real life self defense techniques

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Absolutely!! Its always a good idea to go over what you'd do if, in the event that you did come across a guy high on drugs.

IMO, if you make your training as realistic as possible, then you'll be better prepared for what you may encounter. Aliveness and resistance are 2 of the most important things that you can train with. If your attacker is just standing there, while you do your 10 move Sd tech. then you're doing nothing but fooling yourself into thinking that thats how someone will really attack you.

Just a thought.

Mike

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by glad2bhere
I know people mean well but I wonder if we are making too much of these stories about guys on Meth. Unless I am a person in, say, law enforcement or security, which greatly increases the probability and frequency of running into such people, I don't know that the average person is going to have such an experience. Further, I think its safe to say that if an individual can take gross trauma to vital organs and not defer to those injuries, there is little a person without a weapon is going to be able to do. Originally I was hearing the matter of size being a concern and I still hold that size can be dealt with if the defender is willing and able to use their training to its best effect. As I was reading the posts on Meth, I remembered that even the Bezerkers of the Scandanavian traditions could scare the hell out of their battlefield opponents by being able to take considerable damage. The same goes for quite a number of warrior groups from around the world who used hypnotic practices and herbs to desensitize themselves to wounding. I am all for discussing the difficulties of dealing with a committed, even homocidal attack, but I think we step across a line when we start discussing drug-crazed attackers as though they are on every street corner. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce
Where I live I have apartment complexes and trailer parks all around me. People won't even deliver Pizza to some of thes places at night. These peole are on drugs and they are robbing people and breaking in to eachothers homes. I swear!

glad2bhere

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Years ago in Korea the Amhaeng Sosa were representatives sent out by the Korean King to right injustices perpetrated by nobles and land-owners against commoners and slaves. There is suppose to be quite a range of stories and movies on this theme in Korean culture. What you are describing sounds like the sort of situation where this would happen.

Here in Chicago folks band together in neighborhood watches in conjunction with the City police departments to take back the streets but it can be pretty dangerous work. The people you are dealing with have nasty habit of singling out someone for an example. All the same, though, this is what training in KMA is about--- putting back into the community---- and not usually what is sold to the typical KMA class. It means hard, sensible training on a regular basis and a commitment to making things better for the next generation. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
Where I live I have apartment complexes and trailer parks all around me. People won't even deliver Pizza to some of thes places at night. These peole are on drugs and they are robbing people and breaking in to eachothers homes

I'm sitting in my office now in a fairly nice strip mall. Across the alley are apartments that are largely Sec. 8 housing (government subsidized), and the cops make routine busts there. I live on the south side of town in a fairly decent condo. There is more Sec. 8 housing right next to our complex.

There is no ghetto here...but the poor and drug addicted are speread out across the county in various small apartment complexes and trailer courts that provide Sec. 8 housing. The crack dealers tell the cops they come down here from Chicago and Indianapolis because its easier to get the housing.

I don't know if this crime geography is replicated elsewhere...but some of us live next to criminals and drug addicts. Moving isn't necessarily an option.

Regards,

Steve

OP
F

Fonixz

I'd say it depends on the situation and what presents itself, but my first answer to this question would probably be punches, knees, and elbows ...

OP
D

DragonFooter

All techniques are good.... but i wanna ask in a SD situation where you can't run, can the martial artist attack first? Sounds like a stupid question but i heard there is some legal action that can be taken on the martial artist than the attacker since the martial artist have been trained to errr 'fight'?
The reason to attack first is because that it will cut down the risk of injury on yourself(the average martial artist). But as in the philosophy most martial artists are taught
"He who initiates the fight has already lost" which I think is a self-control description.
So what's a martial artist to do?

wisdomstrikes

White Belt
Reaction score
DragonFooter said:
All techniques are good.... but i wanna ask in a SD situation where you can't run, can the martial artist attack first? Sounds like a stupid question but i heard there is some legal action that can be taken on the martial artist than the attacker since the martial artist have been trained to errr 'fight'?
The reason to attack first is because that it will cut down the risk of injury on yourself(the average martial artist). But as in the philosophy most martial artists are taught
"He who initiates the fight has already lost" which I think is a self-control description.
Karate Ni Sente Nashi
-There is no first attack in karate
-Funakoshi

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
DragonFooter said:

Hmm... Look at it this way, if you're compelled to throw a pre-emptive strike to protect yourself from imminent bodily harm, then you're not the initiatior of the fight.

One saying that circulates around can sounds like wisdom is, "Better to be weighed by 12 than carried by 6." Even if legal action is brought, you could likely still get off claiming self defense.

Latest Discussions