Retailers' holiday sales plummet 4 percent

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Maybe it's just me trying to be the optimist, but with the economy the way it is, I don't consider a 4% drop in sales deserving of the word "plummet" ...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20081227/bs_nm/us_usa_holidaysales_spendingpulse_6

... I my mind this is once again an example of the media over dramatizing the situation. I would rather see them call this a 'better than expected sales event". Again, maybe it's me trying to see that "the glass is half-full".

What are your thoughts on this?

Are there any other examples you can find of sensationalism in the media, good or bad?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
4 percent does not seem that much but remember that electronics was down considerably this year and so was alot of big ticket items. People spent more on little items that helped the overall picture.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
4 percent does not seem that much but remember that electronics was down considerably this year and so was alot of big ticket items. People spent more on little items that helped the overall picture.
Not where I work. We couldn't keep Wii's(((ALTHOUGH, Nintendo intentionally DOES NOT SHIP enough Wiis to keep up with the demand for them, which, IMO, ought to be illegal, as artificially creating a shortage is, at best dishonest...)))or iPods on the shelves. TV's were going fast, as were Bluray players and the higher priced digital cameras.
Last year was the first year we were open and we are up 192% overall over that. Electronics is up 225%...

In the run up to the 2000 election, anytime Bush or Cheney spoke about the then softening economy, the news media went on about how they were "Talking DOWN the economy" This year EVERYBODY on BOTH sides talked down the economy and gas prices have fallen 50% in the past 5 months, we, as a nation are spending A BILLION DOLLARS LESS PER DAY on gas than we were in June. Things are not as dire as they are made out to be. Those people who lost their homes to foreclosure, by and large had bought homes they had no buisiness getting loans for. Cities and even States are telling banks and lenders that they cannot foreclose, which, by the way, denies the lenders any recovery of the money they paid for those houses...

Ray

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
...I don't consider a 4% drop in sales deserving of the word "plummet" ...

Are there any other examples you can find of sensationalism in the media, good or bad?
It always seems that the media uses exagerative adjectives to describe things. Either it is a "hook" into the story or it is a (deliberate or undeliberate) interjection of the reporters views.

I've seen stories where 18 or 19 year old males have been accused of committing crimes...reporters that seem to be "easy" on punishment sometimes describe them as "teens" or youths, etc(which is obviously accurate); while other reporters describe them as "men"

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes but a 4% plummet in the retail world will probably ensure some where and I am guessing here of 20% to 30% of retail companies going bankrupt. They function on such a slim margin of error. When times are good they roll and make a lot of profit but with a loss is sales it really weeds out the poorly run companies quickly.
icon6.gif

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe it's just me trying to be the optimist, but with the economy the way it is, I don't consider a 4% drop in sales deserving of the word "plummet" ...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20081227/bs_nm/us_usa_holidaysales_spendingpulse_6

... I my mind this is once again an example of the media over dramatizing the situation. I would rather see them call this a 'better than expected sales event". Again, maybe it's me trying to see that "the glass is half-full".

What are your thoughts on this?

Any time there is a drop from what they're used to making, they're going to think its the end of the world. I've heard alot of people doing shopping online this year, as well as going to stores such as Target and WalMart, vs. Macys, etc.

fireman00

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Amazon.com said they had record sales this year. What does that show you? the media is unable to provide a balanced picture of what's happening in the U.S.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
According to the news reports this is quite possibly the worst Christmas shopping season since at least the recession of 1981-1982. It looks like about a quarter of all retailers are in danger of going out of business.

We're screwed. The Administration and its business owners are trying keep the Potemkin village up to cast maximum blame on the incoming President.

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
According to the news reports this is quite possibly the worst Christmas shopping season since at least the recession of 1981-1982. It looks like about a quarter of all retailers are in danger of going out of business.

We're screwed. The Administration and its business owners are trying keep the Potemkin village up to cast maximum blame on the incoming President.

I've read that online sales held out OK. The shorter shopping season and bad weather played a role in the retail slump. However, a four percent drop in walk-in retail is noticeable as stores are counting on a big push in sales to carry them through a quieter period in January. Four percent could well translate into retail jobs lost. If people weren't going to the malls to in December, then they weren't going into food courts to eat.

It's the start of a rough year for hourly workers.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Plus its a sad fact that Customer service in retail stores is becoming pathetic.

You go into stores and these places that "have no buisness" have big gaping empty holes in their shelves where mechandise hasn't been stocked... 15 people in the 1 line they have open, while 7 more Checkouts stand unmanned...

So much easier to hop on Amazon than deal with the stores. And you know before you spend time shopping if what you want is in stock.

SensibleManiac

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, it's really just a simple example of why you shouldn't trust the media or listen to what they say.
They are simply pushing an agenda.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think the media does add to creating a vicious cycle. its adds fears to consumers. I am going out shopping this week since I have a week vacation and I am curious to see what kind of sales are out there. I was reading today that all kinds of prices are slashed. The "experts" that i saw on the news yesterday are saying 2009 economy will most likley be worse than 2008. I work in financial services and they say the problems are just starting there although fortunately my area is currently swamped with work.