Resources for boxing?

Jonathan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hi ya'll-

So, various other martial arts have magazines dedicated to their arts... does boxing have anything along those lines that you would suggest?

Also, are there texts you might recommend? I've been reading Dempsey's "Championship Fighting", and really dig it. Anything else you might suggest?

Ken Pfrenger

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hi Jonathan,

Glad ot hear you are getting something out of Dempsey's book. It is a gem!

I don't know of any magazines devoted to the art of boxing...lots of mags like "The Ring" that cover the sport but rarely if ever delve into the practice.

I run a mail list on yahoo called Classicpugilism:
http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/classicpugilism

As far as I know it is the best place in the world for info about the martial art of boxing rather than the sport.

Of course I would be more than happy to discuss it here too!

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi ya'll-

So, various other martial arts have magazines dedicated to their arts... does boxing have anything along those lines that you would suggest?

Also, are there texts you might recommend? I've been reading Dempsey's "Championship Fighting", and really dig it. Anything else you might suggest?
What sort of books are you looking for? I've seen a fair number of books on the shelves at Borders and B. Dalton of late both about boxing (like Cinderalla Man or Reading the Fights and and "how to" books that cover the basics reasonably well. You can also find a lot of videos and books (including a free PDF that you can download) at Ringside.com.

But there's still no substitu

Ken Pfrenger

Green Belt
Reaction score
Sorry, I got so caught up in taling about Dempsey and the classic pugilism list that I forgot to give any titles!

"Boxing" by Edwin Haislett is an excellent book. Written in the 50's but not dated at all.

I'll dig around for some more titles. That is the only one off the top of my head that is really great besides Dempsey. Of course there are lots of historical manuals to go over as well if you are interested in that route.

OP
Jonathan

Jonathan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
What sort of books are you looking for? I've seen a fair number of books on the shelves at Borders and B. Dalton of late both about boxing (like Cinderalla Man or Reading the Fights and and "how to" books that cover the basics reasonably well. You can also find a lot of videos and books (including a free PDF that you can download) at Ringside.com.

No substitue for getting in there and taking my lumps, I know. :) I haven't even really started officially yet- I just have the contract signed and am waiting for the gym to finally open.

As for the kind of books, I'm primarily interested in those that cover techniques (defenses, stances, blows that might be considered 'unorthodox' but still perfectly legal, etc.) and conditioning.

OP
Jonathan

Jonathan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hi Jonathan,

It really is! I especially enjoyed reading about the 'drop step', and the section wherein Dempsey discusses how to watch a fight. It really makes so much sense, how he breaks things down.

Fionn McCool

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hi Jonathan,

I don't know of any magazines devoted to the art of boxing...lots of mags like "The Ring" that cover the sport but rarely if ever delve into the practice.

I run a mail list on yahoo called Classicpugilism:
http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/classicpugilism

As far as I know it is the best place in the world for info about the martial art of boxing rather than the sport.

Of course I would be more than happy to discuss it here too!

Wonderful site, Ken. Very informative.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ringside.com & Titleboxing.com both have DVD's on technique & training. Title even has some DVD's done by trainer Freddy Roach. He's one of the best trainers in the sport. (I don't know how good the videos are, tho) I'd bet they'd be worth a look.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
No substitue for getting in there and taking my lumps, I know. :) I haven't even really started officially yet- I just have the contract signed and am waiting for the gym to finally open.

As for the kind of books, I'm primarily interested in those that cover techniques (defenses, stances, blows that might be considered 'unorthodox' but still perfectly legal, etc.) and conditioning.

Well, what I actually would swear I typed (though it didn't appear) was more like "no substitute for a good coach." :)

Sounds like you've lined something up along those lines...

Boxing is fairly simple and "unrefined" as compared to many of what we think of when we say "martial arts." Orthodox boxers fight with their weaj/non-dominant hand and side forward (but not so far as to be sideways). There are blocks and checks in boxing, though you don't see them often. The rules encourage offense, not defense -- but skilled counterpunchers are respected. There are basically 4 punches in boxing; the jab, the straight right/right cross (leftys would use the left here), the hook, and the uppercut. Evasion aka bobbing and weaving, and footwork are important defensive skills.

I'd suggest starting with Ringside's free manual; afer all, it's FREE!:ultracool Seriously, it does have good basic info. After that, there are several books around, as well as Ringside's library. And I'm sure that Everlast probably has a library of their own.

Bebe

White Belt
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good heavy bag workout that would give a 59 year old man a good aerobic workout?

Radhnoti

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I've enjoyed Mark Hatmaker's books. I'd bet "Boxing Mastery: Advanced Technique, Tactics and Strategies from the Sweet Science" would suit you. Even though he's titled it "advanced" I think anyone should be able to start with it...he does recommend (in the Boxing Mastery book) starting with his "Savage Strikes" title though.
I've trained with Mark a time or two and he's a great coach, I also think his books are very clear with the information he presents.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Coach Christopher Getz's "Ultimate Boxing Fundamentals" DVD series. I highly recommend them.

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score

I'm looking at the Ringside site right now, but don't see that pdf file.
Where is it located on the site?

AoG

OP
Jonathan

Jonathan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
So, I got Beaumont's book, "Championship Streetfighting: Boxing as a Martial Art" as a Christmas gift... it's actually a really good read, IMO (though I do kind of blanche at the way the author blasts other styles).

What's funny is that in visualizing some of the techniqes, I realized that I already do that! So it seems that, if I were to ever fight in the ring
'for real', I'd have to be careful of throwing a rabbit punch (I have fairly long arms, and I tend to hook in close). I've also been throwing shovel hooks without realizing it. No idea if I'm doing them well, of course, but I've been doing them, apparently. :)