Review of Street Sword by Phil Elmore

althaur

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I should preface this with the following statement, in case Phil accuses me of being biased or putting words/thoughts into his mouth/head.
This is my interpretation of the following work. It in no way portrays the author's, Phil Elmore, intentions, thought process or beliefs. Everything that follows are my thoughts and mine alone.
Oh yeah, Phil, don't copy this to your site as I don't trust that you would leave it in it's original form since you seem to rewrite history when it is convenient.

Street Sword by Phil Elmore.

I just received my copy in the mail today. It’s a thin book of 83 pages. A very quick read. The cover photo and all photos contained within are of very good quality. The photographer, who Phil credits in the book, did a great job.

The book is broken into four chapters with an appendix. Chapter 1 is an introduction. Chapter 2 is about the mechanics of the sword. Chapter 3 is about fighting theory. Chapter 4 is about the Swordsman’s path. The appendix gives seven lessons from Musashi.

Chapter 1: Introduction
Phil starts with a humorous look at the stereotypical JSA practitioner and the inherent “elitism” of the group. He points out that he will not be getting bogged down in terminology or nit-picking the finer points that would be required in a highly unlikely sword duel. He describes three basic sword types and what a sword does. He is very succinct in his descriptions, and maintains a lightly humorous tone throughout not only this chapter but the entire book. He also answers the question, “why a sword”. He points out that not everyone can own or wants to own a firearm. He points out basic requirements for a usable sword. He even finds time to poke fun at the Highlander wannabes.

Chapter 2: Mechanics of the Sword
At the very beginning, Phil points out that he is not worried about exact terminology used as this makes no difference when you are confronted with real life. He provides a section on selecting a sword with a few companies listed which provide “user” swords.
He briefly goes over the grips used on a sword, both the two-handed “baseball” grip and the single handed reverse grip. One fault I find with the brief discussion of grip that isn’t explained here or anywhere else is the inherent difficulty in single handed cuts with a long blade. There is no information about edge control and its effect on cutting. That being said, his grip requirement is pretty simple, hold in a way that it won’t come out of your hands.
Now we get into basic sword techniques. This is where Phil’s apparent lack of qualified training can be most noticed. Most of his “stances” seem awkward and binding. His cuts are overcommitted, reminiscent of an action film. Most of the cuts are wide and telegraphed, allowing for the possibility of avoidance and then entrance due to the ending positions of the cut and sword placement.
He covers draw cutting, which in some instances are appropriate, but never touches push-cuts. He follows up with a story about cutting a box in a class.
Phil covers overhand/underhand arcs, thrusts, 5 angles of attack and attacking from the low line. He does a good job describing the path of the sword in the various angles of attack and also covers footwork and its integration into the sword use. He follows with photos of the various angles of attacks which once again show awkward, front hand attacks that are over-committed and use very little “body” behind the cuts. Think of a hitter at home plate with his bat swung up and over his LEAD shoulder, hips and shoulders square to the pitcher.

Chapter 3: Fighting Theory
Phil briefly discusses a number of items in this chapter, the first of which is blocking, or the “angle parity theory”. He basically says that if someone is using an angle 1 attack on you, you use and angle 1 attack to defend/block the attack, preferably striking either the person or his attacking limb.
He points out the absurdity in thinking you will be able to draw and cut down your opponent like some modern day samurai.
Phil covers a little more footwork, to include some simple steps and loading/unloading of the joints and the pulley principal. Think of coiling and uncoiling to generate power and movement. (At least that is my take on it)
Phil has a section on drawing and attacks and vulnerabilities in stances. A few of the stances I seem to recall from the previously derided Highlander series.
The most ridiculous, in my opinion, section of this book was the use of the gun and sword together. His explanation for this is the practicality of a ballistic weapon and edged weapon for multiple attacker scenarios. While he rightly points out that a sword will not run out of ammo and can provide a shield of steel to “hide” behind. However, the photos display a firearm being swung around as a sword is being used with the statement that when one is forward the other should be back. It has more of the look and feel of a “street samurai” living out a fantasy. His muzzle is sweeping any number of people standing behind him, quite possibly loved ones being protected.

Chapter 4: The Swordsman’s Path
Phil focuses on the legal ramifications of using a sword in this section, transporting and carrying, safety and first aid. In his own forum and on others, I’ve read that the sword is most useful for home defense; however, Phil devotes one very short paragraph to this subject. It mainly consists of his recommendation to use a reverse grip, a shorter sword and watch out for low ceilings and furniture.
Based on the one little section discussing home use, I would have to assume that Phil’s idea behind this book is the use of a sword for everyday defense out in the big bad world. If this was truly a book devoted to realistic use of a large blade in today’s world, there should have been more space devoted to use in tight confines, or where innocents may be nearby.

Appendix A: Seven Lessons from Miyomoto Musashi
Phil covers some main points that he and some others have gleaned from the Sword Saint’s book. On of which is Be a Skeptic. He quotes Musashi in the text, “The field of martial arts is rife with flamboyant showmanship, with commercial popularization and profiteering on the part of both those who teach the science and those who study it”. Phil follows this up with comments about “fear no man schemes” and “desperate but ridiculous attempts to be different” which seem to describe Phil himself.

In all fairness, Phil has produced an enjoyably easy to read book on the very basics of sword use. He isn’t claiming to be a master of the sword; however, his lack of knowledge is evident and could lead to issues for anyone that actually tries to learn from this book. I’ve spent more money on worse books, so I’m not too upset about my $15. With that being said though, don’t waste YOUR money on this book. It doesn’t teach you anything an idiot with a sharp piece of metal couldn’t figure out on his own in an afternoon.

Josh Reis

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You should come out of hiding more often, Josh. :asian:

Thanks for the review! :)

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I concur with the above positive responses, sir - well done that man :tup:!

I think Xue spoke my mind best there :D.

OP
A

althaur

Orange Belt
Reaction score
You should come out of hiding more often, Josh. :asian:

Thanks for the review! :)

Thanks Carol. I usually don't like to post will-nilly. I bite my tongue or let others who are more knowledgeable help a discussion along.

OP
A

althaur

Orange Belt
Reaction score
What I find humorous is that Phil has taken three very short positive sections from my review and posted it on his website as proof that I found it to "stand on its on merit".

OP
A

althaur

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Unethical yes. Illegal no. He can do it under fair use. I've just made sure to have the full review available for a lot of people.

The Master

Bow Before Me.
Reaction score
Isn't that illegal, or at least, unethical?
So, we have a book, written by someone with minimal knowledge of such, being published and presented as an instructional guide?

One would hope that a reputable publisher would check credentials before publishing.

Oh well. I'm off to write "Advanced Tactical Combat Techniques for the Home - Defeating the Home Invader with a tv remote and a couch cushion."
Available soon $29.95/$35.96 CAN.

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
One would hope that a reputable publisher would check credentials before publishing.

that's where we go wrong. paladin press puts out a lot of drek. a week ago i would have said only drek, but some people i respect have turned me on to some good titles under that label.

still, paladin is not a reputable publisher.

OP
A

althaur

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Heh heh. I could review it for you. ;)

I don't think this particular publisher is know for credibilty or quality.

The Martialist

White Belt
Reaction score
This fellow's been pasting the same review at a variety of forums across the Internet. At a few of these they've been in histrionics over the book for some time now. Take away some of the supposition and personal bias and you actually get a pretty positive take on it, from someone who obviously had a problem with me to start with:

"...A very quick read. The cover photo and all photos contained within are of very good quality. The photographer, who Phil credits in the book, did a great job.

...Phil starts with a humorous look at the stereotypical JSA practitioner and the inherent “elitism” of the group. He points out that he will not be getting bogged down in terminology or nit-picking the finer points that would be required in a highly unlikely sword duel. He describes three basic sword types and what a sword does. He is very succinct in his descriptions, and maintains a lightly humorous tone throughout not only this chapter but the entire book. He also answers the question, “why a sword”. He points out that not everyone can own or wants to own a firearm. He points out basic requirements for a usable sword. He even finds time to poke fun at the Highlander wannabes.

...Phil has produced an enjoyably easy to read book on the very basics of sword use. He isn’t claiming to be a master of the sword...I’ve spent more money on worse books, so I’m not too upset about my $15.

- Joshua Reis

I'm going to excerpt this portion for whatever web page I eventually put up for Street Sword.

Looking over the original review the only really substantive criticism he offered (one easily addressed) is the notion of sweeping imaginary family members with the barrel of the pistol in the very brief section of the book that discusses using a sword with a pistol.

The whole point of wielding two weapons in this context is not just to engage different distances, but to cover both in front and behind the practitioner. Obviously you would alter where you point the barrel of your weapon, just as you would alter the depth of your strikes in proximity to innocents. I did not feel it necessary to specify this, as I assume my readers are not morons, but I did preface the entier section with the following:

An entire book could be written on using the sword and pistol together. My intent is not truly to teach you how to do this -- it is a safety nightmare in training, for example... -- but there is no harm in relating to you the fundamental concept.
Combine the basic principles in this book with the four basic rules of firearm safety...

...To these principles, add a fifth that couples of the use of the sword with the use of the handgun: Never allow the effective areas of both weapons to overlap.

...The following sequence illustrates how this works in practice.

I did specify that you must never cover anything with the muzzle of the pistol you are not willing to destroy. There follows only a single sequence, and of course there is no one behind me in that sequence. An entire book on the subject would deal with those issues at length, but the material is explicitly prefaced as being the relation of a concept, not instruction in how to apply it in the fine details. "Josh's" criticism is therefore specious.

Overall his review is pretty biased, but you can see that even then he could not help but, however grudgingly, acknowledge the body of work contained therein to be sound (despite the fact that he does not like how I demonstrate the techniques, and setting aside the absurdity of criticizing form in a book whose premise is that form is largely immaterial to pragmatic delivery of force with a long, sharp blade). I'll let those of you with more knowledge of these matters than "Joshua Reis" decide for yourselves the difference between a gross-motor, committed movement (which is the piont of a book directed at beginners) and an "over-committed" and therefore vulnerable movement.

I would encourage anyone who is curious to take a look at the book for themselves. It's not expensive and it is, for those interested in pragmatic use of the long blade who have no use for traditional trappings and unnecessary ceremony, a very useful reference (if I do say so myself).

I also thank Josh for bringing up the topic. Though he doesn't like me and has ulterior motives for cross-pasting his review all over the Web, he is doing me a service by bringing the book to your attention (in a way that I cannot myself without appearing to be advertising the book).

PS: Paladin Press is the best (and in many cases the only) source of a great many very credible and very useful texts on the martial arts, weaponry, self-defense, survivalism, and a host of other "action" topics. Dismissing an entire publisher based on a single book whose author you don't like is childish. It also does you a disservice in denying you access to books you would find both useful and entertaining -- books you can't get anywhere else. Don't simply write off an entire publisher just because you can't get over your personal dislike for a single person or title.

OP
A

althaur

Orange Belt
Reaction score

Overall his review is pretty biased, but you can see that even then he could not help but, however grudgingly, acknowledge the body of work contained therein to be sound (despite the fact that he does not like how I demonstrate the techniques, and setting aside the absurdity of criticizing form in a book whose premise is that form is largely immaterial to pragmatic delivery of force with a long, sharp blade). I'll let those of you with more knowledge of these matters than "Joshua Reis" decide for yourselves the difference between a gross-motor, committed movement (which is the piont of a book directed at beginners) and an "over-committed" and therefore vulnerable movement.

Phil, are you reading the same review as everyone else? I never acknowledged the body of work to be sound. If anything, I judged it a poor shadow of actual quality.

You entire premise behind the book is unsound.

OP
A

althaur

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Yep. I also let Phil know that if he butchered my review to make it suit his own needs I would make sure that as many people saw the whole review as possible.

Phil seems to only be worried about others ethical standards, not his own.

The Master

Bow Before Me.
Reaction score
Well doing the suggestive cut is no worse than what Hollywood does for their crap movies. You know, the "Best Movie This Year!" (which was awarded Jan 2nd) ones.

If I ever see the book in a reputable book store I may glance through it, but I prefer to spend my money on martial arts books written by credible and experienced people.

If you want some quality sword books, check out books by Craig.
The Heart of Kendo: A Comprehensive Introduction to the Philosophy and Practice of the Art of the Sword by Darrell Max Craig (Paperback - Dec 24, 2002)
Iai: The Art of Drawing the Sword by Darrell Craig (Paperback - Jun 1988)
Mugai Ryu: The Classical Japanese Art of Drawing the Sword by Darrell Max Craig (Paperback - Jan 25, 2003)
Comprehensive Introduction To The Philosophy And Practice Of The Art Of The Sword by Darrell Max Craig (Hardcover - 1999)
Also, this one is good (updated version of earlier edition):
Flashing Steel, 2nd edition: Mastering Eishin-Ryu Swordmanship by Leonard Pellman and Masayuki Shimabukuro (Paperback - Nov 27, 2007)
as is this:
Japanese Sword Fighting: Secrets of the Samurai by Masaaki Hatsumi (Hardcover - Mar 1, 2006)
Heck, look at Stephen Hayes ninja books. :ninja:
These guys get the dance steps right. :rofl:

The Master

Bow Before Me.
Reaction score
Yep. I also let Phil know that if he butchered my review to make it suit his own needs I would make sure that as many people saw the whole review as possible.

Phil seems to only be worried about others ethical standards, not his own.
Some people.