Ranks question, etc.

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by rmcrobertson
Oh. So you don't know my real name, what I do for a living, or where I train? Huh. Well, I prob'ly should have let it go anyway. OFK is probably an OK guy regardless--I just get tired of these goofy kenpo nicknames, and the kind of anonymity that encourages people to behave badly.

Now there's a statement I can agree with ;)

:p

C

CoolKempoDude

i don't see anything wrong with being anonymous.

if your privacy is your number 1 concern, anonymous is the best.

if all you want to do is posting, anonymous is the way to go.

if you want everybody to know what your name is and what belt you are wearing, do what you like

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Orig. posted by rmcrobertson
I just get tired of these goofy kenpo nicknames, and the kind of anonymity that encourages people to behave badly.

I agree totally.... however, the flip side is equally annoying....

You know..

those Kenpo guys, that do give their real name, where they work, who they train with and what rank they are which they believe enables "THEM" to behave badly.

:shrug:

R

rmcrobertson

Um...who would this be?

Personally, I find using my real name helps keep me honest--or at least honester.

C

CoolKempoDude

Originally posted by rmcrobertson
Um...who would this be?

Personally, I find using my real name helps keep me honest--or at least honester.

i just wonder what your honesty has to do with your name ????

when you post something, people will see your honesty through your posts whether you reveal your name or not.

S

Shiatsu

Don't mind Billy, he can't take a joke. He has jumped ship so many times on different instructors or organizations that any other one could be next. Maybe he will study with Doc next, no maybe Mr. Sullivan, no wait Mr. Mills. No wait I got it Krav Maga:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Bill Lear

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Shiatsu

Don't mind Billy, he can't take a joke. He has jumped ship so many times on different instructors or organizations that any other one could be next. Maybe he will study with Doc next, no maybe Mr. Sullivan, no wait Mr. Mills. No wait I got it Krav Maga:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Is that all you can come up with? I'm dissappointed.

By the way... I won't be training with Doc, Sulivan, or Mills. None of them teach anything I want to know. :asian:

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by CoolKempoDude
i just wonder what your honesty has to do with your name ????

when you post something, people will see your honesty through your posts whether you reveal your name or not.

:rolleyes: Yeah right :rolleyes:

C

CoolKempoDude

Originally posted by Klondike93
:rolleyes: Yeah right :rolleyes:

if you don't believe me, you can try to post BS information here and see what happen :);)

R

rmcrobertson

Well, for one thing, it reminds us to stick to discussing ideas and merely arguing, rather than attacking another poster's character and life--inasmuch as the name forces one to at least consider the possibility that someone might show up at one's door with a Really Big Hammer.

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
... that "Big Hammer" thing is probably not something to really worry about, but "your line does not lengthen when you cut other's lines short." (Paraphrased from Zen and the Martial Arts)

-Michael

R

rmcrobertson

There ya go.

Beyond the fact that I just consider it dishonorable to post and post without using your name, in our circumstances anyway, there's my near certainty that anonymity and really lousy manners correlate very highly indeed.

Of course, that's not going to convince a soul. But I just love reading all the alibis...

Incidentally, Mr. Conatser, I don't hardly know anybody who uses their rank, training, etc., to justify their crappy behavior. The couple people I know who mouth off in their own name just blame it on their own personality...and they seem to be far outnumbered by the Web Ninjettes.

K

Karazenpo

Look, I don't want to ruffle anyone's feathers, so to speak, but I have to agree with rmcrobertson, use whatever handle you like. I use Shihan Joe Shuras or Karazenpo but when I use Karazenpo I post my name in my signature always. I feel if you totally believe in what you say, why not? And as far as anything else goes, I will not and never will be 'intimidated' to the point where I can't post my name when I express my beliefs and opinions. Please, no offense to anyone, but that is my belief on this issue. What say you? Respectfully submitted, Shihan Joe Shuras

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Orig. posted by rmcrobertson
I don't hardly know anybody who uses their rank, training, etc., to justify their crappy behavior. The couple people I know who mouth off in their own name just blame it on their own personality ... and they seem to be far out numbered by the Web Ninjettes.

Ok, Ok, I give :)...... I should have added "their personality" to the list.

Not pointing at any one person... but rather pointing out that on either side of the coin it is unprofessional or lacking common courteously.

But, due to the nature of the net at this time, there is little we can do on either side except just accept it and move on. Both sides know how most of us feel about what they do, and it still has little effect on either. :)

:asian:

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Robert: My name is in my profile as is my location. But, since I am not in any major EPAK or Tracy association, I've only encountered two people on Martial Talk who know me. So what would using my real name as a "handle" do for everyone?

I think Old Fat Kenpoka is a good descriptor of the way I feel when I am on the mat or just thinking or talking about martial arts. I am...Older than most of the guys I train with and many of the people on MT (but not as old as any of the Kenpo "Seniors")...Fatter than I should be (although not as fat as I've been and not as fat as some)...and a Kenpoist (despite my skepticism, Kenpo ignorance, and obnoxious and vain challenges to the status quo).

R

rmcrobertson

I wish I were part of the status quo, or even knew where it was hiding!

My points're actually pretty simple. 1) names seem to help keep us honest; b) anonymity often--not in your case; all I recollect are disagreements--seems to encourage lousy manners; c) isn't martial arts all about our encounters with others? and whowe are?

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Robert: I respect you for your knowledge, manners, sincerity, and efforts to keep discussions positive.

But I don't think it makes a difference whether someone uses a nickname in a forum or their real name -- as long as the person is consistent and doesn't try to hide behind multiple names.

For instance, do you respect Mr. Conatser less because he is GoldenDragon7? Do you respect Clyde less because he was Professor Kenpo? Do you respect arnisador less because you have no idea what his real name is? Do you respect Mark Twain less because he was really Samuel Clemens?

Would you respect me more as Alan Wortman or as Old Fat Kenpoka or does it make no difference as long as my posts annoy you?

C

CoolKempoDude

i hope my "coolkempodude" is OK with everybody here:confused: :confused: :asian:

R

rmcrobertson

I repeat: Arnisador does not hide behind anonymity to throw insults. And using your name, I repeat, tends to keep one honest.

Twain didn't get on the Internet, not even on that one "TNG" episode. And from early on, it was generally known who he was.

What would you say was the proportion of anonymous rudeness to named?

It's certainly not going to affect what anybody does. But since I read the first apologia for the ol' nom-de-plume ("I don't use my name because I might get in political trouble where I train," which raises the question of why the hell anybody would want to train there), I've been fascinated to see a buncha martial artists unwilling to make their claims in their own good names...

Latest Discussions