Reputation gone?

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Negative anonymous rep comments I think do more harm than good. Many times over I've read posts that temporarily hijacked threads from people who were quite disturbed by things that they were dinged for, but mostly they were disturbed by immature comments that were left anonymously. Some people take it very seriously, and allow it to hurt their feelings. I've seen members leave over it. In some cases negative anonymous rep can be the equivalent of nasty comments made from behind a mask. I think it’s cowardly and see no real good in it. Some people say things that I believe they would never consider saying if they had to sign their names. Why? I think it's because they would be embarrassed to admit to the comments, and therefore I feel wouldn't otherwise say it. I prefer constructive criticism over negativity. It's all in how you choose to present it. Signing your name forces you to burn some brain cells in the formulation of your comment, and this might even lead to a better understanding of each other's views, because your message could at least be debated in private.

So my recommendation:

I think negative rep without a comment would be more acceptable as an anonymous form of showing disapproval. If you want to comment negatively your name should automatically appear.

Positive rep should stay as is.

Arnisdor I see what you are saying about it duplicating the PM system, but I have to say that I think PMs are more personal, and time consuming, and I rarely use them. I like the idea of leaving notes of acknowledgement/ encouragement to people without having to then take the time to answer PMs. We are all busy, and if I had to use the system in that way I'd be less likely to drop the note. I also think its cool seeing all the nice comments from people in one place and you couldn't do that without opening all those PMs. one at a time using that method. It's seems like too much work to me.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bob Hubbard said:
The idea of a "rep moderator" while sound, doesn't work when you look at the way the system works. Basically, unless someone complains, we don't know theres a problem. Theres no simple "view all rep" function.
Probably wouldn't be too hard to write a php script and SQL query to "Show all"... never played with VBulletin's code though...

oh crap... my geek came out... :(

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bob Hubbard said:
The idea of a "rep moderator" while sound, doesn't work when you look at the way the system works. Basically, unless someone complains, we don't know theres a problem. Theres no simple "view all rep" function. There is also the simple problem that we tend to stumble across the complaints moreso than receive them. Despite over a hundred postings on how to bring rep-concerns to us, people continue to bury them in the middle of threads, disrupting those threads, and generating little "rep wars" as people sling dings at each other. I suppose we could start suspending everyone who does that, or issue warnings, but the paperwork, even in an electronic way, would be a bigger headache. It just takes 1 person peeing in the punchbowl to ruin a party. My mission, stop the piddler.

I've updated BuffaloIT to vB3.5 and activated the rep system there, along with a few add-ins. I'll be doing more digging, and experimenting this week. IF! all goes well, when I upgrade MT to 3.5 I will bring the rep-system back.

If the rep moderator was implemented then people I suppose would probably complain even more, lol but at least it would be brought out and to the attention of the moderator who would then investigate and decide a proper course. If the rules were clear as to what would happen under those circumstances, I think that would deter some of the bad rep hits and stop some of the pissing matches. I understand the electronic paper work headache but stopping the piddler by taking the option away from the majority just seems wrong. Reading the thread, I get the impression that the majority seem to think that the good of the rep system far outweighs the bad.

Hope you change your mind and bring it back.

pete

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
bob,

bring back the rep points so i can ding everyone in thread for taking it so seriously~

too busy training to give a hoot

pete.

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
pete said:
bob,

bring back the rep points so i can ding everyone in thread for taking it so seriously~

too busy training to give a hoot

pete.
Pete,
You'll have to ding yerself then too fer even commentin' here:boing2:

MJ :lol:

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
arnisador said:
By the way, you and I are now tied for most rep.!
Not really - you have more posts, so that lends more reputation to you, but ... that's okay. :)
Johnathon Randall said:
When I first started on MT, those green dots let me know who to pay REAL attention to.
See, I kinda thought this was what reputation was all about and agree. I took note of folks' reputation and read their posts and made my own judgements, looked for patterns. When I thought someone displayed consistent positive contribution, I repped them. When folks were repeatedly or markedly out of line, I dinged them.

I'll admit there have been two times when people dinged me just to essentially and electronically flip me off and the purpose wasn't EVEN related to the post they chose to ding and petitioned to have them removed on principle, which the staff so very nicely did.

I'd have to say mandatory signing and lack of comment would be an improvement on the previous system.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've found several hacks and add-ins. I'm testing the system out on buffaloit.com
Once I update MT to vb 3.5, I'll reenable the system with the hacks.
- See who you gave rep to
- Expanded graphics "The dark green pips are followed by light green pips, which are then followed by 'golden' pips. When the limit these can display is reached, the display is prefixed by a golden Star, and started again. If your reputation is zero then the neutral grey pip is displayed. Negative reputations are displayed in a similar manner using light and dark red pips and stars."
- Other tweaks as I test them.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That sounds fun and interesting, Bob. neato

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bob Hubbard said:
I've found several hacks and add-ins. I'm testing the system out on buffaloit.com
- Expanded graphics "The dark green pips are followed by light green pips, which are then followed by 'golden' pips. When the limit these can display is reached, the display is prefixed by a golden Star, and started again. If your reputation is zero then the neutral grey pip is displayed. Negative reputations are displayed in a similar manner using light and dark red pips and stars."

Sounds good Bob. Will we all be starting from ground zero or will it continue from where we were?

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Note: MT is going next to last in my upgradathon. It's got the most modifications, so has the highest chance of going sour. I did 3 boards tonight, have 4 more including MT to go.

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bob Hubbard said:
Note: MT is going next to last in my upgradathon. It's got the most modifications, so has the highest chance of going sour. I did 3 boards tonight, have 4 more including MT to go.
Gotta love upgrades will the site be down during the upgrade? Good luck with it. I hope it all goes smoothly.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Site will be down for at least a few hours. I need to lock the board, backup the database (2gigs), download the forum, configure the upgrade, upload it, then go through about 50 templates looking for problems. That last parts the ***** here. I'm aiming for mid week. I am so far loving the new plug-in system though, added about 10 toys to buffit tonite with no problems! :D

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
oh yeah. As easy as the Dunkirk evacuation.......just with a few less stutka's.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bob Hubbard said:
Sounds like a lot of work. Thanks.

Perhaps you could consider disabling reputation in the political forums as that seems to be where most of the problems have come from?

It'll be nice to be able to send comments to members again, without resorting to PM's, via the Rep. function. That part I do miss. I also really like to do a "Welcome to MT" to new members when they post something even half decent.

Also, please, please consider having one of the positive rep. labels reference PUGS. It would mean so much to me... How about "... has a reputation beyond repute, and is as beautiful, wise and majestic as a Pug dog". If that is not possible, than perhaps in the negative rep. area - "... is a pug dropping"?

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
alright... no pugs, they are silly looking dogs and in no way positive :p

Buffaloit just got it's system, which gives you a breakdown of:
thread date poster comment

It looks good and will get rid of annonymous dings, so I'd say go for it.

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Bob Hubbard said:
The Reputation system has been temporarily disabled due to a few bad apples abusing it. While most of our members used it responsibly and as intended, a few have been using it to insult, demean, belittle and otherwise abuse it.

In addition to the abuse, the constant complaints, several bordering on whining from a few individuals guilty of the same abuse they complain about has gotten tiring.

As a result, I have taken that feature off line while I consider options.

They are:
- Remove the system completely
- Force commenter ID (meaning your name will be visible)
- Allow only Positive Rep.
- Allow anyone positive rep, but only supporting members or above can neg-rep.
- Disallowing comments all together. Just + or -

The system was intended to be something fun, a nice way to reward those who contribute and nudge those who don't. Instead, it's been a headache. I will be looking into the matter this week and seeing what I can do to possibly return this feature to use, while minimizing abuse and headaches.

Thank you.
I must say I like any of your ideas other than removing the system completely. But, I myself have been guilty of abusing it in past months so I don't exactly have room to talk. I would be understanding and supportive of your choice if you do in fact remove it.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
alright... no pugs, they are silly looking dogs and in no way positive :p

It looks good and will get rid of annonymous dings, so I'd say go for it.
Sir, the moment it comes back up - you're getting dinged, and it won't be anonymous, neither! You got no right to diss pugs. No right whatsoever. (humour).

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Remove the system completely
- Force commenter ID (meaning your name will be visible)
- Allow only Positive Rep.
- Allow anyone positive rep, but only supporting members or above can neg-rep.
- Disallowing comments all together. Just + or -
My two bits on it...
Remove the system... aww no man... keep it for sure but it could use tweaking.
Force commenter ID... force is a strong word but... lets say... automatic, because it should be ID'ed if you're going to say something about someone to them, they have the right to know who you are.
Allow only Pos. Reps... nooo, because not everyone is going to agree with everything everyone else is going to say.... neg reps (can) help as long as the reason is constructive and not stuff like "that was stupid".
Allow anyone pos. rep? Only supporting can neg... umm... not fair is the only thing that comes to mind... but maybe this does have merit after all...
Disallowing comments altogether... well when I get a neg rep I want to know WHY... hell I'd like to know why I got a positive one... it helps... it lets me know what I'm doing wrong/right...

Just my two bits on the whole thing...
:asian:

bcbernam777

Brown Belt
Reaction score
This may sound a bit harsh but if they have been abusing it, give them one more chance, if they screw around again with it, lock them out of posting for a period until they see the error of their ways, if they persist after that, ban them.

Latest Discussions