Reputation System - Yay / Ney?

Should we bring back the rep-system, and if so, how?

• NO

• Yes - As it Was

• Yes - No Anonymous Dings. Everyone can see who reped them (note will require a reset to 0)

• Yes - No Negative dings allowed

Results are only viewable after voting.

Kenpodoc

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Personally I liked the reps, the good ones are nice and the bad ones allow you reevaluate what you said with no need to change your mind. Restarting at 0 should be OK. It might make sense to restat at 0 every year so that rep points express current opinion and not the length of time on martial talk. As to the weight of the red reps, it seems that most of those with overall negative reps earned them and likely were proud of the accomplishment.

Jeff

Sapper6

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
anonimity with the rep system is not a bad thing. dinging somebody for a comment should not be about a "personal attack". it should be about allowing that person to reflect on a comment that didn't go over well. instead, attaching names to reps will only personalize such and will be perceived as an attack. this will boil over into the thread topic as two morons sling mud at each other. we will see more suspensions, more locked threads, and more BS. i've seen it firsthand.

you're going to have dumbasses with any system. resetting everyone's reputation because of a couple whiners is senseless.

resetting grants immunity to the dickweeds while taking away from the people who actually contribute to this community.

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kenpodoc said:
Personally I liked the reps, the good ones are nice and the bad ones allow you reevaluate what you said with no need to change your mind. Restarting at 0 should be OK. It might make sense to restat at 0 every year so that rep points express current opinion and not the length of time on martial talk. As to the weight of the red reps, it seems that most of those with overall negative reps earned them and likely were proud of the accomplishment.

Jeff
I thought about that... heck, if the system was fully programmable and easy to do so, you could have fun. Have a bunch of seperate reps. Have a martial rep and non-martial rep. keep a total rep too. keep a yearly rep for each of them LOL. you could go bananas :)

of all of those, I'd like seeing a seperation of martial and non-martial reps. Good way to kind of tell if someone is knowledgable of their art, and not just a nice chap.

MrH

Sapper6

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
mrhnau said:
of all of those, I'd like seeing a seperation of martial and non-martial reps. Good way to kind of tell if someone is knowledgable of their art, and not just a nice chap.

MrH

i disagree. the rep system should be relative to all things discussed on MT, regardless of it's relation to martial arts. you could have a member that is pretty knowledgeable about MA but is a total jerk and annoying *** outside of that. i could care less about how much you know. if you're a jerk, you're rep should reflect that. the martial arts is not limited just to combat arts. its' philosophy should bleed over to everything you do in life; the way you carry yourself in public, the manner in which you treat others, maturity, etc.

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sapper6 said:
i disagree. the rep system should be relative to all things discussed on MT, regardless of it's relation to martial arts. you could have a member that is pretty knowledgeable about MA but is a total jerk and annoying *** outside of that. i could care less about how much you know. if you're a jerk, you're rep should reflect that. the martial arts is not limited just to combat arts. its' philosophy should bleed over to everything you do in life; the way you carry yourself in public, the manner in which you treat others, maturity, etc.
I partially agree. I do care how much people know, especially if they are portraying themselves as an expert. Showing both types of rep (plus a cumalative if you like) would let you identify both characteristics of an individual. You can tell if they are knowledgable and/or a jerk. If I see someone with an outstanding rep right now, I can't say for certain if they know alot in their art. Its a decent indicator, but not always true. I've seen some very knowledgable people who have low reps too.

Someone having a disagreement on a political topic or religious topic might receive alot of negative pings based on their personal beliefs. Should I think less of them when they state an opinion on their art of choice? They should of course present their ideas in a mature manner, but people take these religious and political things quite seriously. You can be as nice and polite as possible and still upset people.

Either way, its a moot point. I'm sure the rep system is not that easy to modify. Its just a day dream :)

MrH

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I say bring it back the way it was. If people are going to abuse it or whine about how someone had more points than they do because of possible favoritism or something, they should be disallowed to use the rep point system.

I know the moderation team is more than capable of handling abusers of the system.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sil Lum TigerLady said:
Why not just disable the privelege to leave rep for those who abuse the system?
REP REP REP REP!!!!!!!!!! EVERYBODY CONSIDER SLTL AS HAVING AROUND 48 MORE REPUTATION POINTS!!! HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

Rick Wade

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Bring it back I like it and it was fun.

However I didn't like the fact that I didn't always know who was giving or taking points.

V/R

Rick

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
I voted to bring it back with no anonymous dings/kudos. The point about it possibly fanning a flame war is true, I agree. However, only rarely was I ever dinged in a personal attack. If that were the case, and I knew who the coward was, I could take the fight to them offline (PM's and whatnot). With anon dings, my only recourse is to either heat the thread more, or go whine to an already overworked mod. Most of the time it's relatively constructive, though, and gets me back on track.

just my 2cp.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
REP REP REP REP!!!!!!!!!! EVERYBODY CONSIDER SLTL AS HAVING AROUND 48 MORE REPUTATION POINTS!!! HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!
Thank you. Thank you very much. *said in Elvis voice* :D

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sapper6 said:
i disagree. the rep system should be relative to all things discussed on MT, regardless of it's relation to martial arts. you could have a member that is pretty knowledgeable about MA but is a total jerk and annoying *** outside of that. i could care less about how much you know. if you're a jerk, you're rep should reflect that.
I like to think of rep. as reflecting posters who are knowledgeable about the arts, or at least even-handed and insightful in their discussions of them. You're discussing rep. as more of a marker of a good board-citizen.

As I cruise the board today, nearly every one of the many posts that say something like "I wish I had the rep. system now so I could give you rep. for that post!" is a social matter--someone who said something flattering to someone else, or something funny, or the like. So, I think your version is a more accurate reflection of the current reality--rep. is a barometer of social popularity. These people with high reps. may well be popular for all the right reasons, and this does serve to, in effect, guide new users to mentors on the site, but it also reinforces social vs. martial-related postings.

**Edit**: I wasn't referring to the post above. I didn't read shesulsa's post about the 48 rep. points until after I had written and posted this.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As of this posting, we have 38 votes. 36 for a return. 22 for an open system.
This poll runs for 2 more days, but if things continue as-is, I'll reactivate the system shortly.

Sapper6

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
arnisador said:
I like to think of rep. as reflecting posters who are knowledgeable about the arts, or at least even-handed and insightful in their discussions of them. You're discussing rep. as more of a marker of a good board-citizen.

of course, because as long as this forum has arenas of topic discussion not relating to martial arts, that's exactly what it's going to be. there is nothing wrong with that.

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, if you take away the rep system, then there is little reason to play nice so....

:2xBird2: :2xBird2: :2xBird2: :2xBird2: :2xBird2: :2xBird2: :2xBird2: :2xBird2:

Please bring back the rep system.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Old Fat Kenpoka said:
Well, if you take away the rep system, then there is little reason to play nice so....
It's nice to be reputable, but it's more reputable to be nice!

Or something like that...

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
arnisador said:
It's nice to be reputable, but it's more reputable to be nice!

Or something like that...
ah!
u just ruined it by saying "or something like that"
man, martial artist are wise peoples, arent they?

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ok....here's the scoop.

- I have re-enabled the system as-is.

- When I upgrade MT I will be installing several enhancements to the system.

- If anyone has a problem with rep-received, contact a member of the admin team.

- Anyone caught abusing it will get -1- warning. After that, you will lose your ability to GIVE reputation.

- We will be contacting a couple of individuals about comments in the system prior to today. Those will not be counted towards the 1 chance.

Latest Discussions