Reading Parker's Infinite Insights

Have you read Parker's five Infinite Insights books?

• I have read all five of Parker's Infinite Insights books within the past year.

• I have read all five books more than a year ago.

• I have read some of the books, but not all of them.

• I have never read any of them.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Have any of you read all of his five Infinite Insights books within the past year? If not, did you read them more than a year ago?

If you didn't read all, did you read some? Why or why not?

For those who did read all five, which part made the most impression and how did it effect your Kenpo?

- Ceicei

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I read them in their entirety annually, and often more than that ... not to mention the number of times I go back and look at pieces of them to refer students to.

-Michael

Maltair

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Would love to read the books, just have not been able to get a hold of them yet. I wonder if the library has them?

R

Rainman

Originally posted by Ceicei
Have any of you read all of his five Infinite Insights books within the past year? If not, did you read them more than a year ago?

If you didn't read all, did you read some? Why or why not?

For those who did read all five, which part made the most impression and how did it effect your Kenpo?

- Ceicei

They are reference books, so anytime I want to look something up or find an example for a visual I use them. I am also a student still learning from them so it depends on the information I am studying that week, month or day when they are opened and to which page. There are many points of reference contained within 3,4, and 5. They are a must have and must know for anyone who studies American Kenpo. Most things talked about on these forums can be referenced to one of the Infinite Insights.

C

c2kenpo

I have read the first three boooks and have just not gotten a hold of the last two to finish reading them.I think at the time in my training I became more focused on what my muscle memory was then my brain memory.
Thanks for the reminder to finish a goal!

Dave Gunzburg
:asian:

G

gman

I bought all 5 shortly after I started taking lessons. When I first read them most of the content was well beyond what I was learning. Then about a month ago I reread them and now it is starting to make some sense. I plan on reading them again in a few months. I like part 5 the most.

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Like others have said... these are Ed Parkers reference books. This was his lifes works in a nutshell. I have read, re-read, continue to reference, and expand upon the books all the time.
I have worn out at least 4 sets of books in the last 18 years.:)

:asian:

C

CoolKempoDude

i was a fan of Ed parker sr. I owned and read all his written books 2 or 3 years ago.

i no longer have these books because i gave them to my friend.

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have all five books. I've read them cover to cover about three or four times. I've also used them as reference material.

When they first came out, they were pretty advanced as martial arts books go...They had more theories and concepts with more analogies and examples than anything else. The technique breakdowns were (and still are) the most detailed ever.

Now when I reread these books, I see that Mr. Parker was truly a genious. But, he was a genious in need of an editor. To me, the material seems to ramble. Some of the concepts seem to be a little thin in real world application (Black Dot / White Dot is my un-favorite). Many of the concepts are explained in a round-about way making it difficult for the uninitiated to grasp. And, In light of current publishing standards, the illustrations are crude and the photographs primitive.

I think it would be great if a professional author (maybe Tom Bleeker?) collaborated with a few Kenpo Seniors on an update. A revised and updated Infinite Insights with tighter writing, newer illustrations, and clear color photos in a large format would certainly be the best martial arts book series available for the forseeable future.

B

Basicman

I have read the first three, having a little difficulty obtaining the last two, which I would like to read (especially Volume 5). I found the first Volume extremely boring especially the history part. I also question the validity of the history(the ancient part) due to history being "rewritten" so to speak so many times by the different cultures in Asia. I do feel the series is what drew me to American Kenpo, because it seems that there was some thought put into designing it.

Take Care
John

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by Old Fat Kenpoka

Now when I reread these books, I see that Mr. Parker was truly a genious. But, he was a genious in need of an editor. To me, the material seems to ramble. Some of the concepts seem to be a little thin in real world application (Black Dot / White Dot is my un-favorite). Many of the concepts are explained in a round-about way making it difficult for the uninitiated to grasp.

The books were supposed to be entirely conceptual, not specific. They were designed to make a student think, and were written for all martial artists, not just kenpo.

And, In light of current publishing standards, the illustrations are crude and the photographs primitive.

They were done almost a quarter of a century ago. The content for the most part is over 35 years old.

I think it would be great if a professional author (maybe Tom Bleeker?) collaborated with a few Kenpo Seniors on an update. A revised and updated Infinite Insights with tighter writing, newer illustrations, and clear color photos in a large format would certainly be the best martial arts book series available for the forseeable future.

It would be a bit presumptious for any of us (even if we could come to a concensus) to redo Mr. Parker's work. Not to mention it is owned by Edmund and is not in the public domain for reinterpretation. That should be left to his son who put together the original. There is talk that one day Edmund will redo them into a single volume. Parker often spoke of redoing them himself. He was particularly displeased with some of the pictures and stances of some participants and wanted to omit and correct them.

However he felt "pressed" to get the product out while he was still alive. Many have said, and I cuncur, "He knew his time was short."

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The books are part of our history, and while some say they are far from perfect, nothing man made is ever perfect. The idea that some seniors should redo the books is ludicrous, thats like saying smeone should go starighten up the leaning tower of pizza.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have read 1,2,4,&5. I believe book 3 is really a difficult book to "read" because of it's nature. I have only really sat down to take some notes out of 4 and 5 though.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Although I am represented in all five volumes - my credentials come from the fact that I did stay in a Holiday Inn last night.

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
... to sit down and read in-depth, repeatedly. Lots and lots of information in there ... not sure you would ever find it at the Holiday Inn. So Doc, will we find Infinite Insights in our night stands at the neighborhood Holiday Inn?

-Michael

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Orig posted by Michael Billings
So Doc, will we find Infinite Insights in our night stands at the neighborhood Holiday Inn?
-Michael

All I can tell you is that he is on "HOLIDAY" and can be found "INN" the Jacuzzi.

:rofl:

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by Michael Billings
... to sit down and read in-depth, repeatedly. Lots and lots of information in there ... not sure you would ever find it at the Holiday Inn. So Doc, will we find Infinite Insights in our night stands at the neighborhood Holiday Inn?

-Michael
Right next to the Gideon sir.

R

RCastillo

Originally posted by Goldendragon7
All I can tell you is that he is on "HOLIDAY" and can be found "INN" the Jacuzzi.

:rofl:

Let's stay on topic please!

I've read them, and need to read them again. They've helped me to dig further into Kenpo, but have also confirmed aspects found in an other art that I studied before.:asian:

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Goldendragon7
Off to crack open the insights again to keep up with Farnsworth!

ME? :rofl:

No way, I need them to ask you all of my off of the wall questions.:D

I've had a bad last month to month and a half so I need to get back into them.

Latest Discussions