REAL TKD (old school)

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Brad---this is the North Korean Demo team, right? Wow, is all I can say. The multiple kicks, almost too fast to follow, and that flying headlock---beautiful! It's all great---but the best part is that young lady explaining to the rude guy hassling her exactly why he was going to have to take `no' for an answer. I'm downloading it right now---thanks a million for publicizing the site.

OP
B

Brad Dunne

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Not really sure if it's the North Korean team. Just saw this and thought I'd share. I never could kick like those folks but the self defense aspects are what TKD was/should be about IMO.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, the insignia on the dobaks was the ITF insignia, and they are ITF-style dobaks (WTF usually uses the v-neck pullover tops); the practitioners with black stripes down their arms and legs are at least IV Dan (which in ITF TKD is Expert; master ranks begin at VII Dan) while the rest were somewhere in the I-III Dan level; I couldn't see the belts well enough to tell. If that wasn't the Korean demo team, then they are certainly on par with them.

Coming from an ITF background myself, that the the tul (pattern, poomse, etc.) set that I learned, and most of the technical details are the same, although a very few things were different - nothing major though. We teach all the things they were doing, although not everyone performs at that level; those were obviously people who spend a lot more time practicing than most people can spare, and given their ranks and apparent ages, they started pretty young, too - an advantage not all of had.

Thanks for posting that link - I quite enjoyed watching it, and saved it to watch later; I'm learning one of the patterns they were doing for V Dan (something that is in the far-off future, if ever), and I'll be using that video as a reference.

rmclain

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have some homemade video from a few of our students that visited North Korea last year. The North Korean team (ITF) put on almost a identical demo to the video in this thread. They even got to train on the floor with the team after the demo.

Wow! Very athletic and amazing kicking demo. The breaking, well, they use the weak ~1/4 inch thick balsawood-like boards for their demos there. One student saw a few "misses" with the kicks, then the holder would break apart the boards with their hands and hold it up as if the kick did it. The bricks and tiles were apparently specially made. One lady went over to a "broken" stack of tiles where a few tiles weren't broken. Out of curiousity she wanted to see how hard they were. She said she could simply drop her hand on each tile and they would fall apart.

Oh well. Still took an incredible amount of training and practice to achieve the athletics needed for the demo.

R. McLain

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I thought the boards looked thin... still, the height and number of consecutive and combination kicks (same or opposite legs, respectively) was impressive, as were the tuls, and the self-defense routines were very well done.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
That was awesome. The ITF forms are just asthetically beautiful. This coming Saturday, the 1st I am going to compete at a local tournament here in Saint Louis. I can only compete in forms as most of you know. Last week I asked my Grandmaster if I should compete using Sa-Chang or Won Yho. He said, "I have seen many people do very, very well with Won Yho in competition."

The fact that Moo Sul Kwan is WTF affiliated and all dans are certified through they Kukkiwon at major dan rankings, I, V, And above we still have to learn the 8 gup hyungs as well as Chang Moo and Gae Bek.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Always a pleasure to see that the arts are still going strong in their native countries.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's funny how sometimes we TKD folks play the "My TKD is better than your TKD, game." But good Tae Kwon Do is good Tae Kwon Do. And that is some good Tae Kwon Do, right there.:asian:

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ICEMANSK, Excellent mind set! If it's good, it's good. We should all be able to admit that, no matter who or what, irregardless of styles or ways.

Agreed!

I enjoyed the watching the clip very much :)

Latest Discussions