Ranks question, etc.

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Old Fat Kenpoka
Typical criteria for promoting Senior Black Belts includes time in the art, teaching history, number of schools/students, etc. Should we add internet post count as a requirement for promotion beyond a certain rank?

Please don't give the rank hungry out there any ideas :rolleyes:

But it was funny :rofl:

:p

OP
Shodan

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Oh wait!! I thought you meant on here......but when re-reading that again, I see I am wrong.......hmmmm.......interesting......maybe posts could count in some way.......or maybe we could add some sort of computer patch to our gis? :rofl:

:asian: :karate:

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by Shodan
Oh wait!! Maybe we could add some sort of computer patch to our gis? :rofl:

What do ya think OFK? I think we have a new item for the bookstore here!:rofl: :shrug: :eek: :rolleyes: :( :)

C

CoolKempoDude

I agree. Let's promote Mr. Parker to 11th and then try and get other Kenpoists to abandon their Red.

you want to do an impossible mission, do you????

these *red* kenpoists wear *red* belts for years and now you tell them to take *red* off.????? there is no way they are going to do that

they will suggest you to give parker a NEW belt so that they can keep the *red* for themselve

Bill Lear

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Don't you think that Mr. Parker would have added an 11th dan to his ranking system before he died if he really and truly wanted it there?

I like the current rank system, and don't see any reason to change things. (And hell.... I don't have any RED on my belt yet.)

You guys are pathetic. I think this squabbling over rank, and who's who in the zoo has really gotten blown way out of proportion.

GET A LIFE!!!

:soapbox:

OP
Shodan

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hmmm.........that's a first. I have never been called "pathetic" or told to "Get a Life" before just for trying to become more knowledgeable about the system I study and the "higer ups" in it and how everything works at the higher ranks. Maybe you weren't talking directly to me but that was a pretty all-inclusive statement there.

Just trying to understand.........

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There is a history of the Belt Ranking system and people self-promoting, or the mad scramble for 10th, etc. that you are just stepping into. There have been some pretty ludicrous posts in the past and you are probably just catching some of the fallout.

The title and rank of Senior Grandmaster was reserved for Mr. Parker alone at one point (the camp at the Pasadena school following his death was when it was announced), I was there, and unless I just totally missed something, that was how I remembered it.

Time passed, people were not going to ever get up to 10th, and then someone did, whether promoted by their students or their peers, the next thing we know there are a handful of 10ths, then a double handful of them. Deserved, earned, it is not for me to judge, but ... now rather than the rank of 10th being reserved, it is the Title of "Senior Grandmaster" that is reserved for Mr. Parker. Some were in Kenpo since the 50's, some started their own Associations, some, just taught, and taught, and taught ... and the Art has benefited. Then there are some others well, opinions vary (?)

Hope this gives you a brief overview. We have seen belts for sale on the internet, we have dealt with people getting rank over the phone ... sometimes it just gets to you, and that is probably some of why you got the response you did. I don't think it was personally directed at you. Keep seeking knowledge and growing wherever you can.

Oss,
-Michael

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Billy:

GET A SENSE OF HUMOR !!!

Don't you think if Ed Parker wanted everybody to be a 10th degree he would have made himself an 11th?

P.S. Don't you have an Avatar where you are smiling?

C

CoolKempoDude

Originally posted by Michael Billings

I don't think it was personally directed at you. Keep seeking knowledge and growing wherever you can.

Oss,
-Michael

i would like to know who Bill directed to because we have a handful of people posting here. It is better for HIM to be More specific when he calls everybody "pathetic".

"pathetic" for posting????? geeeeee. I guess he is included in "pathetic" category too.

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Billy has told me to "get a life" in big bold letters after I insulted some people on the CanAm forum...so I'm pretty sure it was directed at me.

Unfortunately, I have no life...just a job, a wife & kids, a large extended family, a few friends, some Jiu Jitsu classes, some Kenpo practice, bike riding, a dog, some books, some DVD's, an internet connection, some travel, a (twisted) sense of humor, some really strong opinions...but no life to speak of.

Bill Lear

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Billy:

GET A SENSE OF HUMOR !!!

Don't you think if Ed Parker wanted everybody to be a 10th degree he would have made himself an 11th?

P.S. Don't you have an Avatar where you are smiling?

You're not funny. :rolleyes:

By the way... I am smiling... it's just that my lips are in the way. :eek:

OP
Shodan

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thank you Mr. Billings- that is the kind of info. I was looking for. Although I have been associated with and studied Kenpo for a long time, I really would like to know more history as I have not learned much of that part of the art in my journey.

As Big Bird always says on Sesame Street: "Asking questions is a good way to find things out."

Thanks again-

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by rmcrobertson
A life? How about a real name...that seems tricky...

Rob- Rather than be so concerned why someone doesnt use a "real name" why dont you post some info on your profile. Looks pretty anony. to me!

Mike

R

rmcrobertson

Oh. So you don't know my real name, what I do for a living, or where I train? Huh. Well, I prob'ly should have let it go anyway. OFK is probably an OK guy regardless--I just get tired of these goofy kenpo nicknames, and the kind of anonymity that encourages people to behave badly.

Latest Discussions