re: ever think about doing ninja missions to test your skills?

martial sparrer

Orange Belt
Reaction score
hey guys,rocco here from Toronto.....just signed up to martial talk. has anyone ever made a list of missions to complete to test your skills? I have never taken ninjutsu....but I have been trying out and studying various martial arts. I did personal study on ninjutsu and samurai philosophy. I read the book "shadow warrior" by jotaro. it is a book on the ways of the ninja. the book consists of 5 core skill sets - invincibility, mind reading, mind control, invisibility, and forecasting the future. I have tested invisibility and thought control a little bit. I would love to set myself some missions to try to conquer using the 5 skill sets in jotaro's book. any suggestions or opinions greatly appreciated.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes. I made myself invincible and invisible, then systematically eliminated the Bujinkan.
But, it turns out that i did it with such sheer awesomeness that time collapsed in on itself and kicked me back to here. God i miss 2050.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
A strong suggestion...

Things like you seem to be thinking about are almost certainly of at best questionable legality. Breaking the law is seldom an advisable or wise way to try to improve your training.

If you're interested in the ninjutsu arts, find a qualified teacher. There are lots of threads about how to do that.

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well you have passed your first test, mind reading. I'm pretty sure you know what everyone is thinking.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes , in fact I'm posting this now from a river where I am currently underwater and breathing through a reed.

Oh look there goes a big Barramundi.

Welp, that just made my day. Id rep+ it so many times if the site didnt require me to spread the love first.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
hey guys,rocco here from Toronto.....just signed up to martial talk. has anyone ever made a list of missions to complete to test your skills? I have never taken ninjutsu....but I have been trying out and studying various martial arts. I did personal study on ninjutsu and samurai philosophy. I read the book "shadow warrior" by jotaro. it is a book on the ways of the ninja. the book consists of 5 core skill sets - invincibility, mind reading, mind control, invisibility, and forecasting the future. I have tested invisibility and thought control a little bit. I would love to set myself some missions to try to conquer using the 5 skill sets in jotaro's book. any suggestions or opinions greatly appreciated.

Wow.

Uh, look, this is going to tread a fine line here.... as there's no fraudbusting allowed on this site... but you know what, some critical thinking can be a good thing.

Firstly, I might point out that I'm the only Ninjutsu practitioner so far to enter into this thread, so I'm going to take a moment to spell something out. Everything you've described is fantasy, and bluntly, a fairly unhealthy one at that. You have, at this point in time, exactly zero understanding/knowledge of anything to do with "ninjutsu and samurai philosophy", and the book you cite is a ludicrous thing to base any sort of belief on. It's written by Peter Hobart, under a Japanese sounding (but not really very accurate Japanese) pseudonym "Jotaro", with the only thing to try to give the book any credibility the blurb on Hobart stating that he holds black belts in five martial arts (none of which are ever mentioned), he's a Law Enforcement "expert" (with no back-up to that claim), he was taught by someone he only ever refers to as "the Master" (without a name), someone who created "Kishido" (a made up word) and taught him "Kochojutsu" (the art of the butterfly... claiming that there is an old Japanese teaching about the flapping of a butterflies wings causing a storm in a distant place... uh, no, that's a metaphor for Chaos Theory, and "Kochojutsu" doesn't exist). In other words, "Jotaro" has no credibility as an expert of anything, and the writings put out under that name demonstrate such.

As such, you may gather that the "five core skills" are purely the product of Hobarts imagination. There's a reason his books are listed as being contemporary with Haha Lung et al, another person whose only offerings in this area are the product of over-active imaginings, rather than anything, you know, real. There is actually a list of core skills taught in systems such as the Togakure Ryu, but it's nothing like the one that Hobart offers.

If you're genuinely interested, forget anything you've thought of or believed so far. Ignore the book you've read. It has as much relevance as reading a Batman comic.

Oh, and don't even think about going on any "missions". That type of bad publicity isn't something the art needs.

(By the way, what the hell? "I have tested thought control a little bit"?!?! Seriously, dude?!?!)

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
A strong suggestion...

Things like you seem to be thinking about are almost certainly of at best questionable legality. Breaking the law is seldom an advisable or wise way to try to improve your training.

If you're interested in the ninjutsu arts, find a qualified teacher. There are lots of threads about how to do that.

Good, sounds advice here!!!

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Firstly, I might point out that I'm the only Ninjutsu practitioner so far to enter into this thread, so I'm going to take a moment to spell something out.!)
That you know of.....:lfao: :lfao: :lfao: I went on a "ninja mission" once. Went door to door in Juarez, Mexico-Excuse me, ma'am. We're from the Bujinkan, and we're here to talk to you about Takamatsu sensei. Have you been saved, ma'am?" :lfao: :lfao: :lfao:

grumpywolfman

Black Belt
Reaction score

If you want to get paid very well to be an assassin who hides in shadows and feel invincible while causing great psychological suffering to your target, become a Private Investigator who works for big companies. They're referred to as "spooks;" because the people whose lives they destroy, are treated like they're chasing after ghosts when they reach out for help from the police, FBI, attorneys, and their fellow citizens. If you want to be a hero, become a Counter-Surveillance P.I. who stalks and exposes these "professionals" to the public of the lows that many go to achieve their goals; but you'll have to be very good, because they'll want payback on you and they never work alone.

Unreal Combat

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Wow.

Firstly, I might point out that I'm the only Ninjutsu practitioner so far to enter into this thread.

You wouldn't be the only person to have entered this thread as a practitioner, current or past. :)

If you're genuinely interested, forget anything you've thought of or believed so far. Ignore the book you've read. It has as much relevance as reading a Batman comic.

I agree strongly with this. Anyone who thinks real Ninjutsu is all smoke and mirrors needs a reality check.

Latest Discussions