Rep System

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Hey guys! Did you know that there's a rep system here on Martial Talk??!!?? It only took me 6 months to find it! How embarassing!!!

Anyway, thanks to everyone who has contributed to my little green blips, and now that I know that I can return the favor, I will endeavor to do so. I thought that the "thanks" system was the same thing. Sheesh. Kids and toys, I tell ya! :) I've read so many quality posts over the months, I'm regret that I was ignorant of this as I would have liked to have given credit where due.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:D. Worry not, good sir - you are not alone in having taken some time to find out that the Rep System existed. I can't recall how long it was but I know it took me quite a while :eek:.

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
i'm still getting the hang of it too. i don't know how many grey blips i handed out before i figured out it wasn't adding up for those folks.

jf

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
i'm still getting the hang of it too. i don't know how many grey blips i handed out before i figured out it wasn't adding up for those folks.

jf
Take advantage of the comments section when you send someone some rep. (Or ding 'em...) It'll allow you to tell them why you liked their post. (And, the convention here on MT is to sign your rep with your username. It's not mandatory, it's just the common practice, and it lets the person know who sent 'em the rep.)

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you need to practice, feel free to throw some rep my way... :lol:

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey guys! Did you know that there's a rep system here on Martial Talk??!!?? It only took me 6 months to find it! How embarassing!!!

Anyway, thanks to everyone who has contributed to my little green blips, and now that I know that I can return the favor, I will endeavor to do so. I thought that the "thanks" system was the same thing. Sheesh. Kids and toys, I tell ya! :) I've read so many quality posts over the months, I'm regret that I was ignorant of this as I would have liked to have given credit where due.

There are rules on how often you can give a person rep either positive or negative. But you can always go back and give older (recent) posts rep as you see fit. So, if you find an older post in a thread that is bumped or you remember feel free to give the appropriate rep.

Thanks

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Dudes, I don't even know what is going on with the rep. system, or the thank you system. Just thanked someone here for the 1st time to see what would happen... not sure what it does really...

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I'll thank you for the post to get you to 667. Just remember you owe me your soul. :)

For the rest, thanks for the info, guys. Now who can tell me how to beef up my rep power? I need to he-man up.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Dudes, I don't even know what is going on with the rep. system, or the thank you system. Just thanked someone here for the 1st time to see what would happen... not sure what it does really...
"Thanks" is there to kind of serve as "rep lite" for good posts that maybe you don't want to rep.. and to help cut down on the "Yeah, I agree!" or "You're right!" type of posts that just don't move a thread along.

Y'know... there's a place to find answers to all of these sorts of questions... Check the sticky posts at the top of the support forum. You'll see one dedicated to the rep system! You can also check the FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) area; see HERE and HERE.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm hoping that this is not going to be a repeat of that silly little thread we had lots of fun on... :wink2:
(still can't find the original thread *pouts*)

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm hoping that this is not going to be a repeat of that silly little thread we had lots of fun on... :wink2:
(still can't find the original thread *pouts*)
I find it repulsive that you think it would happen in this thread.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
But that's hardly a call for repudiation my friend...

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Y'know... there's a place to find answers to all of these sorts of questions... Check the sticky posts at the top of the support forum. You'll see one dedicated to the rep system! You can also check the FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) area; see HERE and HERE.

Yea... about that...
I got that regarding the rep changes, but didn't really know what was up with the 'thanks' feature; and quite frankly, going through the pages worth of information on all the new features is something not high on the priority list for me, given the limited valuable time I have. But thanks, you answered what I was curious about! :)

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
short version:
Rep system lets you give a positive or negative rating, along with an optional message.
comments must comply with site rules.
negative comments should be signed as a courtesy, but it isn't required.
limits and restrictions apply on how much rep you can give out each day
rep is private

thanks system lets you thank someone for a valuable post (often just one you appreciate or like) but has few restrictions otherwise. Thanks are public

Bout it. :)

There is a no-thanks add in also but it was decided not to install it.