Richard Barathy/American Combat Karate

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACKGuy

White Belt
Reaction score
" eventually in time we changed from a ACK school , to a Tai-Zen school , which was great because of the mix of the two it was a double edged sword."

What is Tai-Zen? Are there still Barathy blackbelts who teach his ACK system? If so, where?

By GOD's Grace,

Yes, as stated above, Renshei Impallazeri has just opened up an ACK school in Levitown, NY. If anyone wants info on the school PM me. As of right now we train Tuesday and Thursday nights and Sunday mornings.

Tai-Zen, as i know it was formed by Grand Master Tague as a more defensive style of martial arts. Do a google search and you'll find much more.

bdj

White Belt
Reaction score
Well Tia-Zen is a system the Kioshi Barathy studdied with Grand Master Howard Tauge ( who should be highly respected ) and from what I beleave is one of the parts of ACK along with other styles , Yes you are right ACKGuy its way more defensive which was good for us after being taught to be so aggressive , dont think cause its a defensive style it should be underestimated .I know of at least three of the original blackbelts , Kioshi"s Finnigan and Romeo and sensai Willing have respected schools , there is a site Tia-Zen.com you can find out alot more If you stay within yourself and do as taught there is nothing you cant defend with Zen. t one point A Current Affair even wanted to do a story bacause Grand Master Tauge was so respected and everyone respected him so much ( I always will) they thought it was a cult of some sort ,im pretty sure but cant be positive but i truly beleave Kioshi Barathy respected all four men I mentioned highly , please post the location of that Levittown ACK school please .Peace out , be good fellow brothers.

Kyoshi71

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I truly have never seen a message board with so much misinformation. I studied with Kyoshi Barathy until he passed (at his home in Dix Hills) and have trained with "Hanshi" Don McCaffrey for 15 years. Currently I am a Yondan Renshi in the system and can tell you anything you would like to know.
1st: There are NO similarities between Tai-Zen Jiu jitsu, under Master Tague, and ACK.
2nd: Kyoshi Lenny Romeo is a great teacher, and Renshi Matt Willing is a great fighter, whos loyalties and techniques are ALL Tai-Zen now (and that's not a bad thing)
3rd: Kyoshi Barathy used the Tai-Zen weight routine to greatly advance his skills but actually gave most of the credit for his technique to Nisei Goju (under Frank Ruiz) currently run by Hanshi Wilfredo Roldan.
4th: Renshi Joe Impellizeri still teaches original ACK and does a great job at it (also a great guy). I have personally never trained with Rich Korfhage, but know that his skill and integrity are in-line with old school ACK.
5th: "Kyoshi" John Russell is an awesome instructor. Kyoshi Russell never spent any time with Master Howard Tague and stayed true to the old line ACK methods. Absolutely a Master technician and a very cerebral fighter who ran a class at Renshi Impellizeri's school in Elmont.
6th: Renshi John Glenn, from what I understand, has a group that gets together in Wantagh somewhere. He used to teach at Kyoshi Barathy's house. Good teacher and fighter and stayed with Kyoshi Barathy until the end.
6th: Hanshi McCaffrey is the real deal. Power, speed and technique like never seen before. A truly great guy who is willing to teach anyone who comes through the door with a desire to learn and a disdain for politics. Hanshi McCaffrey trained extensively with Kyoshi Barathy from the beginning and also trained with Master Tague, who he credits as "incredible."
We have a group that gets together EVERY Tuesday night with Hanshi McCaffrey. Along with him, there are also 4 other high ranking ACK black Belts that join him to teach class. Interested??

OP
D

donald

Black Belt
Reaction score
Do you teach kata? If so are they established old school(ie:goju etc.) forms? Or do you teach kata particular to the ACK system? Say along the lines of the EPAK Long/Short forms? Thank you for your consideration.

1stJohn1:9

Kyoshi71

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Actually, there is no kata in ACK. I'm certain that Kyoshi Barathy performed them while training with Nisei Goju, because they were big kata
practitioners, but they were never included in ACK.

onequiks2k

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I used to practice in the Elmont school, & the Lindenhurst school back in the day...I trained under Impallazari & Colflag (both awesome guys). Since then I relocated to Tampa FL, & recently enrolled into a large Tae Kwan Do academy. If I was still living up on the Island I would seriously get back into training w/ any of you guys! Btw, when I first started like 14 yrs. ago at the Elmont location I used to train w/ my cousin Tommy. I don't think he trains anymore, but if anyone knows of any of the locations I will pass it on to hime if he is interested.

catstance

White Belt
Reaction score
Ush!
Hello all,
I was recently sent an E-mail about this site...I trained with Renche Impalizzari when he started classes at his house in westbury, followed him out to the Valley stream schools and trained there with he and Renche Kofage for a few years. I was not aware he opened a school in Levittown. I would greatly appreciate and info on the school or info on how I might contact him. He was my instructor for just about 6 years, I unfortunately stopped, at my Purple belt aound the time the school was closing. He was a great friend as well and I would really like to get in contact. If anyone could help with the info again It is much appreciated.

Thanks
Tom

Kyoshi71

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Unfortunately, and dont quote me on this, I have been hearing that the Levittown school will be closing. If you have any interest in training ACK, PM me.

P.S. Its "Renshi" not "Renche"

Kyoshi71

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I used to practice in the Elmont school, & the Lindenhurst school back in the day...I trained under Impallazari & Colflag (both awesome guys). Since then I relocated to Tampa FL, & recently enrolled into a large Tae Kwan Do academy. If I was still living up on the Island I would seriously get back into training w/ any of you guys! Btw, when I first started like 14 yrs. ago at the Elmont location I used to train w/ my cousin Tommy. I don't think he trains anymore, but if anyone knows of any of the locations I will pass it on to hime if he is interested.

What you may not know is that the original founder of American Combat Karate, Warren Montagnino, resides in Florida. Kyoshi Barathy kind of took over the system from Sensei Montagnino; who was also a great, hard-nosed fighter.

catstance

White Belt
Reaction score
Can you PM me with the address and/or location of the Levittown school?
It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Tom

Kyoshi71

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Can you PM me with the address and/or location of the Levittown school?
It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Tom

Dont know the address, sorry; not to mention, I believe the school is done.

ottman

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello

I studied ACK and Tai-Zen under renchi Finnagin. Both styles are unique. I studied back in the late 80s early 90s steady and now tinker around with some of the upper ranks in ACK. Nothin steady. I feel Tai-Zen was great but went down the wrong path. Nothing against it, but things were much better in the Bethpage basement. I think the time of ACK is unfortunately gone, the true animals of the past have just gotten old and society changed. People couldn't handle the old style we used to do. I know one thing, the guys that play in the octagan, It would have never gotten to the ground with our old Instructors!

USHH

Kyoshi71

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hello

I studied ACK and Tai-Zen under renchi Finnagin. Both styles are unique. I studied back in the late 80s early 90s steady and now tinker around with some of the upper ranks in ACK. Nothin steady. I feel Tai-Zen was great but went down the wrong path. Nothing against it, but things were much better in the Bethpage basement. I think the time of ACK is unfortunately gone, the true animals of the past have just gotten old and society changed. People couldn't handle the old style we used to do. I know one thing, the guys that play in the octagan, It would have never gotten to the ground with our old Instructors!

USHH

The time of ACK is certainly not gone. Maybe it's just where or whom you're training with. As for the comparison of "old ACK instructors" to the octagon fighters, I'd have to disagree with you. The BJJ or even good Judo guys would definitely take them to the ground in an organized match, as they would most other defensive forms of Karate and such in that arena. It's in the bar (Redheads), or the back alley (Palladium), or in line at the movies that these monsters would strike without any notice, at the drop of a hat, at the first sign of Bull ****. Real fighting, when it really matters. They were (and are) the best.

I'm not a Tai-Zen guy at all but, what do you mean by, "went down the wrong path?"

ottman

White Belt
Reaction score
Maybe I did not make myself clear. I know the octagon is a sport with rules that we did not train for, I meant if they were to mix it up on the street with an mma fighter, I seriously dought it would last long enough to get to the ground. I agree they were (are) the best and I have the greatest RESPECT for all of them. As far as the "old" comment. This was meant with no disrespect! Most of us are just getting older with families and jobs and can't afford to bang it up at that level the way we used to. You didn't care that your forearms were black with briuses or a nuckle or toe was broke after class, it meant you had a good class. If the time of ACK was still here then would'nt we still have some schools? This is said with no disrespect intended. I still train a little, but get hurt alot easier and take longer to heal! As far as Tai-Zen, again, I respect all the instructors and the system. The wrong path means it did adapt to society and became more commercial then the way it was. Who Knows maybe thats the reason it is still around. Although oppisite in many ways I feel they are the two best systems created to survive a REAL situation. And again I respect any body who has trained either of these systems for any legth of time.

USHH

Kyoshi71

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Maybe I did not make myself clear. I know the octagon is a sport with rules that we did not train for, I meant if they were to mix it up on the street with an mma fighter, I seriously dought it would last long enough to get to the ground. I agree they were (are) the best and I have the greatest RESPECT for all of them. As far as the "old" comment. This was meant with no disrespect! Most of us are just getting older with families and jobs and can't afford to bang it up at that level the way we used to. You didn't care that your forearms were black with briuses or a nuckle or toe was broke after class, it meant you had a good class. If the time of ACK was still here then would'nt we still have some schools? This is said with no disrespect intended. I still train a little, but get hurt alot easier and take longer to heal! As far as Tai-Zen, again, I respect all the instructors and the system. The wrong path means it did adapt to society and became more commercial then the way it was. Who Knows maybe thats the reason it is still around. Although oppisite in many ways I feel they are the two best systems created to survive a REAL situation. And again I respect any body who has trained either of these systems for any legth of time.

USHH

You definitely made the right choice to stay with ACK and now I see what you meant about the differences between the old days and today. An interesting point that I'd like to make is this: Do you have any idea how many students sustained injuries that prohibited them from continuing? TONS!!!! Imagine this....losing in a street fight because of an injury you sustained while training to protect youself in the street?? Maybe the old way was'nt really the best way. What are your thoughts???

As for Tai-Zen...let me just say that some of the people I have met drink too much of the Kool-aid. I asked a green belt once how he feels with the fact that Tai-Zen does no sparring. His answer was, "If we sparred, It wouldn't get anywhere because everytime you punched, I wouldn't be there." Now you obviously understand the foolishness with that statement!!! I laugh my *** off every time I think of this retard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions