Ranks question, etc.

pete

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
why don't you guys fund another thread to discuss, or rather stubbornly contradict each other on whether names ought to be used... i frankly don't have the time or patience to ferret through this nonsense looking for kenpo information, or even more specifically epak posts. c'mon guys find a new sandbox to play in, or maybe more appropriately stated... another drain to clog.

no offense to any of you personally, or relating to your other posts relating to the topic of kenpo... to which whether i agree or disagree would never ask to curtail... but i just keep finding this fluff everywhere and the horse is dead and buried, so let's all move on.

pete (just pete, please ask no more)

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Since we have not talked about ranks since page 4, I have obviously been remiss in the "Strick" moderation of this forum. Whoops!!! And I have been reading it on and off all day.

My apologies and thanks to Pete for bringing us back on topic. Do ya'll want me to split and move the "anonymous" two pages worth of ... well, you know, over to Kenpo General? Or can we just get on from here?

Thanks,
-Michael
MT Moderator

OP
Shodan

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah- thanks Pete!! If nobody else has anything else to relate to the original question, I don't mind if you guys just go on here.....but if there is more actual thoughts on topic, I'd like to get rid of the fluff and hear the on-topic stuff myself!!

:asian: :karate:

W

WhiteTiger

Originally posted by Blindside
Bwa hahhaahahahahahahahahahaha

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Sorry, Shodan I'm not laughing at you, please see this link:

http://www.geocities.com/ikkorg/10th-9thdegrees.htm

Lamont

This site states that all of these 10th and 9th Dans teach "American Kenpo" that is not correct, many of these have evolved their own systems from what was originally taught by Ed Parker.

Remember Ed Parker did not claim 10th Dan until he evolved his own system of teaching Kenpo.

The question to ask these 9th and 10th Dans is, Who awarded you this rank? What other 10th Dans recognize your rank?

In my opinion even if you create your own system you should not claim 10th Dan unless it is awareded by at least 3 other high ranking black belts from your root system(s).

M

MisterMike

Originally posted by WhiteTiger

In my opinion even if you create your own system you should not claim 10th Dan unless it is awareded by at least 3 other high ranking black belts from your root system(s).

Why not? If you got the gusto to claim your own system, why not go all the way? :shrug:

Even for a system's head, the rank is usally awarded by a board of other seniors in your art and comes with age. The overabundance of 10th degree black belts is clearly in the U.S.

I just wonder if this is so hotly debated, say in Japan. There is one clear founder of Aikido. He taught many disciples. There are now deveral main ryu of Aikido and they have all had at one time a 10th degree leading them. The styles are clearly differentiated but they seem to all be able to live with each other claiming to teach Aikido. I guess you'll never see that in Kenpo.

I'm not giving credit one way or another to the mega-Dan's listed on that page. I think the real students can differentiate who's real and not.

W

WhiteTiger

This problem doesn't exist in Japan because Japan has laws governing Martial Arts schools and ranking.

M

MisterMike

This problem doesn't exist in Japan because Japan has laws governing Martial Arts schools and ranking.

OK - even if that were true...next country...how about China?

The point still remains. The U.S. is rampant with mega-Dan's and our culture is not one where you can go "Test the Master" without 30 lawyers jumping on your back.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by Bill Lear
Shodan,

Mr. Planas was indeed promoted to tenth degree black belt in Hayfork, California last year. He doesn't acknowledge this rank, and he doesn't wear it. Kinda makes me wonder why he accepted it in the first place.
Reason: Just good manners toward the well meaning people who gave it to him.

Your Brother
John

W

WhiteTiger

Originally posted by MisterMike
OK - even if that were true...next country...how about China?

The point still remains. The U.S. is rampant with mega-Dan's and our culture is not one where you can go "Test the Master" without 30 lawyers jumping on your back.

I understand your point, my point is, and I have said it before, anyone with 10 minutes of MA training can open their own studio, self promote to 10th Dan and call their system "Joe Schmoe's Karate".

I don't mean that any of the people mentioned on the website haven't earned their rank. But unless you have some kind of governing body this will not stop.

M

MisterMike

I understand your point, my point is, and I have said it before, anyone with 10 minutes of MA training can open their own studio, self promote to 10th Dan and call their system "Joe Schmoe's Karate".

I don't mean that any of the people mentioned on the website haven't earned their rank. But unless you have some kind of governing body this will not stop.

Ohya! I agree. But I still don't want a governing body :p

R

rmcrobertson

And what exactly does one propose for the enforcement methods of this "governing body?"

"Ya gots a nice studio here...it would be a shame if Lefty here had his hand sword get out of hand?"

With some experience in these matters, I'm a-tellin' you this: the kinds of people who want to run these organizations should NEVER be allowed to run these organizations. And, there NEVER REALLY WERE these august governing bodies.

Thank ahura-mazda I have a back yard, enough knowledge, tapes and books, lots to learn, and the ability to teach.

M

marshallbd

Why does it matter? If someone wants to wear rank, They only hurt their reputation if they dont have the knowledge to go with it. And wouldn't that be apparent to others who rank high within the Kenpo world? I just don't understand why it matters.....

K

Karazenpo

Agreed, it would never work. Politics would infest any organiztion no matter how good their intentions were originally, not to mention not everyone will be satisfied with who sits on this board or the constitutional guidelines of such organization. It's just the human condition. You can't please everyone, so why try!

Latest Discussions