Reputation gone?

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
arnisador said:
I think on balance you'll see less grief without it. By the way, you and I are now tied for most rep.!
How are you figuring out who has most rep? Is there a list somewhere?

As someone who has been harassed by the system, I'm not sad to see it go. I disabled my rep for a long time because of the sniping. If it comes back...that is okay. I think being able to disable one's rep is a good enough way to get rid of it.

OP
Sapper6

Sapper6

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
click Members List, and sort by rep...when it comes back. of those vertical columns, one of them used to show the reps bars. you clicked the header and it would sort by rep points.

hope that is understandable.

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sapper6 said:
click Members List, and sort by rep...when it comes back.
If/when it returns, I wonder if the old reps will still be there?:idunno:
MrH

OP
Sapper6

Sapper6

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
mrhnau said:
If/when it returns, I wonder if the old reps will still be there?:idunno:
MrH

i think it will. Admin didn't erase them, just disabled them. when/if it's re-enabled...at least i hope so. according to Bob, it's going to get a visual revamp as well, so will look neato. :)

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bob Hubbard said:
I need to lock the board, backup the database (2gigs), download the forum, configure the upgrade, upload it, then go through about 50 templates looking for problems. That last parts the ***** here.
I think I saw an episode of Star Trek like this (or was that Peabody and the wayback machine). Just do your best to keep our molecules in the right place.

*pictures leg coming out of forehead*

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I could care less whether or not it comes back. Too many people were upset getting their red points. :idunno:

Martial Tucker

Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree with a couple of ideas that have already been discussed:

1. No anonymous rep ratings
2. A comment should be required

And, I have a couple other thoughts which are based on comments I made recently in a related thread:

I think the rep ratings should be used to "reward" a particularly insightful post, or to "reprimand" a post which is "out of line" either by being tastefully inappropriate, irrelevant, factually incorrect, or just plain stupid.

I don't think neg reps should be directed towards posts that are well thought-out, and well written just because you don't agree with an opinion
stated by the writer. To me, this seems to be where the bulk of the "rep point food fights" begin.

As I have stated in earlier posts, I am active here at MT and on one other MA forum. Routine observation of the two forums indicates to me that MT
has a much higher % of threads devoted to topics of either a political or religious nature. Let me stress that I have no problem with that. Any exchange of ideas and opinions in a controlled forum such as this is healthy and good. But politics and religion are (usually) much more incendiary areas of discussion than the typical MA discussion. As such, I'm guessing that, as stated above, here's where most of the rep point abuse centers.

Therefore, I would submit for consideration (in addition to the 2 mentioned suggestions above) the idea of not enabling/allowing rep points for threads that are in the "Study" or "Locker Room" areas of the forum. I think it would help eliminate much of the sniping, and possibly entice more people to post their honest opinions on the more emotionally-charged topics without fear of "rep point reprisals"

Again, I think rep points should be used to denote "value added", NOT to "ding and run" against someone just because they have a different opinion.

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Martial Tucker said:
Therefore, I would submit for consideration (in addition to the 2 mentioned suggestions above) the idea of not enabling/allowing rep points for threads that are in the "Study" or "Locker Room" areas of the forum. I think it would help eliminate much of the sniping, and possibly entice more people to post their honest opinions on the more emotionally-charged topics without fear of "rep point reprisals"
How about this as an alternative... let rep values count less in non-martial areas. Say 1/2 value? 1/5? I think its good that people can still rate someones post for a non-martial topic, and I think the majority of people here are mature enough to handle it. There are probably a handful of trouble makers, and forcing a name would help ease the problems. It would take the difficulty of tracking repeat offenders from the moderators to users. However, I could forsee new posts sounding something like this "Mr X is just out to get me! waaaaaah!". I also like your idea of forcing a comment.

What might be useful is forcing user names to be attached to ratings. Create a forum where anyone can post but only admins/moderators can read (including titles of posts). That way, you have a convenient method for admins to monitor potential problems and correlate possible abusers. Trouble makers would keep popping up, and can be dealt with accordingly. People can post regarding reps and potential abuse of systems (inflated reps too, since some are concerned about that).

MrH

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sapper6 said:
i think it will. Admin didn't erase them, just disabled them. when/if it's re-enabled...at least i hope so.
If they come back and now have the commenter's name, some people who thought that they were leaving anonymous thoughts will suddenly be unveiled...it could cause trouble!

Of course, using Ignore person-by-person would reveal the identity beforehand, unless it was Staff (They Who Must Not Be Ignored). I never resorted to this tedious procedure, but I know that some have.

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
arnisador said:
If they come back and now have the commenter's name, some people who thought that they were leaving anonymous thoughts will suddenly be unveiled...it could cause trouble!

Of course, using Ignore person-by-person would reveal the identity beforehand, unless it was Staff (They Who Must Not Be Ignored). I never resorted to this tedious procedure, but I know that some have.
Taking away the anonimity will be troublesome! I agree with that! Some people just take this so seriously though... Maybe the wise decision will be to just reveal names going forward. let the other ones stay in the shadows.

MrH

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Y'all have alot of good ideas, unfortunately the system, even with all the tweaks isn't that versitile.

In the event we "go public" I'll most likely have to reset the system to protect the anonimity of previous senders.

I'll be putting a poll up shortly about how to structure it if/when it returns.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Martial Tucker said:
I think the rep ratings should be used to "reward" a particularly insightful post, or to "reprimand" a post which is "out of line" either by being tastefully inappropriate, irrelevant, factually incorrect, or just plain stupid.

I don't think neg reps should be directed towards posts that are well thought-out, and well written just because you don't agree with an opinion
stated by the writer. To me, this seems to be where the bulk of the "rep point food fights" begin.
I agree all around. The rep. should be for the post, not the poster, and should reflect its contribution to the conversation, not whether one agrees or disagrees--that's what the board itself is for!

Of course, enforcing this is impossible.

As I have stated in earlier posts, I am active here at MT and on one other MA forum. Routine observation of the two forums indicates to me that MT has a much higher % of threads devoted to topics of either a political or religious nature.
Yes, similar to rec.martial-arts, which bills itself as a place for discussions by martial artists rather than a place for discussion of martial arts. It makes some sense. In a sidebar to a review of the upcoming movie "Proof," a mathematician spoke about the in-jokes used by mathematicians and the technical language that filters into even political discussions among them (orthogonal, linearly independent, Lebesgue almost everywhere, etc.). It's similar here. I can use a Miyamoto Musashi reference in The Study and expect people to get it. A colleague tried that here at work a few weeks ago and only I and one another person--his karate student!--understood it.

The social nature of the site draws people in and keeps them coming. That's good, but it dilutes the percentage of the site and its resources that are dedicated to the martial arts.

Again, I think rep points should be used to denote "value added", NOT to "ding and run" against someone just because they have a different opinion.
But, some people do make posts that contain bad info. or are otherwise objectionable. There are times where neg. rep. is appropriate.

One could also not report anything to the user but the point total. That'd be a barometer of popularity without any way to know who did it, what post it was attached to, etc. Less fun but less fights.

There's no winning.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bob Hubbard said:
In the event we "go public" I'll most likely have to reset the system to protect the anonimity of previous senders.
I think this is the fairest thing to do.

I don't know how versatile the system is...I wonder if making everyone's "vote" count the same is a better system. I was giving (or taking) a large number of points each time under the old system...I'm not sure that that was for the best. I know that almost every time I gave a ding I would've liked to have made it for a single point to just "send a message" rather than taking away tens of points as I did.

Definitely, I think the General Talk areas should be rep.-immune if possible...though I've had people seek out random posts of mine to hit with neg. rep. just because they wanted to "get" me for some perceived wrong. (Maybe that perception was correct, of course.) You can't control everything. I should've been petitioning to have dings removed! Can I get a stack of Appeal forms? :D

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's a shame the thought of everyone acting in a mature and responsible manner didn't work.

There is no way to tweak the system into a perfect design, simply because everyone's opinion of what a perfect design is, varies. Ultimately, it will always require a certain degree of personal merit. There's just no getting around it.

There have been reasons mentioned above that I agree with as to why I think the rep system can be useful. If people don't care for it they can, and do, disable it.
*I think the idea of having to sign + or - rep points is a good idea. The feedback, even if negative, can and should be presented in a positive manner.
*People aren't so quick to attack other people when they have to face them.
*If a new design comes out and it doesn't seem to have improved anything, it can be changed. Hey, Rome wasn't built in a day and we all saw how long it DIDN'T take Bob to pull it. Not trying to make extra work for Bob, just trying point out that if it gets to be more trouble than it's worth, it's may get gone permanently and next time I doubt he's going to ask anyone's opinion. I for one, would hate to see that.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Now that it's back I'm trying to remember who it was I wanted to rep. while the system was missing...

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
arnisador said:
Now that it's back I'm trying to remember who it was I wanted to rep. while the system was missing...
Oh, just start dealing it out, Jeff - doesn't hurt too much! :ultracool

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Manure, Jeff. :whip: Manure! Now, go fertilize!!!

Latest Discussions