Release: Indianapolis Martial Arts Instructor Takes "The Ultimate Black Belt Test."

Discussion in 'The NewsRoom' started by Bob Hubbard, Jan 2, 2005.

1. Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard Retired

• MartialTalk Mentor
    • Founding Member
    • LifeTime Supporting Member
    • Martial Talk Alumni

Indianapolis Martial Arts Instructor Takes Prepares to Promote to 5th Dan through "The Ultimate Black Belt Test."

James Theros, owner of Level 10 Martial Arts College, will be taking a 13-month long test to promote to his 5th degree black belt in Tae Kwon Do, Kung Fu, and Hapkido

(PRWEB) December 19, 2004 -- Indianapolis Martial Arts instructor, James Theros, is embarking on a special journey in the year 2005. He is in the pursuit of his 5th Degree black belt, an achievement that will have been 28 years in the making.

Mr. Theros, owner of Indianapolis' "Level 10 Martial Arts College" located on Indy's South Side since 1995 says that this will be the most difficult task he has ever undertaken.

"I'm required to do 15 minutes of meditation 7 days a week for 13 months straight. On top of that I have to mend 3 relationships or right 3 wrongs that I have done in my life."

Those two things alone would probably send most hopefuls packing in despair, but not Theros. He says he is looking forward to the challenge for many reasons.

"I want to test myself again. I want to see just what this body and mind can accomplish at this stage in my life." I'm 36 this year which is retirement age for most guys who do what I do as a profession," says Theros.

"I also look at this as an opportunity to display to my students that anything is possible if you just believe in yourself and get out there and be willing to fall down a few times. I want to be able to demonstrate that leaders lead by example."

The Ultimate Black Belt Test (www.ultimateblackbelttest.com) is just that. It is the most demanding black belt test there is in the world of Martial Arts, Karate, Tae Kwon Do, Hapkido, Kung Fu, etc...

There are only 30 candidates allowed to participate throughout the entire world each year and this year James is one of them.

The test is one that is customized to each participant, based on what Martial Arts background he or she has. There are, however a few things that will be congruent with each of the participants.

These include the following:
    52,000 push ups and crunches by completion date, 1000 rounds of sparring (sport fighting), 20 hours of boxing practice with a certified coach, reality-based self-defense training, indonesian weaponry training in Kali or Escrima (based on the use of either a single or double stick or knife), 1000 repetitions of their individualized testing requirements (including 10 public performances of those requirements).

And that is only the physical side of things. Next, the participants will have to read a minimum of 12 books on philosophy, motivation or management (something that James Theros has already met the qualifactions for many times over, as he usually reads a book each week).

They will also be required to participate in Anthony Robbins 30-day Program on personal development, participate in the "Body for Life" program (which includes daily exercise 6 days per week and a regimented diet program as well).

Probably one of the most unique things about the test is that each participant will have to undergo 3 days of "empathy training," in which they will have to be in a wheel chair for an entire day, wear a blind fold for an entire day and go 24 hours without speaking.

Each participant must also perform and log a minimum of 1,000 acts of kindness and be responsible for 50,000 such acts throughout their community.

The participants must also accomplish 10 personal victories in their lives. Theros will attempt to accomplish one of them by taking a 10 day trip to the orient this year.

In addition to all of that, the participants will fly out to various locations 3 times to undertake special tasks that are assigned. One of those tasks will be building a home for a needy family out of recycled material that will be considered a "work of art."

The test is a long and grueling one but when the participants have finished, they will have basicaly transformed themselves physically, mentally and spiritually in a way that nothing else could.

James is nervous and excited about beginning the task ahead of him. "I made the committment by paying a non-refundable fee of $1500 and then have committed to having $300 taken out of my checking account each month for this program. I believe that when a person makes a committment both mentally, orally, and monetarily, he will be much more likely to achieve his goal. I shall not fail."

For more information on James Theros or Level 10 Martial Arts College log onto: www.level10martialarts.com
    or call 782-8000.

# # #

2. Zepp

Zepp Master of Arts

The woods of Marin County, California, USA
    Anyone who meets those requirements certainly deserves the title of black belt, and more. But I can't help but wonder if the money they pay to be part of this is worth it. :idunno: At the end of the 13 months they've spent at least $5400, not counting whatever else it may have cost them to accomplish their "personal victories" and "acts of kindness."

3. The Kai

The Kai Master of Arts

Marketing Scam, Marketing Scam!!!!
    From the same scamers tyhat brought you NAPMA
    Pay up and then talk it up
    Todd

4. Tgace

Tgace Grandmaster

My thoughts exactly...nothing here a person couldnt do locally, personally and much of it free of charge.You would loose the bragging rights though.

5. Simon Curran

Simon Curran 2nd Black Belt

I've never experienced a black belt test myself, but if and when the time comes, I don't plan on giving away 13 months of my life (some of us have to work for a living) and pay through the nose just for the privalege.

6. OUMoose

OUMoose Trying to find my place

Could I just do all the nice things, have one of you guys watch, and order a black belt from century? :) Would be ALOT cheaper. :D

Sounds like a scam to me as well, though at least a good-intentioned one.

7. Erik

Erik Guest

What's any of this have to do with fighting skills?

8. CanuckMA

CanuckMA Master of Arts

You have to fight the urge that tells you NOT to spend the money.

9. hardheadjarhead

hardheadjarhead Senior Master

Gee...$5,400 for a fifth dan.

He works the Tony Robbins program, and mends relationships. He'd spend a lot less on therapy. It'd cost about half that.

Regards,

Steve

10. The Kai

The Kai Master of Arts

This is the master mind of Napma and all the other "Marketing companies". The Black Belt is not about fighting skill (Cus, after all that would be demonstrable skill). Instead Black Belt is this vaguely defined warm, fuzzy, feel good experience that any one can do in under 15 months without devoted to much time(but plenty od ca$h) too.
    Ulimate Black Belt test is anything Ultinmate or Black Belt, it is however, an fairly accurate predictor how much cr*p you can eat and still smile.

:)
    Todd

11. Dr. Kenpo

Dr. Kenpo Blue Belt

I would like for them to define, what is the "ultimate?"

12. shesulsa

shesulsa Columbia Martial Arts Academy

• MartialTalk Mentor
    • LifeTime Supporting Member
    • Martial Talk Alumni
    Okey dokey, this breaks down into these categories:

Personal goal setting
    physical goal setting
    pushing your limits
    allowing brainwashing techniques so you can better your life (according to somebody else)
    recognizing the needs of others
    helping fulfill the needs of others
    self-led education
    fighting
    making the world a better place

All nice things. Can't we just include these in our requirement lists anyway? I don't need Tony Robbins to tell me I'm a better person or better able to face the world for the work I've done on myself, nor where my needs lie.

I suppose bragging rights might be nice, but with all these reality shows, there are fewer and fewer names that will be recognized for hitting a benchmark. There will even be fewer and fewer names recognized for the good they do the world (though I hope that will deter no one).

Interesting parameters, though. I'd like the camping trip in Tahoe! Crap, that would be a vacation for me!

13. Deaf

Deaf Green Belt

I just can't believe that any sane person would actually do this! It is an absolute marketing scam!

Pity the fool.

14. Simon Curran

Fool being the operative word in that sentence...

15. The Prof

The Prof Guest

Hi,

Different strokes for different folks, but it does sound pretty ridiculous. Oh well, it doesn't make him a bad person, just a person who spent a hell of a lot of money. I hope for him it's worth it.

The Prof

16. The Prof

The Prof Guest

You hit the nail right on the head. It has absolutelyt squat ti di witgh fighting skills.

The Prof

17. Sam

Sam Senior Master

while making you a good person if you can do all that...
    I don't think it makes you a black belt.

18. still learning

still learning Senior Master

Hello, I agree with most of you. This test is all about money in someone's pocket. If you are not a good person by the time you reach black belt than your teacher is wrong about your promotions. The higher rank person should always be helping others become a better person all the time and set high standards for himself and set the examples for others to follow.

This test sounds a little crazy for me, I would change schools and start all over. I remember my first Shotokan Sensi say for the black belt test , I would have to fight 7 other black belts(full contact) in a round robin of 2 minute rounds than buy beer and food after the test. You don't need to win, the goal is not to quit. Lucky he give me another test instead. The Sensi quit training students and that was the end of my Karate schooling. ......just my thoughts.....Aloha

19. The Kai

The Kai Master of Arts

It si the McDojo soft selling and sell out of the martial arts. Being good is ranked by what programs are tied into Napam. Little Johhy can't fight his way out of a paper bag? Yea, but he calls everyone sir! It is alot easier to teach a shallow type of courtesy than the ma's. sooner or later what do we sell?

Todd

20. Simon Curran

Sounds like a painful but rewarding testing procedure, I would go for buying the beers...