Reverse Knife Hand strike - 3 boards.

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just broke 3 boards with a Reverse Knife Hand (Ridgehand). I was feeling a little apprehensive about doing this one as I didn't want to hyperextend my elbow but it turned out OK:

There is always some risk of injury when breaking, that is why developing good technique is so important. What breaks gave you cause for concern but turned fine.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't break boards so this may be a stupid assumption. When I want to drive power in my strike I breath out. I notice that you yell before striking. Are you holding your breath as you strike or is there a quick inhale as you wind up?

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Or when you are holding them and a piece flies up and hits you in the face or you drop one on your foot point first.

Yeah that's why I haven't done that stuff in years only stuff I break is bones if some guys stupid enough to try and mug me

OP
R

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't break boards so this may be a stupid assumption. When I want to drive power in my strike I breath out. I notice that you yell before striking. Are you holding your breath as you strike or is there a quick inhale as you wind up?
I didn't really give it much thought at the time as I was more concerned with not damaging anything but the boards. Usually I exhale on the strike. I kihap (however you spell it) before the strike to make sure that I put everything behind it (if you yell at them they seem to break easier) and it also takes my mind of the fact that this is probably going to hurt a bit.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Nice, strong break, bro.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Boards don't hit back :)