Richard Barathy/American Combat Karate

Status
Not open for further replies.

N9559T

White Belt
Reaction score
After watching the Johnny Carson episode with Master Barathy, in the 70s while I was living in Vegas. The next day I called sensei Finnegan to find out why Richy got caught on fire and if he was ok.
He explained too much lighter fluid splashed.
As I watch the videos and see faces it is starting to come back to me who all the senseis were that were involved in my training with ACK.
Also, I remember going to train at various halls to train because of better rent expenses.
I trained in ACK at 15 in the 70s and spent the next 25 years studying Bruce lees's Wing Chung Gung Fu which transitioned to Jeet Kune Do.
I have to tell you that as a police officer out in Las Vegas NV the combined Martial arts has saved my life.
Due to injuries I cannot practice ,but I'm close to retirement and then repair and then practice.
I want to thank Richy God Bless and all of the sensei's that have devoted their valuable time to the arts.
Nick Toscano

N9559T

White Belt
Reaction score
Who is Sensei Franny Murray?
The Original ACK Black Belts from Lynbrook are:
Barathy
Bacci
McCaffrey
Green
Finigan
Russel
P.DeAngelo
F.DeAngelo
Willing
Romeo
This is no disrespect to Sensei Murray but, there are so many people on this forum claiming to be ACK Black Belts.
For those who post here, can you put your name, not just your login, it's cool when I see someone I remember from the past. thanks.
Paul DeAngelo Jr.
You are right I have lived it . The name Murray is familiar, but I'm not sure. I can tell you this I still have the triangle red and black ACK dated 1972 which I will display at a latter time.

EagleStrike

White Belt
Reaction score
Back in the 80's I had heard that the Barathy/Tague weight training was put in a book by a George Munch(who worked with Gerry Cooney)..If true, does anyone know what the name of it was? or a link to it? Actually I believe it was Master Tague of Tai-zen who devised it originally. Thanks all

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't know of the book, EagleStrike, but just wanted to welcome you to MartialTalk. :)

CGMWilling

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
After watching the Johnny Carson episode with Master Barathy, in the 70s while I was living in Vegas. The next day I called sensei Finnegan to find out why Richy got caught on fire and if he was ok.
As I watch the videos and see faces it is starting to come back to me who all the senseis were that were involved in my training with ACK.
Also, I remember going to train at various halls to train because of better rent expenses.
I trained in ACK at 15 in the 70s and spent the next 25 years studying Bruce lees's Wing Chung Gung Fu which transitioned to Jeet Kune Do.
I have to tell you that as a police officer out in Las Vegas NV the combined Martial arts has saved my life.
Due to injuries I cannot practice ,but I'm close to retirement and then repair and then practice.
I want to thank Richy God Bless and all of the sensei's that have devoted their valuable time to the arts.
Nick Toscano
Nick Toscano
OK out of respect lets all jump over to the "American Combat Karate Alumni" thread.

CGMWilling

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Over the years I have seen so much cheapening of the art. People claim to take for contact.
When I used to perform in Madison Square Garden with Richie Barathy who is my instructor at the time, I would see one of the “Masters“ Preparing to go on stage. I performed there from 1977 to around 1982. It was Aaron Banks “Oriental world of self-defense“. At one point I observed one of the men (I won’t mention any names) preparing to go on. He had his gi bottoms off and was taping his package up and to the right, so that he could put them out of position from between his legs and then tape around his waist in order to keep his taped scrotum out from in between his legs. The GI pants would then be put on and he would go out and perform taking off all contact (allegedly) to the scrotum , Which of course was no place near the area he was being kicked. After that he would then have someone throw “allegedly” for Howard Ridge hand strikes to the throat. I have seen all of the tricks from baked boards to people laying on beds of nails while being struck with a sledgehammer with 3 to 5 patio blocks on their stomach. It looks impressive , But it is nearly another trick. When you take a board and put 1000 nails in it, and then place half of your bodyweight, from the waist up on the bed of nails. You then have 100 pounds being supported by 1000 nails. That is 1/10 of a pound on each nail . If you slowly placed an Apple that is more than 1/10 of a pound and rested it on the board the Apple would not get pierced. Of course what they do before hand is drop the Apple from a distance, around shoulder height and the Apple is pierced by the nails. They of course don’t jump onto the bed of nails they slowly get lowered onto it very evenly so that the nails spread across the body so that the nails are dispersed evenly. Next the patio blocks are placed on The midsection for effect and then hit by a sledgehammer. It all looks impressive. The only thing is that it it is another trick. The patio blocks do nothing more then absorb the strike of the sledgehammer just like a bullet proof vest would absorb the strike of a bullet. One of these days I would love to see someone laid down on the bed of nails with only about 10 nails. Of course you’ll never see that because now these frauds who now make themselves out to be greater than human would be punctured by the 10 nails. Second of all I would love to see them when laying on a bed of nails make it easy on themselves and remove the bricks from their stomach and take that shot to the stomach with the sledgehammer with no protection at all. Ask yourself why the bricks? The bricks absorb the blow. If anyone denies it tell him to take that for powered strike while laying on the ground with no bricks. Then go to the person who slices of watermelon on someone’s stomach while blindfolded. Once again very impressive looking. Why do you suppose they use a watermelon or cucumber? It is because a watermelon will Actually split like it has been cut by the blade when actually the weight of the blade will crack the outer layer of the watermelon and come to a halt when it reaches the skin of the person in the stomach. Notice that the blade is being dropped straight down and bouncing off the skin. That’s because blades are designed to cut with either fast Motion or a cutting motion from back to front like a saw. I would like to see them do that feat With an orange that you would actually have to strike hard to cut. An Apple will split easily as will the cucumber. When I see a martial artist demonstrate how they can take impact, you can see they have clearly given up on developing the ability to not get hit and instead turn themselves into God like people who now claim you can’t hurt them if you hit them. I guess when they go for surgery they have to bring out the special tough guy blades in order to cut their skin. These frauds that bake their boards and Brekkes to make them so dried out that if you drop them from a couple inches off the ground they break by themselves. These demonstrations do nothing more than cheapen the art. Show me a demonstration and I will tell you how it is done. Like a magician who doesn’t tell their secrets. I have watched a legend world record holders for breaking supposed granite which in fact was nothing more than fireplace installation, and when the first couple would break, the weight of the stone itself would break the rest of the phony granite. Next time you see someone getting hit in the balls notice how they kick their hips forward or make sure they strike to an area where their balls aren’t. Second of all what kind of a kick does no damage When it is thrown full powered between the legs and does no damage to the other vital areas such as anything from the pubic mound and other vital points in that area. Even fighters in the MMA have to stop for five minutes after being hit in the groin with protection on. People get kicked in the thigh with the round house that is less powerful than a well throne front kick to the groin. I have dropped people with thigh kicks (Which is a huge muscle that has a bone that is rather large on the other side of the muscle) and you really think that that same kick going to the groin area can be with withstood? If you believe in these superhuman exhibitions, you might as well believe in magic. And if you believe in magic, talk to the amazing Randy. We did a show together before he started Debunking Magic tricks with Bill Bixby on cable called mind over matter back in the late 70s. He later exposed his track which was being able to see while blindfolded. The other act had phoney granite and the last man court bullets in his teeth. Which of course he didn’t actually catch them in his teeth, he had a trap like objects placed in his mouth. Unfortunately that day the person with the rifle was off just a little bit and caught the edge slightly and you saw the blood start to come out. Shortly after that he died from a bullet to the head from another miss, But from what I understand he had taken 14 shots to the head over his career. Don’t be taken in by these freak shows. Chief Grandmaster Matt Willing

CGMWilling

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Yes, as stated above, Renshei Impallazeri has just opened up an ACK school in Levitown, NY. If anyone wants info on the school PM me. As of right now we train Tuesday and Thursday nights and Sunday mornings.

Tai-Zen, as i know it was formed by Grand Master Tague as a more defensive style of martial arts. Do a google search and you'll find much more.

CGMWilling

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Nick Toscano
Nick Toscano

EagleStrike

White Belt
Reaction score
Are you saying Chief Grandmaster Willing that Master Barathy's stunts were all fake and that his skills were a sham? I was always amazed in my young age the speed and kicks Master Barathy had.I find that hard to believe. I remember you being one of the original Sensei's and it seems like your profile pic is an ode to ACK. Just looking for clarification with the utmost respect.

EagleStrike

White Belt
Reaction score
Ussss!!!
Are you saying Chief Grandmaster Willing that Master Barathy's stunts were all fake and that his skills were a sham? I was always amazed in my young age the speed and kicks Master Barathy had.I find that hard to believe. I remember you being one of the original Sensei's and it seems like your profile pic is an ode to ACK. Just looking for clarification with the utmost respect.Ussss!!

CGMWilling

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Are you saying Chief Grandmaster Willing that Master Barathy's stunts were all fake and that his skills were a sham? I was always amazed in my young age the speed and kicks Master Barathy had.I find that hard to believe. I remember you being one of the original Sensei's and it seems like your profile pic is an ode to ACK. Just looking for clarification with the utmost respect.

CGMWilling

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I am not saying that Richie Barathy was a fraud as far as his movement on the floor or his as a technician. . What I am saying is that many demonstrations or not what you think they are. We were the black belts that transported the material he broke, and if you ask any black belt from that era, it was not grsmite. That’s why after every break we had to smash the stuff into garbage pail house so no one could get their hands on it. It was originally meant to be fireplace insulation but was too inefficient to use. Sorry to put another myth to rest but it is been a secret for a very long time and that isn’t fair for people to believe in things that aren’t true. He was a great Technician and I am not calling him a fake or anything else but the “granite ” that never was.I actually never was.

CGMWilling

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I am not saying that Richie Barathy was a fraud as far as his movement on the floor or his as a technician. . What I am saying is that many demonstrations or not what you think they are. We were the black belts that transported the material he broke, and if you ask any black belt from that era, it was not grsmite. That’s why after every break we had to smash the stuff into garbage pail house so no one could get their hands on it. It was originally meant to be fireplace insulation but was too inefficient to use. Sorry to put another myth to rest but it is been a secret for a very long time and that isn’t fair for people to believe in things that aren’t true. He was a great Technician and I am not calling him a fake or anything else but the “granite ” that never was.I actually never was.

EagleStrike

White Belt
Reaction score
Thank you for clarifying about Master Barathy but I am confused. Why does this knowledge need to be public? Plus he had to break it with strong ability or he would be hurt...correct? I recall in the 80's Master Barathy breaking skulls at a club in Long Island. Are you saying they were fake too? What about the 2x4 iron man demonstration with I believe (Sensei or above?) Bacchi?

CGMWilling

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

Thank you for clarifying about Master Barathy but I am confused. Why does this knowledge need to be public? Plus he had to break it with strong ability or he would be hurt...correct? I recall in the 80's Master Barathy breaking skulls at a club in Long Island. Are you saying they were fake too? What about the 2x4 iron man demonstration with I believe (Sensei or above?) Bacchi?
The skulls were real, we brought them from China. I had one myself. They were meant for Dental students because they had teeth in them. They were dried out and easy to break. As for the breaking of 1x3s (not 2x4s) you will notice that when a person doing the striking hits the person it will be close to the strikers hands so the top ot the object can stretch enough to snap the 1x3.You will never see them strike the person with the end of the wood. Just like watching somebody break a baseball bat with a kick. They will always head down by the handle no at the thick end. This too has nothing to do with the ability of Frank Bacci. We train together and bounce together for many years. He is a standup guy a great technician and one of the best friends a man could have. That doesn’t change the fact that these feats of Magic Are still nothing but tricks. Unfortunately that’s what people like to see. We are his martial artists should not have to reduce ourselves to make believe magic acts to get the respect and recognition that is deserved. We shouldn’t have to reduce ourselves to being court jesters just to be noticed. Frank would give his life for one of his friends without a second thought. That’s what he should be judged by . To make believe that we are superhuman by these tricks, Take away from the reality of what we truly do.

CGMWilling

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The skulls were real, we brought them from China. I had one myself. They were meant for Dental students because they had teeth in them. They were dried out and easy to break. As for the breaking of 1x3s (not 2x4s) you will notice that when a person doing the striking hits the person it will be close to the strikers hands so the top ot the object can stretch enough to snap the 1x3.You will never see them strike the person with the end of the wood. Just like watching somebody break a baseball bat with a kick. They will always head down by the handle no at the thick end. This too has nothing to do with the ability of Frank Bacci. We train together and bounce together for many years. He is a standup guy a great technician and one of the best friends a man could have. That doesn’t change the fact that these feats of Magic Are still nothing but tricks. Unfortunately that’s what people like to see. We are his martial artists should not have to reduce ourselves to make believe magic acts to get the respect and recognition that is deserved. We shouldn’t have to reduce ourselves to being court jesters just to be noticed. Frank would give his life for one of his friends without a second thought. That’s what he should be judged by . To make believe that we are superhuman by these tricks, Take away from the reality of what we truly do.

CGMWilling

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Why is the truth so hard for people to hear. I am sorry if my honesty is offensive, but I find that Making believe that we have supernatural powers isn’t honest. We possess many great insights and strengths that have been earned and worked for for decades. I don’t fortunately only people who try to possess the talents That many of us have attained comes from nothing more than passion hard work and sacrifice. It should not be diluted by her side show performance. Having to demonstrate I dishonest magic trick takes away from the honor of what some men have achieved and can be overshadowed by people who have come up with demonstrations that make them appear to be more than they are. People displaying magic cheeseballs, reduces the art and makes the rest of us look like the frauds that these people are. You cannot tell a true martial artist by the act they put on by the class they teach along with their dedication to the students. When they are exposed , They make us all look bad. Watching George Dillman on ******** with penn and teller was in embarrassment to the art and made us all look like fools. There has to be a better way. And if anyone finds honesty offensive , I’m sorry you feel that way. But if you watch the karate kid and believe you can steal a black belt out of somebody else’s bag and win a black Belt division , You are in for a surprise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions