Ranking

eyebeams

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I think we need to realize what Mr. Roley was saying when he said

"Well in this case, the original poster really wanted to know if he could continue to get ranked in Bujinkan while training in Toshindo."

and not an attack on Toshindo Practitioners to defend their style's use of Bujinkan. As at best, they are practitioners of the art, not the orginator of it.

Actually, I think it's still relevant to talk about how Buj. rank works in the Quest org for general edification's sake. Threads on message boards are not just for the guy who asked the question in the first place, but are springboards for general discussion and revelation, after all.

MrFunnieman

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I agree... what I don't understand, and maybe some Toshindo guys can enlighten me...

What purpose does it serve, other than the Ego gratification of saying "I have rank in 2 arts!" when you've only studied one?

Techno,

I am sure it's mostly ego, but if "I" was still studying TSD and wanted a Bujinkan cert. it would be to feel connected to TSD's roots. My experience in Dayton was that the students felt there were still under the umbrella of Bujinkan and wanted to have that connection. The other plausible explanation I would think would be for those that like trianing in TSD but also trained with BBT groups on the side and wanted to substantiate that training. Purely hypothetical reasoning.

MrFunnieman

shiro

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Note Skh does not! issue Bujinkan rank through any home study course(RVD does) He does have home study courses for his classical warrior arts that he issues cert in which states it is a kasumi an art rank cert in taijutsu,bojutsu e.t.s. but not in each ryu ha like some have said exsample
Toshin do Kasumi an Kukishinden ryu Bojutsu kihon

lalom

Green Belt
Reaction score
Shiro, sorry. You are incorrect in your first sentence. SKH has indeed issued Bujinkan diplomas while using the TSD video curriculum. I have a personal email that tells me so exactly. In fact, if my recollection serves me correctly, an old poster on this forum, JibranKhan, used to do it while stationed in Bangladesh. I don't know if he is still doing it or not.

shiro

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I think you have read something wrong. if you read on the web page in the courses it tells you that you can test for Kasumi an rank in the classical or Toshin do ranks it does not say this no where about Bujinkan cert through Homestudy maybe some one made a mistake in the email you got. to the best of my knowledge you can test long distance in only Toshin do or Kasumi an courses Not Bujinkan call the Honbu.
I just wanted to give the facts it is all on the web page If you take the Shadows of iga class you can choose to get Cert in Bujinkan rank.
Have a good day

lalom

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have read nothing wrong. This is how the Dayton Quest Center described the process in an email I have (paraphrased):

Begin training using the 12 DVD Black Belt course.

When it comes to testing for "Earth" test certificate for blue belt rank, ask for 6th Kyu Bujinkan dojo certificate.

When it comes to "Water" test to red belt, ask for 5th Kyu Bujinkan certificate.

Green belt test is for 4th Kyu Bujinkan cert.

Take the Ninpo Taijutsu Kihon course for 3rd Kyu Bujinkan cert.

2nd & 1st Kyu & Shodan must be tested for in person with Mr. Hayes.

Why someone would need or desire to do this I don't quite know. I think you either want a To-Shin do rank or a Bujinkan rank. Not both.

shiro

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Your ranks /elements are off
Chi- white, yellow,yellow black stripe
Sui- blue/white stripe,blue,blue/black stripe
Ka- red/white stripe,red,red with black stripe
Fu- Green/white stripe,Green,Green/black stripe
Ku- Brown/white stripe,Brown,Brown/blackstripe(To-Shin Do Wikipedia)
And the Kihon Happo are all in there.
I am not trying to argue just throwing in facts not personal feelings
Have a great day

lalom

Green Belt
Reaction score
Your ranks /elements are off
Chi- white, yellow,yellow black stripe
Sui- blue/white stripe,blue,blue/black stripe
Ka- red/white stripe,red,red with black stripe
Fu- Green/white stripe,Green,Green/black stripe
Ku- Brown/white stripe,Brown,Brown/blackstripe(To-Shin Do Wikipedia)
And the Kihon Happo are all in there.
I am not trying to argue just throwing in facts not personal feelings
Have a great day

Shiro,

Please sir. Slow down. The dojo curriculum in a Quest Dojo is as you have stated. However, when one chooses to use the DVD curriculum the white stripe/black stripe belts are not utilized. It merely uses the solid belt ranks. Here they are:

White
Blue (yes, it skips yellow)
Red
Green
Brown
Black (must be tested in person)

Latest Discussions