Regaining flexibility

Suikoden

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi guys,

new to the forum and wanted to ask a question about returning to the more flourishing aspects of martial arts.

I started Muay Thai when I was a lot younger (17) and I did it for a number of years to a high level. I was able to do the splits and all the jumping spinning stuff.

I have kept up the general practising. So punches and roundhouses, knees and elbows. But, because I wasn’t going to training anymore and didn’t have the space to do the jumping stuff, the more technical stuff fell away.

I also didn’t keep up the splits and can no longer do them obviously.

So, I am now 36 and still fit and healthy. But my flexibility has been lost somewhat. If, for example, I try to extend my leg out to do a side kick higher than about 100 degrees, then my inner groin/thighs have an acute pain - not sure how to describe it. And Hook kicks are a no no. Anyway, I’m sure if I did a jumping spinning anything it would tear, rip and generally cause myself a mischief.

My question is what can I do to slacken wherever needs slackening, and get back into that side of Muay Thai. I hope it’s not a case of use it or lose it forever.

Any help would be appreciated.

many thanks,

tom

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Huh well I’ve never seen many hook kicks or jump spinning kicks in Muay Thai Heck even side kicks I rarely see....I mean I use them but that’s from my karate base not Muay Thai.

for flexibility just stretch stretch stretch and practice. I never did any fancy program to get flexibility I just sat down and reached to touch my toes and just kept doing it every day then it got there.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If This guy can do this at his old age (65?), you should not have any problem for your age.

That is not even slightly helpful in someone asking for advice on how to improve their flexibility.

@Suikoden Sorry, I don't have much advice for you-you're probably more flexible than I am. One thing I will say is that you can do a spinning hook kick without much flexibility, same with high side kicks, the key is in your technique, particularly with hip movement. What can also help is each day doing side kicks, or 'swinging kicks' (kicks with no chamber), and slowly try to get higher each following day.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hi guys,

new to the forum and wanted to ask a question about returning to the more flourishing aspects of martial arts.

I started Muay Thai when I was a lot younger (17) and I did it for a number of years to a high level. I was able to do the splits and all the jumping spinning stuff.

I have kept up the general practising. So punches and roundhouses, knees and elbows. But, because I wasn’t going to training anymore and didn’t have the space to do the jumping stuff, the more technical stuff fell away.

So, I am now 36 and still fit and healthy. But my flexibility has been lost somewhat. If, for example, I try to extend my leg out to do a side kick higher than about 100 degrees, then my inner groin/thighs have an acute pain - not sure how to describe it. And Hook kicks are a no no. Anyway, I’m sure if I did a jumping spinning anything it would tear, rip and generally cause myself a mischief.

My question is what can I do to slacken wherever needs slackening, and get back into that side of Muay Thai. I hope it’s not a case of use it or lose it forever.

many thanks,

tom
I do not think flexibility is use it or loose it in regards to never doing something again. That said you may have to work harder at it than when you were 17. Think back to the drills/stretches you did to get flexible the first time. Make a list and do them daily. 10-15/day can make a huge difference.
The BIG keys as we get older is it may take a little longer to warm up and you have to stick to it.

Welcome to the forum. I hope you enjoy.

OP
S

Suikoden

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, I’ll just keep the stretches going every day until I’m at a point that I can start working up to the stuff I want to do again.

perhaps yoga may assist. I’ve never really looked into that too much.

cheers again. I’ll see how it goes.

Tom

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome to Martial Talk, Tom. Hope you enjoy it.

We'll get back to the stretch discussion later, I have some ideas for you.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Welcome Tom!

Ah no it's definitely not a use it or lose it forever situation ;) (barring any unknown surgeries etc!)

It depends what areas need working on, and whether there are any particular issues that need sorting (if you have specific trigger points, all the stretching in the world won't help those!).

So I would combine

-Massage (either professional or use a foam roller, tennis ball or lacrosse ball to roll out particularly tight areas)

-Mobility and dynamic flexibility (great suggestion from @Monkey Turned Wolf said, leg swings etc anything that has you actively moving through your full range of motion)

-Stretching (static)

But seriously, start small and I would say moreso that it's consistency that works best. You can have the most elaborate routine in the world, but if it's too darn long and you can be bothered doing it often, it won't be overly effective.

Small things on a consistent basis :)

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
What do you mean by trigger points?
They're basically a "hyperirritable spot, a palpable nodule in the taut bands of the skeletal muscles' fascia". Think of them like super tight knots that form within muscles (whether due to trauma, injury, or just inactivity). They can cause severe restrictions in range of motion, because the body is convinced that it's dangerous to release it and move into a new range of motion.

Direct compression can work them out, but stubborn ones you can get dry needling done on (by a professional!). I get really stubborn ones in my abdominals and glutes due to pelvic issues I have (or vice versa), and dry needling works wonders on those. I also do some rolling on a lacrosse ball at home every day too.

The tricky thing is that trigger points can cause referred pain, which is a pain pattern quite distant from the spot. I've gotten pain in areas a foot or two away from the trigger point area! So treating the site of pain is NOT always the solution, a trigger point some distance away may be causing it.

You can usually feel them on the body, like tight nodules.
c9be2389f511eabf5e3fe92368ffabb4.jpg

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hi guys,

many thanks,

tom
you may well have lost some of it forever, its seems unlikely that you can return to your 17 yo self level of flexibility, ive spent 8 years trying and made good improvements. but younger days flexibility its still only a very distant possibility

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Simon touched on a very good point. For me at least, dynamic stretching is much easier/better for getting warmed up and to get the blood flowing. It makes static stretching, which I think is much better at the end of a class/session, much easier, more effective, and less painful.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hi guys,

many thanks,

tom

First two things you need are patience and smarts. Muscle memory will be your enemy if you try to get flexible quickly. Forget about what you used to do and start over with a smile.

I think the first place you should start is in the groin area with the adductor muscles. And here's a great, safe way to start. The Frog Rock. It stretches more than just your groin area, but that's what I think you should keep your focus on.

Warm up first, get your body heated, break a sweat.

Get yourself a pad to kneel on, or a thick carpet at home.

Go easy, don't try and separate your knees too far at first. Slow and steady.

Next, or part of your new beginning, do a butterfly stretch. Video at the bottom of the article.

How to Do the Butterfly Stretch Correctly

You can even do this watching TV. This particular stretch is the first in a terrific chain of stretches for flexibility and strength. But we'll get to those later. Just be patient with yourself, train smart old timer. :)