Resuming MA training

dan.jaret

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi guys, I started training northern shaolin again a month ago after not training for a few years. It definitely feels great and I'm not sure why I stopped in the first place (life, family, work, studies, money, kids, excuses? lol)

I'm 35 years old, and I've exercised since as far back as I can remember. What I've been doing all this time that I did not train martial arts per se is, stretching, calisthenics, jogging, etc. I'm glad I did because coming back to martial arts classes was not that tough
hat.gif

There's tons of great info and people in here so I'll get to reading!

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome. You'll find a lot of different views, approaches, and arts represented here on MT - good disagreements to get you thinking, and maybe even some sparring partners.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to MartialTalk and welcome back to martial arts training. Hope you enjoy both.

How long did you train originally before you took a hiatus from your study?

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Having had to leave and come back to training several times myself, I am always happy to read a post like this.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hi guys, I started training northern shaolin again a month ago after not training for a few years. It definitely feels great and I'm not sure why I stopped in the first place (life, family, work, studies, money, kids, excuses? lol)

I'm 35 years old, and I've exercised since as far back as I can remember. What I've been doing all this time that I did not train martial arts per se is, stretching, calisthenics, jogging, etc. I'm glad I did because coming back to martial arts classes was not that tough
hat.gif

There's tons of great info and people in here so I'll get to reading!
Hey welcome along! Can I ask what made you start again after your hiatus?? :)

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome to MT, bro. Glad you're back training.

OP
dan.jaret

dan.jaret

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome.

Welcome along. Northern Shaolin, could you elaborate on that?
Let me try, the style is bei shaolin, long fist shaolin. I don't know a lot about the history, I found it here:
Northern Shaolin (martial art) - Wikipedia
This matches what I'm practicing. I'm learning the form Shaolin 6 now, Tun Da. It's pretty amazing, it keeps your energy pumping. How can I explain it... I feel on fire after 30 minutes of practice, I see vapor coming out of my body, much like dragon ball Z stuff LOL

Welcome. You'll find a lot of different views, approaches, and arts represented here on MT - good disagreements to get you thinking, and maybe even some sparring partners.
Excellent, this will be good to learn to control my temper and not let it control me ;)

Welcome to MartialTalk and welcome back to martial arts training. Hope you enjoy both.

How long did you train originally before you took a hiatus from your study?
For 1 year and a half this particular style, and the hiatus was a few years long though I was always connected in some ways, practicing the little I remembered.

Having had to leave and come back to training several times myself, I am always happy to read a post like this.
Yeah man, I don't know why this happens, part of our personality? I'm getting a hold of myself and not quitting again. Even if I can practice 10 minutes a day, that's what I'll do. I believe the forum will keep me motivated, I hardly used forums before, I'm not very social and that's a mistake.

Hey welcome along! Can I ask what made you start again after your hiatus?? :)
Feeling bad about abandoning my goals, wanting to practice a form or something that I had learne and just staying there not remembering much. Not knowing makes me feel bad about myself, I just had to realize that. Also feeling weak in a way and at the same time remembering how awesome I felt while I was training everyday.

Thanks for your questions guys, they prompted to get a few feelings out of me :)

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah man, I don't know why this happens, part of our personality? I'm getting a hold of myself and not quitting again. Even if I can practice 10 minutes a day, that's what I'll do. I believe the forum will keep me motivated, I hardly used forums before, I'm not very social and that's a mistake.

For me it has been a matter of money. Well, at least it has been for the last few months. Before that, I was in a really bad marriage where I was made to feel like the world's biggest most selfish jerk if I went out and did wing chun. Once I get a couple debts eliminated though, I am free and clear to go back!

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome.

Let me try, the style is bei shaolin, long fist shaolin. I don't know a lot about the history, I found it here:
Northern Shaolin (martial art) - Wikipedia
This matches what I'm practicing. I'm learning the form Shaolin 6 now, Tun Da. It's pretty amazing, it keeps your energy pumping. How can I explain it... I feel on fire after 30 minutes of practice, I see vapor coming out of my body, much like dragon ball Z stuff LOL

Excellent, this will be good to learn to control my temper and not let it control me ;)

For 1 year and a half this particular style, and the hiatus was a few years long though I was always connected in some ways, practicing the little I remembered.

Feeling bad about abandoning my goals, wanting to practice a form or something that I had learne and just staying there not remembering much. Not knowing makes me feel bad about myself, I just had to realize that. Also feeling weak in a way and at the same time remembering how awesome I felt while I was training everyday.

Thanks for your questions guys, they prompted to get a few feelings out of me :)

Controlling your temper does become easier. Rather than go stress overload and say and do things out of character, just use temper to step back. Eventually, that impulse becomes more evaluation. Loss of temper I don't know, just saying :)

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For me it has been a matter of money. Well, at least it has been for the last few months. Before that, I was in a really bad marriage where I was made to feel like the world's biggest most selfish jerk if I went out and did wing chun. Once I get a couple debts eliminated though, I am free and clear to go back!

Not sure what the correct term is, but that is mucked up. All the best is somewhat is somewhat lame, but that anyway :)

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not sure what the correct term is, but that is mucked up. All the best is somewhat is somewhat lame, but that anyway :)

It is what it is. That's what happens when you are married to a self-centered person. Anyway, it is also partially my fault for not just being like, "Uh, yeah...I'll talk to you after class." LOL

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a short financially-driven hiatus a while back, too. Lots of folks let the break in the habit keep them away until they feel like it's something in the past, and they never make it back. Glad to hear you'll be able to get back to active classes soon!

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a short financially-driven hiatus a while back, too. Lots of folks let the break in the habit keep them away until they feel like it's something in the past, and they never make it back. Glad to hear you'll be able to get back to active classes soon!

Probably not the original meaning, but still.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score

Oh, this time around I did not let it break my habit. I have been practicing my forms, as well as other little weekly challenges suggested by a martial arts group I joined on Facebook.

OP
dan.jaret

dan.jaret

White Belt
Reaction score
Controlling your temper does become easier. Rather than go stress overload and say and do things out of character, just use temper to step back. Eventually, that impulse becomes more evaluation. Loss of temper I don't know, just saying :)
Interesting, this sounds like applying aikido or taichi to the situation ;)

Oh, this time around I did not let it break my habit. I have been practicing my forms, as well as other little weekly challenges suggested by a martial arts group I joined on Facebook.
Right, money should not be an issue, ever. Let's keep moving forward!

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was referring to the habit of going to class. Once that habit is broken, other things tend to fill the gap, unless we guard the gap.

Latest Discussions