Relationship between Modern Arnis and Balintawak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mao

Black Belt
Reaction score
Rob,
For me, it's not about who new Remy the bestest for the longest. It's more about seeing an accurate representation of modern arnis. One persons view, obviously, may not be the next persons view, or experience. When you ask a question about modern arnis, you're bound to get varying opinions, some stronger than others.

Now Tapi – Tapi is a great program in Modern Arnis, but one should understand that it is watered down Balintawak.

I don't agree with this. First, I don't think that anyone who has heard "Remy created tapi tapi to beat balintawak" automatically thinks that they can beat a balintawak player, and I am staying with Tims stick specific post. Anyone can beat anyone else on a given day. Everyone has good days and bad days.
I don't like the sound of the statement that modern arnis is watered down balintawak. IT makes modern arnis sound somehow inferior to balintawak. I admit that I don't know balintawak, so I am using the previous balintawak players posts as the example. It has been stated that there are things that the two systems do that the other does not i.e. grabbing the other persons stick. Obviously this has great advantages such as controlling their stick/arm and body if you understand ballance, off ballancing and connection with the other persons body. Some would say that it is a disadvantage. I say that it depends on the situation.
I respect Tims perspective. I just don't think that anyone can say that one is necessarily better than the other. I don't think Tim is saying that. That is my thought.
At the end of the day, everyone has an opinion.
I think Tim did a decent job of being fair to both styles, except for some of the wording.

My take on Modern Arnis vs. Balintawak

It’s very hard to compare these two systems. In the case of Modern Arnis it is an all encompassing art, where in Balintawak’s primary purpose is stick dueling.

This pretty much sums it up. Bravo.

Dan McConnell

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks,

Rob, Dan, Tim, Paul and Rich while it is very hard to have any
understanding about any art over the internet I think that all
of you have been pretty clear on your understanding of
Balintawak! Sounds like you are all very blessed to be training
with a legend like Manong Ted! My good friend Ian also trains
with Manong Ted and speaks very highly of him! When Rich is
up in October maybe he can show me a little snippet of Balintawak!

Rob please continue posting every Forum needs good people to
keep it going!

Brian

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Mr. McConnell,

For some reason I cannot access my PM's at this time, but I will reply to you later tonight when the technical issue resolves itself.

Thanks again,

Paul Janulis

Datu Tim Hartman

Senior Master
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I’m going to risk sounding like a prick here. I’m not going to mix words on this thread. Dan Mc has known me long enough to know this.

Mao said:
First, I don't think that anyone who has heard "Remy created Tapi Tapi to beat Balintawak" automatically thinks that they can beat a Balintawak player,
First of all, I’m not referring to anyone posting on this thread. Several of us whom are from the Remy-Buot lineage have heard this in our travels and it frustrates us. That was my bad. I’m just blowing off steam.

Everyone has good days and bad days.
We’re on the same page.

I don't like the sound of the statement that modern Arnis is watered down Balintawak.
I never said that.
“Tapi – Tapi is a great program in Modern Arnis, but one should understand that it is watered down Balintawak.” Tapi – Tapi is not Modern Arnis, it’s a part of it.

IT makes modern Arnis sound somehow inferior to Balintawak
I was referring to the origins of the technique. I also said that Remy’s method allowed him to spread the art easier.

I admit that I don't know Balintawak,
Which means you’re not qualified to compare the two?

so I am using the previous Balintawak player’s posts as the example.
I think that Brian hit the nail on the head with the following!
Brian R. VanCise said:
it is very hard to have any
understanding about any art over the internet

I just don't think that anyone can say that one is necessarily better than the other. I don't think Tim is saying that.
So what’s the point?

I think Tim did a decent job of being fair to both styles, except for some of the wording.
It’s called being dyslexic.

Like I said nothing personal, I’m just not mixing words. That and the fact I just finished the third day of my kid’s summer camp and I’m might be a little cranky. 16 of them from 8:30am – 3:30pm, ages 5 – 12. Either I like my job, I’m masochistic, or a little of both!?!
:asian:

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
=============
Mod. Note.
Please, keep the conversation polite and respectful.

-Palusut
-MT Moderator-

Datu Tim Hartman

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mao said:
I wasn't refering to where the word were or spelling, I was refering to what you said, which is what my response was about.
I understand your crankiness. I hope your day gets better.
Dan Mc.

The camp ends on Friday, then I get some rest.

FYI - Dyslexia also effects sentence structure.

OP
T

Toasty

Green Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
HOLY CRAP!!!?

What the hell happened here?

It was just a question on how things differ - not which is better than the other.

I have exactly zero training in Modern Arnis, nor would I ever want to now - it appears that no matter what - unless you are a "Master of Tapi-Tapi" {that just sounds silly by the way} or a "Datu" - what ever you have to say doesnt have any validity, so I was asking about any similarities and/or differences that may apply to the art I study.

Oh yeah, on that "peer" thing - lighten up fellas, all we we do is swing some sticks around...
That does not make you a better anything...

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Brian R. VanCise said:
Thanks,

Rob, Dan, Tim, Paul and Rich while it is very hard to have any
understanding about any art over the internet I think that all
of you have been pretty clear on your understanding of
Balintawak! Brian

Brian,
Sorry to say but you can't include me in the above group. Their understanding of balintawak FAR surpasses mine. I have only had a handful of lessons wiht Manong Ted and while his teaching has had a profound effect on my Modern Arnis, what I don't understand about balintawak could fill a book bigger than those I write.

Yours,
Dan

OP
T

Toasty

Green Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
... oh yeah, And Now I Am Done with this.

Thanks for the very few insightful posts - and as for the other crap...

Please lock this thread before anybody else has catches a case of "internet diarrhea..."

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm sorry Dan,

Your insight on Balintawak was much appreciated as well!
I am just interested because I have seen some Balintawak!
I do like how you laid out Manong Ted's approach to teaching and I
understand it is probably just one example! I am curious
also if the sparring in Balintawak is always controlled or if
there is ever a true exchange with contact allowed! I I will say
that the gentlementhat I know that practice Modern Arnis/Balintawak
are very good at what they do!

Brian R. VanCise

Datu Tim Hartman

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Brian R. VanCise said:
Thanks,

Rob, Dan, Tim, Paul and Rich while it is very hard to have any understanding about any art over the internet I think that all of you have been pretty clear on your understanding of Balintawak! Sounds like you are all very blessed to be training with a legend like Manong Ted! My good friend Ian also trains with Manong Ted and speaks very highly of him! When Rich is up in October maybe he can show me a little snippet of Balintawak!

Rob please continue posting every Forum needs good people to keep it going!

Brian

Yes-
we are very luckly to have met Manong Buot. The only down side is my 9 hour round trip to train with him.

:drinkbeer

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Datu Puti said:
Yes-
we are very luckly to have met Manong Buot. The only down side is my 9 hour round trip to train with him.

:drinkbeer
Hell, Tim. Your down side is far better than my down side. :miffer: But yes, we are both very lucky to have met Manong Ted. If I never did publicly, here's my thanks for telling me about him in the first place and public thanks to Jaye Spiro for sponsoring me to train with him.

Yours,
Dan

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Are we entering a "Martial Talk Throwdown" moment like bullshido does?

Datu Tim Hartman

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Dan Anderson said:
Hell, Tim. Your down side is far better than my down side. :miffer: But yes, we are both very lucky to have met Manong Ted. If I never did publicly, here's my thanks for telling me about him in the first place and public thanks to Jaye Spiro for sponsoring me to train with him.

Yours,
Dan

You're welcome Dan.

:asian:

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Tim, Dan

9 hours, now for good training that is nothing! (Just Kidding)
In my experience if you find something that works for you
and your enjoy it, even traveling around the world is just
a small sacrifice! It certainly speaks volumes for Manong Ted
that you guys travel so far!

Brian R. VanCise

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Dan Anderson,

I am not going to be a jerk and pull a senior card in Balintawak. I think that your opinion has validity for what it is, and I thank you for the contribution. :asian:

McConnell,

Don't bring guys like Mr. Gauss or Mr. Smith into an arguement that is not theirs. I see that you have been hanging around Worden a little too long; where you USE your friends by including them in arguements that they are not involved in to bolster your stance. I don't have any disrespect for them, so stop bringing up stuff that was siad and resolved years ago.

The exact problem is that you feel the need to "prove" that other people are senior to me. There are a lot of people senior to me in time in, in age, and in various skills. But that doesn't give anyone the right to disrespect or slam me without recourse. That is "martialcult" B.S. that I refuse to put up with.

Respect is earned, not to be expected because you feel your someones "senior." If you wanted more respect, you should have given it. PMing me and saying that you mean "no malice" and then taking shots at me and my experience on a forum doesn't warrent respect. You got what you deserved.

Lastly, and this is to everyone: My phone line is always open to resolve issues in a professional matter; this includes Datu Worden, Guro McConnell, and whoever else. But, I am obviously not going to put up with slander and attacks on a public forum. One cannot expect to have a professional private exchange and then expect to be able to slam someone publically. One can't have it both ways.

Paul Janulis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions