recommend some books to me

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
specifically, i'm looking for books written by some of the first westerners to come into contact with/study japanese martial arts. e.j. harrison's "the fighting spirit of japan" is a perfect example of what i'm looking for. thanks for any help.

jf

melmiel

White Belt
Reaction score
Books by Donn F. Draeger:

• Classical Bujutsu : Martial Arts And Ways Of Japan, Vol I., Weatherhill, 1973, 1996
  • Classical Budo: Martial Arts And Ways Of Japan, Vol II., Weatherhill, 1973, 1996
  • Modern Bujutsu & Budo: Martial Arts And Ways Of Japan, Vol III., Weatherhill, 1974, 1996
  • Japanese Swordsmanship : Technique And Practice (with Gordon Warner), Weatherhill, 1982

OP
jarrod

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
thank you, i was thinking that this thread was dead. i've read some of draeger's stuff, very good.

jf

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Books by Donn F. Draeger:

• Classical Bujutsu : Martial Arts And Ways Of Japan, Vol I., Weatherhill, 1973, 1996
  • Classical Budo: Martial Arts And Ways Of Japan, Vol II., Weatherhill, 1973, 1996
  • Modern Bujutsu & Budo: Martial Arts And Ways Of Japan, Vol III., Weatherhill, 1974, 1996
  • Japanese Swordsmanship : Technique And Practice (with Gordon Warner), Weatherhill, 1982

Jarrod,

The above books are all very good to read and extremely well done.
icon14.gif
Classical books for any library!
icon6.gif

canit

White Belt
Reaction score
Donn Draeger's books are definitely good reads.

Trevor Leggett wrote a number of great books. 'Zen & the Ways' and 'The Sprirt of Budo' are both related to martial arts. You can read some of Zen & the Ways here via Google books.

'This is Kendo' by Junzo Sasamori & Gorden Warner is another early book worth reading (IMO).

Re 'Zen in the Art of Archery'
A few articles have been written re how much the book really had to do with either Zen or Kyudo (archery). Even the man Herrigel claimed as his teacher was critical of the book. See this thread on e-budo for more on that. If you are not an e-budo member see this article "The Myth of Zen in the Art of Archery" [pdf file].

Last edited:

lhommedieu

Black Belt
Reaction score
A few articles have been written re how much the book really had to do with either Zen or Kyudo (archery). Even the man Herrigel claimed as his teacher was critical of the book. See this thread on e-budo for more on that. If you are not an e-budo member see this article "The Myth of Zen in the Art of Archery" [pdf file].

Thanks for the correction. Yamada Shoji had a book published this year that expands upon the article cited above.

Best,

Steve

lhommedieu

Black Belt
Reaction score

Just to ammend the post, above. I read Zen in the Art of Archery as a freshman in college and was not aware until now about how wrong I've been! Presumably I was the perfect audience for Herrigel's book.

See also Earl Hartman's review of Zen in the Art of Archery at Amazon.com. He recommends Kyudo: The Essence and Practice of Japanese Archery by Onuma and DeProspero. See also the Wikipedia articles about Eugen Herrigel and Zen in the Art of Archery.

Best,

Steve

LuckyKBoxer

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
not adding anything useful... just wanted to say the recommendations peaked my interest, I am ordering those four books by Draeger now... Thanks

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
specifically, i'm looking for books written by some of the first westerners to come into contact with/study japanese martial arts. e.j. harrison's "the fighting spirit of japan" is a perfect example of what i'm looking for. thanks for any help.

jf

You might want to check out Koryu Bujutsu, Sword and Spirit, and Keiko Shokon, all edited by Diane Skoss.

Also, Dave Lowry's Autumn Lightning and Persimmon Wind are both great reads.

All of the books mentioned above are available through www.koryu.com

Pax,

Chris

Latest Discussions