a week and train 5 nights a week. I have been writing a book about the martial arts for over 4 years with 2 of my master students, and the 3 inch book should be published sometime within the next 100 years. If interested in anything that may bring back old history and memories, I can be reached at [email protected] Please state who you are, I do receive aalot of spam.
ENJOY BYE.

Burnerbob

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Thanks to this fourm as was able to reach out to Master Percerval, and relive the days when "Martial Arts" was in its infancy.
Although I no longer practice, due to health reasons I like keeping up.
Thank you everyone.

Robert A. Moller/
/ AKA Burnerbob

Karjitsu

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I wanted to collect my thoughts before commenting on your statement concerning my friend and former Instructor. First of all you never met this man and have no concept of his capabilities or the countless lives that he touched with his personality and never say die attitude. Kyoshi Richie Barathy was not someone who let any of his physical conditions (losing his eye, spleen, Lupus and a heart attack) prevent him from excelling in his art. He did not choose the name American Combat Karate but he surely made the name famous. When I say his art, which is what American Combat evolved into after his taking over the system. As far as the Red, White and Blue Gi with Stars. This uniform was worn by Joe Lewis and countless demo teams across this nation and since American Combat Karate was truly an American fighting style it was appropriate. I only wish he was around so you could question his way of doing things in person.

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Karjitsu and Kyoshi,

It is admirable that you think of Barathy so highly. I do admire loyalty. However, you both see Barathy as the epitome of the benefits of brutal training and ability to hang with and defeat the best. I see him as a bad-*** wannabe who seem to have issues. You don't deny my allegations that he bastardized traditional martial arts to conform to some ignorant American mentality regarding what they should be: no philosophy, no forms, only concerned with beating people down. In the process he merely confirmed the notion that many people in the Orient have of us: the Ugly American who bastardizes martial arts just so he can be a better ***-kicker.
And as for my rank, you don't know me or my training history. To assume that my training or technique is lacking simply because I don't share your philosophies is ignorance at it's worst. And to say that I'd only be a yellow belt is so and so's organization is laughable. Who is this guy and what's he ever done?
I apologize for any issues people might have with my language. I just thought it needed to be said.

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If I wanted to learn Philosophy, I'd go back to college. If I wanted to learn to baby sit and count in Korean, I'd join TKD.

Man!! I am going to ask my sahbonim for my money back!! I haven't learned a lick of babysitting at my TKD school. :shrug:

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ATTENTION ALL USERS:

Please keep the discussion at a mature, respectful level.

Please review our sniping policy http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/sho...d.php?p=427486.

Feel free to use the Ignore feature to ignore members whose posts you do not wish to read (it is at the bottom of each member's profile).

Thank you.

-Ronald Shin
-MT Supermoderator

ravenwing

White Belt
Reaction score
I guess everyone's entitled to their opinion. Central to all styles is the respect we have for the art and for others. ACK students learn that respect the easy way or the hard way. But they are all a respectful bunch that would go out of their way to help another. I was not fortunate to have 20 consecutive years training but I can tell you this, all of the black belts in the system are inherently good people and I'd want them on my side in any situation. Respect of the art, of power, of all that stuff, is still respect - Kyoshi Barathy had unbelievable hurdles to get to where he got but he got there; for that alone, nobody has the right to use the terms like side-show. From Lynbrook to East Rockaway and Levittown today, his spirit is in his students; that alone says enough.

pjd5150

White Belt
Reaction score
To anyone who believes Kyoshi Barathy "removed the philosophy" from Martial Arts, obviously never had the privilege of talking to him.
That said, PJ DeAngelo here, son of Renshi Paul DeAngelo.
I just came across this forum, scanned through the posts. I'm sure I know most people here, but do not know the names behind the screen names.
Please contact me or post with your names.
I'm going to go back and read everything!

Bushi40

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi everyone, it's Gene Perceval again.

This was taken from page 8 from a person who stated the following in reference to Martial Arts Talk on Richard Barathy.
I only knew about Richard Barathy from the magazine articles he was in. Unfortunately, the American flag uniform he wore did not impress me. My personal opinion is that he took traditional martial arts, removed the philosophy, and turned it into a circus side show. For that, I have little respect for him. But again, that's just my personal opinion.

Gene's statement:
Being that I worked out with, and was friends with and knew him well enough to state the following:
Never talk bad about someone who cannot defend himself, so, I will take that as an insult in Richard Barathy’s behalf.

In my attic, I still have the old heavy canvas Stars and Stripes uniform that I wore at Barathy’s school, both in Valley Stream and in Lynbrook where it was once an old A&P supermarket before it became RAB’S. I am in the Martial arts 52 + years and studied with the original founders in the Martial arts when I was living in the Orient. To a certain degree, I do agree with a small portion of the statement that the person wrote in the above statement, that is: In my opinion, Richard Barathy took traditional martial arts, removed the philosophy. Richard was not from what I remembered a traditionalist in the martial arts, but his classes were as real to a life threatening situation as possible. Lets jump ahead to the year 2007 in the martial arts. If Richard Barathy were still with us, there is no question that he would be one of the teachers and or part of, the IFL International Fighting League or similar. What you see today on television or cable is exactly what Richard Barathy was teaching when he was teaching American Combat Karate, so, what is now popular, is just a spin off from what was taught to his black belts years ago.

Anyone who wished traditional martial arts, it was available at RAB’s school on Thursday evenings when I taught at his school. I wore my traditional uniform when I taught, and wore the Stars and Strips uniform as respect when ever Richard Barathy had the training floor.

Please try to understand Richard Barathy, he was what he was, just as you are what you are, each of us is what makes the world different. Richard Barathy did not live in a world of black, gray or white, but was a great believer in the American system, therefore the colorful Stars and Stripes, the fire on the breaking objects etc. Each of us are capable of being an entainer, Richard Barathy was not a "last week we covered that so this week we will cover this type of instructor. His classes and instructions were never boaring and always stimulated the mind as well as the constant physical challenge, what more can a true instructor offer his students.

Grand Master
Gene Perceval
Pioneer, founder

I can be reached at [email protected]

Burnerbob

Orange Belt
Reaction score
What Sensi Barathay did was to take Karate a step further. We did not chastise Helio Gracie for changing the Japanese Jiu Jitsu that was taught to him, then why Sensi Barathy especially when you only read about him. The type of "Gi" one wears has no bearing on his ability. The "Stars and Stripes" Gi was to symbolize "American Combat Karate".
As far as "Grand Master" Perceval, I have been in touch with him and remembered when he was one of the distinguished Black-Belts that was present at Sensi DeMarco's GoJuRyu dojo when I tested for Green Belt over 30 years ago. He along with Sensi Barathy were and still are true legends of true "Bushido Spirit"

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Nonetheless, I stand fully behind what I wrote. So far, everything that I've seen reinforces what I've mentioned. All I've seen so far are American students who simply take technique, strip it of philosophy or balance, add a healthy dose of xenophobia, and call it "American Combat Karate". Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't karate designed for combat and self defense?
I'm all for adaptation and evolution. The Korean Tae Kwon Do of today is very unlike the "Korean karate" of yesteryear. Not better or worse, but different.
Taking Japanese karate or martial arts, stripping it down to simply a fighting style or way to hurt people, and packaging it as "American Combat Karate" is not evolution. It does nothing to advance martial arts, and simply shows contempt for the roots of karate.
And as for the uniform, if wearing the Stars and Stripes gi signifies nothing, then why do it? Obviously it signifies something or else it would not be used. Personally, I think it signifies this "America first" mentality I mentioned previously. It seems to be the ACK method of thumbing their nose at tradition; again, showing the xenophobia I mentioned previously.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions