Request

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My wife is interested in Muay Thai. The only thing near enough is a kickboxing aerobics class.

She asked me if I knew of any videos that she could learn from and my knowledge of the art is limited to the point that I could not offer any assistance.

For an initial introduction to MT, basics and, maybe, a form or two, what would you MT practitioners suggest?

domo

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Surely someone has a suggestion?

I just picked up a nice book on this art:
Muay Thai a Living Legacy, Vol. I by Lesley D. Junlakan

The version I got is not exactly the one in the link--it is labeled a second edition, and has a second author, Kat Prayukvong. It's very complete and has many nice technique photo series!

Randy Strausbaugh

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Century Marital Arts has the old Panther Productions videos on DVD for about $10 each. The Muay Thai video with Pud Pad Noy Woroot is OK.

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses. I'll look into this selection today and try to choose one that will be most effective and beneficial.

AdrenalineJunky

Black Belt
Reaction score
My advise, though, is that if she's going to use the videos and the books, please, please, please, have her attend a training seminar. The both of you should attend, if possible; you need a heavy-bag and a trainer, otherwise there really is no point learning Muay Thai. I cannot stress that enough.
yoda.h1.jpg

Always two sith, there are; a trainer and an apprentice, lol.

If you need help figuring out where a seminar is, let me know. Also, if you want to heads-up on choosing training equipment, I'd be happy to help.

AJ

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
More important then videos, she'll need to find some sparring partners and people to hold pads. It's not something you can learn on your own.

AdrenalineJunky

Black Belt
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
More important then videos, she'll need to find some sparring partners and people to hold pads. It's not something you can learn on your own.

agree.jpg

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
AdrenalineJunky said:
My advise, though, is that if she's going to use the videos and the books, please, please, please, have her attend a training seminar. The both of you should attend, if possible; you need a heavy-bag and a trainer, otherwise there really is no point learning Muay Thai. I cannot stress that enough.

Always two sith, there are; a trainer and an apprentice, lol.

If you need help figuring out where a seminar is, let me know. Also, if you want to heads-up on choosing training equipment, I'd be happy to help.

AJ

We have a 100lb bag to kick and beat mercilessly. In fact, I just got done kicking the daylights out of it myself.
She does understand the necessity of a trainer. It's a question of distance at this point. Nothing nearby at all.

Andrew Green said:

She told me that's why she got married :)

AdrenalineJunky

Black Belt
Reaction score
OnlyAnEgg said:
We have a 100lb bag to kick and beat mercilessly. In fact, I just got done kicking the daylights out of it myself.
She does understand the necessity of a trainer. It's a question of distance at this point. Nothing nearby at all.

She told me that's why she got married :)

You may be looking at making a trip, then. Sometimes I travel three hours to get some new training/sparring. One of you needs to learn the basics from a trainer, if you intend to really learn. There are many Ajarns and Khrus that travel to various schools, schools which are not necessarily associated with Muay Thai. Once you have the basics, you can train on your own for a year or so, until it becomes time to learn more. But I'm going to strongly suggest that the two of you take a weekend, make the trip, and attend a one or two day seminar. Then the two of you know what's going on, and can supplement your training with the videos and the books.

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Maybe you could have her run a few miles and then you could punch her in the face a few times and knee her in the gut. Then go out for some Pad thai. That might be a good substitute

I'm just kidding don't hit your wife. Unless she asks you to. In writing. Notarized.

AdrenalineJunky

Black Belt
Reaction score
DavidCC said:
Maybe you could have her run a few miles and then you could punch her in the face a few times and knee her in the gut. Then go out for some Pad thai. That might be a good substitute

I'm just kidding don't hit your wife. Unless she asks you to. In writing. Notarized.

Are you mocking Muay Thai??? Bring it on, Kenpoka!! I ain't scared! :ultracool

adonfacingleft.gif

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
DavidCC said:

I already suggested something like that...that's why I bought the bag.

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
AdrenalineJunky said:
Are you mocking Muay Thai??? Bring it on, Kenpoka!! I ain't scared! :ultracool

adonfacingleft.gif

Are you saying that's NOT a good impersonation of MT??? LOL maybe you just don't like pad thai :D :p I've never done MT but it sounds a lot like "get really worn out then get hit a lot"

AdrenalineJunky

Black Belt
Reaction score
OnlyAnEgg said:
3 hours 45 minutes

Give them a call and find out how much a day's drop-in costs. Maybe hang around for the MMA, just for the heck of it. You'll get more out of one class than you will out of those videos. It's all training, the same way boxing is; learning the basics will take you an afternoon (maybe longer if your others MAs make it difficult to get stance, and such). It's not the strikes that make Muay Thai, it's the training. The few dos and don'ts you'll need to know about the basic strikes can easily be explained by a Khru; whereas the videos don't interact and tell you when you are messing something up. Anyway, I'd urge you to make a weekend out of it, and make the trip; it will make a world of difference. Then train on your own.

AdrenalineJunky

Black Belt
Reaction score
DavidCC said:
Are you saying that's NOT a good impersonation of MT??? LOL maybe you just don't like pad thai :D :p I've never done MT but it sounds a lot like "get really worn out then get hit a lot"

Muay Thai is like the dark-side of the force. We don't waste a bunch of time on internal aspects. . .we're more. . .search, destroy, rule the galaxy type of martial artists. Lol. A good comparison is boxing. Training methods are similar; Muay Thai is like boxing and-a-half.

Latest Discussions