Richard Barathy/American Combat Karate

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLIP954RR

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey folks!? I am VERY happy that I found this site.
I trained briefly with Renshi Impellizieri at Elmont-long enough to earn my stripe on my white belt. Unfortunately, I couldnt continue with training due to work and family commitments.
Renshi Impellizieri is a GREAT person to know and train with. He was also my old boss at work-so we trained and worked together. He was a great friend to me and I am lucky to know him tru the years. Unfortunately we lost touch due to me having my daughter and him having new business ventures.
I would love to go back to training seriously and just getting back into ACK.
Please email me of time and places/cost to [email protected]. Im out in Suffolk,LI so let me know!!

Cheers,
Pat

Inflorida

White Belt
Reaction score
I can't believe I found this site. Yes Richie was one bad MO-FO !! Last time I saw him was in the 70s in a bar ( Chanel 80 ) He knew me from ACK with Sen Sei Warren Montegnino ( Oceanside ) which he had recently switched over to. He had purchased a A&P supermarket I think in Lynbrook and turned it into a HUGE Dojo! I remember his Red White and Blue Gi and lightning speed. Wow 30yrs and like it was yesterday.The only man faster was SenSei Tague but he was on another planet! This is this first I've heard that Richie had passed away. Anyone here from the old ACK days in Oceanside? Mike Higgins, Terry Crew,Crazy Roger Offner. man I can go on forever! Good memories!

Inflorida

White Belt
Reaction score
I was actually a white belt when American Combat was started by Sen Sei Warren Montegnino. Tiring of dealing with Korea he switched from Moo Duk Quan. We worked out in Island Park in a 100 yr old Parish with very hard wooden floors. Full contact no pads. We then moved to renting space in a Dance studio in Oceanside. Word got out and people like Ritchie B came to check out this new "Street " style. This was around 1972. The rest is history!

Inflorida

White Belt
Reaction score
WOW! Great story! Brings back a lot of memories! Also 52 YO now living in FL since 1979 and not much for flying around a Dojo anymore, but try keeping in shape. Rich was a wild man with enourmous talent! I went with him when he was checking out the A&P in Lynbrook to turn into a DOJO,,,weight room and all. Last time we hung out we got into a bar room brawl and I had the pleasure of watching him clean the place with 5-6 as--hol-s that were stupid enough to start with him! LOL!!! I really didn't have to help! I'm sorry to hear he passed away. His heart was good! ( But didn't take Crap) :)
Anyone know Chris Constantine??? 90lbs of amazingness!

Kyoshi71

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
WOW! Great story! Brings back a lot of memories! Also 52 YO now living in FL since 1979 and not much for flying around a Dojo anymore, but try keeping in shape. Rich was a wild man with enourmous talent! I went with him when he was checking out the A&P in Lynbrook to turn into a DOJO,,,weight room and all. Last time we hung out we got into a bar room brawl and I had the pleasure of watching him clean the place with 5-6 as--hol-s that were stupid enough to start with him! LOL!!! I really didn't have to help! I'm sorry to hear he passed away. His heart was good! ( But didn't take Crap) :)
Anyone know Chris Constantine??? 90lbs of amazingness!

I have met Chris Constantine. Black Belt in Isshin Ryu who I met through Perry Ferlise.

Kyoshi71

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
When you speak with George tell him I said hello
Thanks, Paul

I'll tell George you said hello next time I break his balls about the gym, that he sold me a membership to, not being opened yet. He's a character.

Inflorida

White Belt
Reaction score
Perry was a great guy! His brother Mike was my age, also a black belt, very cool. They both came over to ACK from Tracy's in RVC. ( Kenpo) Made there rank by Warren Montegnino in ACK around 1975 -76. Then they opened a Dojo in Oceanside. I could never get away from Perry's reverse punch!
I can't believe it's over 30 yrs since I've seen these guys!

Kyoshi71

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Perry was a great guy! His brother Mike was my age, also a black belt, very cool. They both came over to ACK from Tracy's in RVC. ( Kenpo) Made there rank by Warren Montegnino in ACK around 1975 -76. Then they opened a Dojo in Oceanside. I could never get away from Perry's reverse punch!
I can't believe it's over 30 yrs since I've seen these guys!

He too lives in Florida

Inflorida

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm so glad to finally see Warrens' name here! After all he started the whole ACK thing! Being in the very first class I am proud that people are still talking about something that was started in 1972 in a broken down Parish in Island Park!

Karjitsu

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
During the late seventies and early eighties ACK had seminars at a farm in Milford Pennsylvania. After training outdoors all day we would all eat together and get to know all the black belts better because we were outside of the Dojo. Kyoshi Barathy would talk for hours about any thing that we asked him about. He once told us a story about a guy that had started trouble at a club he was working at. When they got him to leave he came back with a knife. A woman screamed watch out he has a knife. Kyoshi responded (“I see it lady, I got an EYE”). Well not everyone at the seminar realized he had one eye.
Those that did saw the humor that he had.

Kyoshi71

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
During the late seventies and early eighties ACK had seminars at a farm in Milford Pennsylvania. After training outdoors all day we would all eat together and get to know all the black belts better because we were outside of the Dojo. Kyoshi Barathy would talk for hours about any thing that we asked him about. He once told us a story about a guy that had started trouble at a club he was working at. When they got him to leave he came back with a knife. A woman screamed watch out he has a knife. Kyoshi responded (“I see it lady, I got an EYE”). Well not everyone at the seminar realized he had one eye.
Those that did saw the humor that he had.

Hysterical! What a sense of humor on that man.

Goju-Man

White Belt
Reaction score
Kyoshi Pastore, congratulations. I heard Shidoshi promoted you and saw your name on his his directory.
Chien,
Sensei James (Palladium)

Kyoshi71

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I found a web site for ACK dojo in Levittown, when I asked my son if it was still there he said it had closed. What happened?

I always hear different stories regarding that school. I think that Joe Impellizierri moved the school's location. His newest website is:
www.acklevittown.com

Karjitsu

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Kyoshi71Thanks, I think that is the same location that Tai-Zen was located before they moved across the turnpike and into the East Meadow border. But I think that it has closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions