Richard Barathy/American Combat Karate

Status
Not open for further replies.

ravenwing

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi guys. I'm trying to figure out who all of you are. I started at Rab's and went through about 10 locations and then moved to Staten Island. I'd love to train with ANYONE who is still training. And if anyone from another style would like to try something new, like Kyoshi McCaffery used to say, let's just get on the floor... :)

ottman

White Belt
Reaction score
We do not do anything organized,but if Levittown is still going the location is just east of the wantagh parkway on hempsted tpke. make a left at the Quiznos it's right on the left in the old Tai-Zen school. Wolcott rd.

USHH

ottman

White Belt
Reaction score
Kyoshi71,

Go to the Tai-zen home page under articles. The 1976 one of Tague has Barathy in it. Just some reading you might find interesting. I know you said in one of your post they did not train together, but I believe they did for a while.

USHH

Kyoshi71

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Kyoshi71,

Go to the Tai-zen home page under articles. The 1976 one of Tague has Barathy in it. Just some reading you might find interesting. I know you said in one of your post they did not train together, but I believe they did for a while.

USHH

Read it again. I never said that they didn't train together because they certainly did. I said that during my tenure with Kyoshi Barathy, he seemed to have credited Nisei Goju under Frank Ruiz with the biggest impact on his ability. I think Kyoshi's compliments, or lack thereof, were more a situation of sour grapes toward Tai-Zen then who made the biggest impact.

ravenwing

White Belt
Reaction score
Read it again. I never said that they didn't train together because they certainly did. I said that during my tenure with Kyoshi Barathy, he seemed to have credited Nisei Goju under Frank Ruiz with the biggest impact on his ability. I think Kyoshi's compliments, or lack thereof, were more a situation of sour grapes toward Tai-Zen then who made the biggest impact.
I think, also, when Sensei Romeo left Lynbrook, there was quite a bit of "friction" and nobody wanted to take sides -- just a thought...

JJB_ACK

White Belt
Reaction score
I feel the same way you do, I wish there was an ACK school here in Tampa too. I Trained Kyoshi Bacci and the Renshei D'Angelgo twins in Massapequa, Renshei Kofage, Renshei Impallazeri , Kyoshi Barathy in the basement of his house, with Sensei Glenn teaching. Where in tampa are you located?

John B

ravenwing

White Belt
Reaction score
I had the privilege to FIND ACK again thanks to this link. I gotta tell you, in the last two years I have visited many martial arts schools - ALL comendable. HOWEVER, ACK produces the absolute toughest fighters in the world. I can only hope someday I can be close to the skill level I saw only last night.

Kyoshi71

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I had the privilege to FIND ACK again thanks to this link. I gotta tell you, in the last two years I have visited many martial arts schools - ALL comendable. HOWEVER, ACK produces the absolute toughest fighters in the world. I can only hope someday I can be close to the skill level I saw only last night.

Thanks for the kind words. We truly appreciated you coming down last night and look forward to seeing you again. We're always happy to fill the floor with good, loyal guys like you.

JJB_ACK

White Belt
Reaction score
Let me tell you, all the teachers I had in ACK were awesome! Not just as teachers either. They didn't sugar coat things, they told you just how it is. They were honest and straight forward. I have a memory from around 94 or 95 when I was training in Kyoshi Barathy's basement and he wanted the ACK logo painted on the floor. I volunteered. I worked on it over the weekend and had it ready for class the next week. It was such an honor to do that for him. The only regret i have is that I never took a picture of it.
USH!:asian:

Kyoshi71

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Let me tell you, all the teachers I had in ACK were awesome! Not just as teachers either. They didn't sugar coat things, they told you just how it is. They were honest and straight forward. I have a memory from around 94 or 95 when I was training in Kyoshi Barathy's basement and he wanted the ACK logo painted on the floor. I volunteered. I worked on it over the weekend and had it ready for class the next week. It was such an honor to do that for him. The only regret i have is that I never took a picture of it.
USH!:asian:

You did an awesome job on it too. Between that, the sparring buzzer and the Hootie & the Blowfish CD...just things you'll never forget.

JJB_ACK

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks Kyoshi71 ! You are right about the memories. When I was going we use to hear a lot of Hendrix. You by chance wouldn't have any pictures of you guys in Kyoshi's basement that may have the logo in it? I tried looking up Kyoshi Piccone but couldn't find him in the superpages.com

Kyoshi71

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanks Kyoshi71 ! You are right about the memories. When I was going we use to hear a lot of Hendrix. You by chance wouldn't have any pictures of you guys in Kyoshi's basement that may have the logo in it? I tried looking up Kyoshi Piccone but couldn't find him in the superpages.com

No problem. I checked and do not have any photos of the basement. I wish I did actually because it was such an insane setup! People really have no idea that his basement was better than most dojos. As for the Florida gig, I'll check if anyone has any up-to-date contact info. If so, I'll PM you.

JJB_ACK

White Belt
Reaction score
I was looking around for a new uniform and during my search I decide to see if anyone still makes the Stars & Stripes uniform, the one that Kyoshi Barathy used to wear. Century used to make them but stopped and now they have some lame looking american flag competition uniforms. I found a guy on ebay who is seeling them new and in various sizes. I figured I'd just share because it is one of Kyoshi Barthy's trademarks. I once read an article online about this martial artist who was know as the "Human Weapon" and said in his article that he was inspired by a martial artist he saw on the Johnny Carson show that had long black hair in a pony tail and wore a Stars & Stripes uniform but he diddn't remember his name (Kyoshi Barathy 1979). From seeing that show inspired him to train in the martial arts and study breaking techniques and he starting wearing the starts & stripes Gi in his demos.

Burnerbob

Orange Belt
Reaction score
What you may not know is that the original founder of American Combat Karate, Warren Montagnino, resides in Florida. Kyoshi Barathy kind of took over the system from Sensei Montagnino; who was also a great, hard-nosed fighter.
And a highly respectful individual. I met Warren while studying GoJu and was to start training with him, but was involved in a freak accident that left me semi-crippled, both legs shattered. I wish I could have trained with ACK. Burnerbob.

Kyoshi71

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I was looking around for a new uniform and during my search I decide to see if anyone still makes the Stars & Stripes uniform, the one that Kyoshi Barathy used to wear. Century used to make them but stopped and now they have some lame looking american flag competition uniforms. I found a guy on ebay who is seeling them new and in various sizes. I figured I'd just share because it is one of Kyoshi Barthy's trademarks. I once read an article online about this martial artist who was know as the "Human Weapon" and said in his article that he was inspired by a martial artist he saw on the Johnny Carson show that had long black hair in a pony tail and wore a Stars & Stripes uniform but he diddn't remember his name (Kyoshi Barathy 1979). From seeing that show inspired him to train in the martial arts and study breaking techniques and he starting wearing the starts & stripes Gi in his demos.

The stars & Stripes Gi that American Combat wore were NOT made by Century. It was made by KI International. Kyoshi Barathy pretty much exclusively wore KI International. Century created a knock-off.

Kyoshi71

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
And a highly respectful individual. I met Warren while studying GoJu and was to start training with him, but was involved in a freak accident that left me semi-crippled, both legs shattered. I wish I could have trained with ACK. Burnerbob.

Whats more is that Warren Montagnino was originally trained in Mu Duk Kwon (when it was a real fighting art) from Eugene Perceval. Sensei Montagnino had a hip problem and couldnt throw high kicks so when he opened up his own school, he called it "American Combat Karate.

Burnerbob

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Whats more is that Warren Montagnino was originally trained in Mu Duk Kwon (when it was a real fighting art) from Eugene Perceval. Sensei Montagnino had a hip problem and couldnt throw high kicks so when he opened up his own school, he called it "American Combat Karate.
Eugene Perceval, that brings back memories he was good friends with my Sensi Vincent DeMarco who took over Frank Ruiz Dojo in Garden City Park.

USHH 37

White Belt
Reaction score
I trained ACK from 1989-1995 .Trained with kyoshi Barathy the last 3 years of his life in his basement.He even gave me and another one of the brown belts free private lessons for the last year before he got sick.We had lots of great times in that basement.Everything he taught me is forever with me.What was an amazing individual and greatly missed.

Hey JJB is that u Dom?...I remember when u painted the floor....The fist and lighting bolt in the center...You did an awsesome job......

I dont have any pictures either but we did shoot some video of us fighting down there.. i think a guy named joe (he has red hair) has the tape..

USHH!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions