Real aikido street fight

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Lovely.. thank you again Brian.. Yes they demonstrate a modified style and that is the club that the lovely Nataly is from also..

Last edited by a moderator:

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
Both videos were very impressive. I do like the fact that they are practicing in street clothes in the first video, especially.

Pax,

Chris

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I can't seem to bring this video up, I don't know if it on your end or mine??

I think it must be on your end.
icon9.gif

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Great video. Pity aikido doesn't work!
icon7.gif
Maybe somebody should tell them. :asian:

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Very nice, it is what I pictured it to be when I would hear the stories of how tough the early students of aikido were and the honbu was called the "hell dojo" for how hard they trained.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess I'm the dissenting voice here. Skilled practitioners, and slightly more realistic applications, and nice to see 'em in street clothes -- but still mostly the kind of routine aikido demos of single attacks with the attacker riding the defense out for my taste.

yorkshirelad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Lovely.. thank you again Brian.. Yes they demonstrate a modified style and that is the club that the lovely Nataly is from also..
The ninindori sequences were superb. I do however hate seeing tori give the weapon back to the uke after the execution of waza. It makes me cringe.

Last edited by a moderator:

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I guess I'm the dissenting voice here. Skilled practitioners, and slightly more realistic applications, and nice to see 'em in street clothes -- but still mostly the kind of routine aikido demos of single attacks with the attacker riding the defense out for my taste.
The same could be said for demos of most any martial art. There were a couple of multiple attacker situations in there. I actually recognized every technique that was done in the first video... haven't watched the second yet and know from doing them that many of them could have been finished with little bit of torque on the joint in question. I think that the only aikido demo that will ever meet with approval from a lot of folks will require the aikido-ka to leave a heap of bodies with destroyed joints all over the place. Aikido is one of those arts that you either love or hate, I quess.

dbell

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Great video. Pity aikido doesn't work!
icon7.gif
Maybe somebody should tell them. :asian:

And why do you think that AiKiDo doesn't work? I used AiKiDo only in a street fight in 1985 when in Korea and attacked by a fellow soldier, and I used it in the only other real fight I had, to great success. The second was with another MA person and still did pretty good....

Why do you think it doesn't work?

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
The street clothes clip was interesting. Great ukemi. Everything was in close and tight -- could easily be taken for Hapkido. On the occasions that I've watched Aikidoka go at it on the mats, there's a sense of bigness to it. They use up all the available space. In combat though, space can be restricted and these guys have made that adaptation. You could almost call it Combat Aikido.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
And why do you think that AiKiDo doesn't work? I used AiKiDo only in a street fight in 1985 when in Korea and attacked by a fellow soldier, and I used it in the only other real fight I had, to great success. The second was with another MA person and still did pretty good....

I think you misunderstood. Re-read K-man's post.

dbell

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I think you misunderstood. Re-read K-man's post.

Um, he says "Pitty it doesn't work. Someone should tell them that." (or words to that effect... But now that I look at his profile, I'm guessing he was being sarcastic to non-AiKiDo lovers?

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Um, he says "Pitty it doesn't work. Someone should tell them that." (or words to that effect... But now that I look at his profile, I'm guessing he was being sarcastic to non-AiKiDo lovers?
You got it. So many people that never take the time to study the art of aikido dismiss it as being something that doesn't work. The video shows an apparently effective use of the art. His statement was tongue in cheek much like a bumblebee not being able to fly. Logic would dictate that the bee is too big to fly with tiny wings but it can. Logic (to those that don't study the art) would dictate that an art of "harmony" couldn't be used with devastating effect but it can.

Joab

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I enjoyed the video a lot, I really did. The attacks weren't all that great, and the defenses looked far too complicated to work in a real assault. Still, I liked it, and hey, what do I know, as my profile says I'm still a beginner.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Thank you to my friends 'Tames D' and 'theletch' for correctly interpreting my cryptic comment. I have been studying aikido for nearly 3 years as an add-on to my karate. I find it fills in a lot of the gaps in the karate syllabus and explains a lot of the moves in the karate kata. It also teaches how 'softness' can overpower 'strength'. In many posts on this forum you will find mention that this doesn't work or that doesn't work. Poor old aikido bears the brunt of those comments because it looks contrived in many instances. It was refreshing to see a video that gives a more realistic view of aikido's presence as a true MA. Hence my
icon7.gif
and the invitation for someone to go and tell these guys that what they have so beautifully demonstrated doesn't work. Hopefully that person may have left with some grass in his mouth and a new-found respect for aikido.
I train aikido with some of Victoria's top karateka and our teacher can handle anything we can throw. I know aikido works. That's why I want to add its throws and locks to my repertoire.
The problem is that in the real world there are many martial art schools that do not turn out martial artists. That is not the fault of any particular martial art, but more a reflection on the lack of knowledge and ability of the teacher. :asian: