Reputation System - Yay / Ney?

Should we bring back the rep-system, and if so, how?

• NO

• Yes - As it Was

• Yes - No Anonymous Dings. Everyone can see who reped them (note will require a reset to 0)

• Yes - No Negative dings allowed

Results are only viewable after voting.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Should we bring back the rep-system, and if so, how?

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Returning to a system that seems to have been flawed is not good. I feel that anytime a rep is increased or decreased, there should be some accountability.

Being only a rough jewel when this hit the fan, it matters little to me.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bob the rep system is valuable to some members like myself, no-matter what you or anybody else does those that have no moral code about themself will abuse the system. Only allowing good rep points is not counter productive for those of us that understand negitivity, it can be a valuable tool in one's on personal growth. I for one would like to see it back but with extreme guidelines on how you can be removed from this site if you abuse the system which means somebody with authority needs to check in on it on a bi-weekly to see what is going on.

As you can see and already know this is not going to be a easy task for anybody, making people show there signature is probaly a good ideal but it will piss some people off but that may be the price for them tpo leave rep points.

I relize I'm not giving much help but I do know the value of the system you put in place for me.

Terry Lee Stoker

Eternal Beginner

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I agree that accountability should be a part of this. No more dinging because you don't like someone as opposed to actually having an issue with what they wrote.

But I only have 30 posts, so what do I know?
nixweiss.gif

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Would there be no hack to allow user names to be attached going forward, but leaving those in the past in the dark? I forsee problems if all revealed, but I also see problems with people who have had higher ratings complaining of a complete wash of their ratings. I wonder if this would cause people to go back and re-rep people for certain posts? Increase bandwidth problems like last month?

I tend to like the user name attached idea. If you have something negative to say, you should be capable of defending your opinion of need be. Would cut back systematic negative repping.

Would a section dedicated to issues with the system be useful? make it readable just by admins?

MrH

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree with Terry, make strict guidelines for those that think they can abuse the system, otherwise leave it as is. I don't believe the system was faulty, the users that abused it were.

Nothing is fool proof. Changing one thing or doing away with something will always have consequences and bring up other problems.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Karma systems always cause trouble...but it's convenient and can be fun. I have mixed feelings, but I grew very tired of all the in-thread complainst about "...and to the person who dinged me for saying..." and such. To the extent that this solves that problem, I'm happy. But if it's not anonymous, it's basically a PM system. The rep. itself will usually correlate heavily with post count. I'm not sure it's worth the effort, but I'd use it if it was here.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Put it back, the way it was, let the Mod team deal with allegations of Abuse.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Eternal Beginner said:
I agree that accountability should be a part of this. No more dinging because you don't like someone as opposed to actually having an issue with what they wrote.

But I only have 30 posts, so what do I know?
nixweiss.gif
You know a very relevant term. Accountability. I for one, agree with it. You have something to say, say it. Good or bad, stand behind it.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Technopunk said:
Put it back, the way it was, let the Mod team deal with allegations of Abuse.
Agreed.

Is there a way to disable rep for abusers?

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Couple notes:

People worry about losing past rep points. If we reset the system, it can't be helped. BUT! I believe that those who had high rep will again rise, and those with low rep will again sink.

There's not much we can do about friends boosting their buddies, but we can crack down on the other comments IF people let us know in the correct manner. It's like using the RTM system to report issues with threads. Posting "where are the mods" or "close my account" in a 400 comment thread doesn't get you action. Using the PM and RTM systems will. Same here. Someone hits you with something that bothers you, you have to let us know. Otherwise, we can't help.

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
I had to do a lot of schmoozing, palm-pressing, baby-kissing and butt-kissing to get my rep points, and darnit I want them back!

(oh, wait a minute...I never did any of those things for points.)

Well, on second thought, whatever is OK by me.

Sapper6

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
bring it back, the way it was. allow the MT moderation team to do their jobs. just because people are going to be able to see who dinged them isn't going to solve anything, it will only fan flames.

resetting everything over a couple cry-babie incidents doesn't make sense, at all.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Is there a technical reason to need a reset to 0 if the annonymity is removed? Or is it just to put everyone back on equal ground and start from scratch?

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'd like to see it back the same way it was before.

I realize that this opens up the possibility of abuse by some less than wholesome individuals, but that's something that a prune / kill / ban sequence can handle. :)

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
Is there a technical reason to need a reset to 0 if the annonymity is removed? Or is it just to put everyone back on equal ground and start from scratch?
People used the system before under the believe that it would be mostly anonymous. Reseting it "clears the slate" as it were, preserving past anonimity.

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Bob Hubbard said:
People used the system before under the believe that it would be mostly anonymous. Reseting it "clears the slate" as it were, preserving past anonimity.
No way to keep older reps anonymous? Personally, I would not care, but I'm sure there are alot that will!

Another question... I'm not sure if people will be upset about losing their reps. I personally don't care. However, would it be possible to just keep the actual numerical score, and removing the comments? As you said, people with high reps will get back up there I'm sure, but I imagine some people will be upset about losing their high standings... not too sure how many!

MrH

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bob Hubbard said:
How about retaining the scores but not where they came from?