Reputation System - Yay / Ney?

Should we bring back the rep-system, and if so, how?

• NO

• Yes - As it Was

• Yes - No Anonymous Dings. Everyone can see who reped them (note will require a reset to 0)

• Yes - No Negative dings allowed

Results are only viewable after voting.

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
feels like there was a black-out and now electricity is back on!

Sapper6

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
i see the greenies are back but the rep comments are not. was that intentional? just wondering.

**EDIT** nevermind. i had to click "show rep". :)

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Everything will be alright until people start whining. It's supposed to be fun not **** anyone off. :whip:

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bob Hubbard said:
ok....here's the scoop.

- I have re-enabled the system as-is.

- When I upgrade MT I will be installing several enhancements to the system.

- If anyone has a problem with rep-received, contact a member of the admin team.

- Anyone caught abusing it will get -1- warning. After that, you will lose your ability to GIVE reputation.

- We will be contacting a couple of individuals about comments in the system prior to today. Those will not be counted towards the 1 chance.
Thanks. Sounds fair to me. It helps (at least it did me) new members see who's who. I've really only encountered one high rep jerk - and he has since been banned. Now that I've been here a while it's not so important because I've become familiar with most of the frequent posting members so I don't need to see their "green stuff" to tell but new members will not be.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bob Hubbard said:
ok....here's the scoop.

- I have re-enabled the system as-is.
I gotta admit, it's good to be able to check it again!

Well, the discussion has been worthwhile. It's made me think more about the rep. system. I'm curious what we'll see in the new and improved version!

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
All right, I think reputation is like manure - if you don't spread it around it doesn't work right, just sits there and stinks.

So ... HAPPY REPUTATION, EVERYONE!! I gave out as much as I could in 24 hours. Enjoy and may all our minds grow in the fertile land of MT-dom.

Bob - I ran out before I hit you, but I'll knock you up .. er, I mean ... I'll rep you tomorrow night! :ultracool

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
All right, I think reputation is like manure - if you don't spread it around it doesn't work right, just sits there and stinks.

So ... HAPPY REPUTATION, EVERYONE!! I gave out as much as I could in 24 hours. Enjoy and may all our minds grow in the fertile land of MT-dom.

Bob - I ran out before I hit you, but I'll knock you up .. er, I mean ... I'll rep you tomorrow night! :ultracool
I know, I LOVE giving out Rep. (30 good to every bad!)!!! I think I'll max out today, too. BTW, you got a pile of manure today.

Here, I'll knock Bob up for you. It's the least I can do for bringing the system back up along with adding a 1 warning policy that should decrease abuse.
(BTW, someone reading my post out of context might wonder about my mental state. LOL).

Reactions: MJS

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Gee..leave town for a few days and look what happens. :)

Eternal Beginner

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I suppose I voted to having it, but not anonymously because the two times I have been dinged I can't figure out why. Maybe if I knew who dinged me, or at least a comment I would be able to modify what offended them. One time it was for a thread on cauliflower ear (maybe they find it too ugly to talk about?) and the other time I thought I was just expressing sympathy for someone who was going through a rough patch.

An anonymous, no comment ding just seems a little random...heck, maybe they were even mistakes - I'll never know.
nixweiss.gif

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Question:
Should those who have disabled reputation be allowed to give rep (positive or negative)?

7sm

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
it's all a matter of courage
what good are fighters if they are cowards?
when they leave a negative rep they dont say who they are
and they want to give reps and they dont want to be rep'ed

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
7starmantis said:
Question:
Should those who have disabled reputation be allowed to give rep (positive or negative)?

7sm
Disabled rep just means the ranking's not displayed. Rep +/- can still be given.

On the topic of dings though, has anyone ever gotten a constructive one? Almost all of mine are from disgruntled right wing wannabe pundits and christian types who dislike my study postings. Not one of 'em was constructive or informative in any way.

Only told me I needed to do more of what they didn't like.

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
mantis said:
it's all a matter of courage
what good are fighters if they are cowards?
when they leave a negative rep they dont say who they are
and they want to give reps and they dont want to be rep'ed
Actually it's all a matter of how you view other's opinions of yourself. If you put so much importance on how others think about you that an anonymous opinion is upsetting, then I think the person who feels this way has a lot of self-examination to accomplish.
Question:

7sm
I think a user should either opt out of the rep system totally or engage in it fully.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Marginal said:
On the topic of dings though, has anyone ever gotten a constructive one?
Yes. But most were more directed against me personally, or as retaliation for what they believed was a ding by me, than on the content of the post.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
I think a user should either opt out of the rep system totally or engage in it fully.
I think there's a certain fairness to this, and on balance I'd agree. I have on occasion given rep. to people who have it disabled, say for a really good post--they still see the feedback.

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Marginal said:
On the topic of dings though, has anyone ever gotten a constructive one?
I've had two or three dings where the comment left made me think about the post I made to the extent that it changed my mind. Usually it's just a disagreement or something that could have been posted in thread for discussion rather than a feeling on what I said.

Isn't that what reputation is all about?

Latest Discussions