Rhino guard pressure test

Mitlov

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Is the rhino guard a preexisting part of your style, or something you've just invented?

Obviously nothing works in 100% of situations. But this technique, as you describe it, requires the opponent to not react in any way during the time you clasp and extend your arms, move in, push their hands apart, unclasp your hands, and grab them in a clinch.

If they react in any way during that time period--by moving off the line, hitting you with a hook or overhand punch, push kick, or grappling--you're very vulnerable.

And even if they don't, this doesn't seem to offer much advantage over blitzing with straight punches while moving into clinch range.

Not trying to beat up on you, just offering feedback as long as you asked for it.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
After more thinking, the rhino guard will only be tested against punching. It will not be tested against kicking - it gets into leg catching skill.

It will not be tested against locking/throwing - the main purpose is to change a striking game into a wrestling game. If your opponent wants to play the wrestling game, you will love to play with him.
Why would you not test it against kicking? Even with leg catching, you should see if it is effective against kicks-otherwise it would be fairly useless except against pure boxers.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Why would you not test it against kicking? Even with leg catching, you should see if it is effective against kicks-otherwise it would be fairly useless except against pure boxers.
Just read your other reply. So essentially, it's only a transitional phase/moment in time (you throw a jab, see them coming in, close distance with them using this as guard until they get close enough for grappling)? Sounds highly situational, but I can see it working in that particular way, if you're fast with it.

Mitlov

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Just read your other reply. So essentially, it's only a transitional phase/moment in time (you throw a jab, see them coming in, close distance with them using this as guard until they get close enough for grappling)? Sounds highly situational, but I can see it working in that particular way, if you're fast with it.

In the other hand, that's not the scenario being used in either of the "pressure testing" videos that the original poster has posted. I'm a bit confused.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
In the other hand, that's not the scenario being used in either of the "pressure testing" videos that the original poster has posted. I'm a bit confused.
Yeah, I'm not sure what their purpose is in testing this guard outside of it's intended use.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I need to use

- one arm to deal with my opponent's kick, and
- another arm to jam his leading arm, push on his upper arm, or push on his neck.

I need to use both arms to deal with kicking.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Here is the pressure test for "using rhino guard to obtain clinch - change a striking game into a wrestling game".

Your opinion are welcome.

When you first mentioned this in 2016 or 17 I thought you were joking. You kept mentioning it and making videos about it and I realized you weren't. At some point I brought it to my gym and we messed around with it on a lark. My honest assessment: it can be used as a high clinch entry, but you need to set it up like any other entry. Just holding that stance while fighting leaves you open to most everything.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
it can be used as a high clinch entry, but you need to set it up like any other entry. Just holding that stance while fighting leaves you open to most everything.
You are right.

The proper way to use it is not holding in a rhino guard and wait for your opponent to attack. The proper way to use it is when your opponent attacks, you "suddenly" use rhino guard to move in (protect your head on the way in) and try to obtain a clinch (upper body control). If you fail (not be able to get a clinch), you move back and switch back to normal guard (such as kung Fu guard, or boxing guard).

If my opponent holds a rhino guard, I will kick his belly. I won't even throw any punches.

Last edited:

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You are right.

The proper way to use it is not holding in a rhino guard and wait for your opponent to attack. The proper way to use it is when your opponent attacks, you "suddenly" use rhino guard to move in (protect your head on the way in) and try to obtain a clinch (upper body control). If you fail (not be able to get a clinch), you move back and switch back to normal guard (such as kung Fu guard, or boxing guard).

If my opponent holds a rhino guard, I will kick his belly. I won't even throw any punches.
I think this thread might be your first time explaining that in your many references to rhino guard

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
In that third video, I don't really see how the Rhino guard helps more than having both hands up separate.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In that third video, I don't really see how the Rhino guard helps more than having both hands up separate.
You can use Chinese zombie arms (no need to use rhino guard) to achieve "separate hands" too. Rhino guard just protect the head more for beginners.

Chang-zombie-guard.jpg

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You can use Chinese zombie arms (no need to use rhino guard) to achieve "separate hands" too. Rhino guard just protect the head more for beginners.

OK, I'm beginning to get the idea now. As a momentary thing used to safely enter, it makes sense. If it catches on among grapplers you'll need a better name. How about the Wang wedge? You might as well get some publicity out of it. ;)

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
When you first mentioned this in 2016 or 17 I thought you were joking. You kept mentioning it and making videos about it and I realized you weren't. At some point I brought it to my gym and we messed around with it on a lark. My honest assessment: it can be used as a high clinch entry, but you need to set it up like any other entry. Just holding that stance while fighting leaves you open to most everything.

In Bjj (Relson style) we have an clinch entry very similar to his Rhino guard, but we call it the Helmet, and it's primarily used to blunt straight punches while you enter grappling range.

I agree with you; You can't sit in punching/kicking range with that guard in place. A good striker (especially a boxer or MT guy) will quickly find ways around it.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In Bjj (Relson style) we have an clinch entry very similar to his Rhino guard, but we call it the Helmet, and it's primarily used to blunt straight punches while you enter grappling range.

I agree with you; You can't sit in punching/kicking range with that guard in place. A good striker (especially a boxer or MT guy) will quickly find ways around it.
I'll have to go look for that. The times I've seen the term "helmet" used in BJJ classes, it was a reference to a close cover using the whole arm (bent). I don' think it was in Relson's branch, though.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'll have to go look for that. The times I've seen the term "helmet" used in BJJ classes, it was a reference to a close cover using the whole arm (bent). I don' think it was in Relson's branch, though.

I typed that response before I watched the video. Upon closer inspection, the helmet used in Bjj doesn't look anything like what KFW is doing in his vids. For some reason, I thought his rhino guard resembled the helmet. My mistake.