Ranking

Shizen

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi everyone I was curios as to how you test for Bujinkan ranking when studying To Shin Do. I have been studying Bujinkan for about two years now but since i have no instructor here i wanted to get a program so that i can continue to progress, I chose the Skh black belt course over Rvd's. But i have seen it said here that Skh gives Bujinkan diplomas. If anyone has any info it would be much appricaited. Thanks

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Shizen said:
Hi everyone I was curios as to how you test for Bujinkan ranking when studying To Shin Do.

You don't.

OP
S

Shizen

White Belt
Reaction score
Good to know. I see alot of your posts and was just curios as to what your backround is in MA?

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Shizen said:
Good to know. I see alot of your posts and was just curios as to what your backround is in MA?

Little of this, little of that. Ive had exposure to training in quite a few arts, the only things I've studied worth mention (meaning I put any real time into) were Hapkido for almost 3 years, and BBT for 4 so far, which is what I currently train in. But I've done some TKD (for about 3 months), some Kyokishinkai when I was down at Ft Benning for a couple weeks with another guy. Couple Arnis seminars here and there... mostly stuff I looked at when I was trying to find what I wanted to do. I also crosstrained with the BJJ guy who taught at the hapkido school I attened for a couple months, but then I left that school.

Aikironin

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I think mainly that regardless of what way you train for your black belt, you would be better served by testing in your system. I am not a BBT or TSD practitioner, per se. But imagine that you are SKH or RVD and a potential shodan wants to test with you, but didn't want to train with you? What would you do? I would definitely decline testing you, as you are not my student. If you trained TSD, either Home study or in the Dojo, you are essentially SKH's student, likewise with RVD. This is essentially a universal axiom. You would test where you train, or if you "crossed over" similiar organizations (ITF vs. WTF, USAF vs. ASU) there would be some 'feeling out' of that student before any promotion. Remember, that video testing, also somewhat gives that examination board a cross section of your progress over the years, and showing up for your in person Shodan that examiner should ideally have a sense of who you are. Not just a guy who wants a Bujinkan shodan but with a TSD background. And I would be even more hestiant with 2 posts to ask a guy with 5000 posts what his background is. Maybe that is just me.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Aikironin said:
And I would be even more hestiant with 2 posts to ask a guy with 5000 posts what his background is. Maybe that is just me.

**** I dont care... what do those 5000 posts mean? I know how to run off at the mouth.

lol

stephen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Shizen said:
Hi everyone I was curios as to how you test for Bujinkan ranking when studying To Shin Do. I have been studying Bujinkan for about two years now but since i have no instructor here i wanted to get a program so that i can continue to progress, I chose the Skh black belt course over Rvd's. But i have seen it said here that Skh gives Bujinkan diplomas. If anyone has any info it would be much appricaited. Thanks

If you've been in the Bujinkan for two years why not just ask your shidoshi what he thinks you should do to continue your training?

OP
S

Shizen

White Belt
Reaction score
I would but i do not live close to any shidoshi. there is a guy who has second dan close to me but as of now he is not activly training. Also the closest dojo to me is about ten hours away, and i am still looking into it to see if its valid. I did drive down to one that was about 14 hours away but the dojo had moved when i got there and i could not find there address .

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Speaking of Bujinkan testing, I don't believe there are any "official" tests until 5th Dan and that can only be taken in Japan AFAIK. However, some Bujinkan instructors have created their own curriculums and tests such as RVD. Something to consider when searching for answers about testing.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Shizen said:
I would but i do not live close to any shidoshi. there is a guy who has second dan close to me but as of now he is not activly training. Also the closest dojo to me is about ten hours away, and i am still looking into it to see if its valid. I did drive down to one that was about 14 hours away but the dojo had moved when i got there and i could not find there address .
It would be easier to help you out if you posted a location. There's a lot of Bujinkan instructors out there that don't advertise, but someone here may know of a dojo in your area.

OP
S

Shizen

White Belt
Reaction score
Sorry about that, i live in Utah near Salt lake. and looked on winjutsu for dojos. But if anone knows of anyone closer that Boise, ID or Tempe,AZ please tell.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Shizen said:
Sorry about that, i live in Utah near Salt lake. and looked on winjutsu for dojos. But if anone knows of anyone closer that Boise, ID or Tempe,AZ please tell.
Here's one.

OP
S

Shizen

White Belt
Reaction score
Yup i live right by him. But as i said before he is not currently traing right now. But i did learn the kihon happo from one his his freinds who is a fourth dan now and is going to test for fifth when he can. but he is in the military and is only around maybe once a year.

Aikironin

Orange Belt
Reaction score
a quick question...bigshadow stated that there are no official tests until godan, so my question is this: Is there a standardized acceptance of rank amongst Bujinkan? i.e. Does Soke Hatsumi sign every yudansha certificate or just 5th and above? For example lets say Shizen gets his shodan from RVD or whomever, would any other Bujinkan dojo accept that rank? I ask this as in Aikido (my art) this was quite a problem in the 70's and 80's. Then Doshu standardized by signing every yudansha certificate from any dojo that was Aikikai(hombu) affiliate. Was just wondering how Bujinkan handled this.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Aikironin said:
a quick question...bigshadow stated that there are no official tests until godan, so my question is this: Is there a standardized acceptance of rank amongst Bujinkan? i.e. Does Soke Hatsumi sign every yudansha certificate or just 5th and above? For example lets say Shizen gets his shodan from RVD or whomever, would any other Bujinkan dojo accept that rank? I ask this as in Aikido (my art) this was quite a problem in the 70's and 80's. Then Doshu standardized by signing every yudansha certificate from any dojo that was Aikikai(hombu) affiliate. Was just wondering how Bujinkan handled this.
All rank certificates are issued from the Honbu Dojo. Some instructors issue their own as well.

Dale Seago

Black Belt
Reaction score
Shizen said:
Yup i live right by him. But as i said before he is not currently traing right now.

That's too bad, Bill Hartman is good folks. But not everyone advertises, and there's a student of mine who lives in Salt Lake City and teaches in the area, Eric Martin. He got his start with the Bujinkan in my dojo when the Navy stationed him here for 3 years; then he got out and went home to Utah. He also trained a lot while here with Bill Atkins, and for several years now he's been bringing both Bill and me to Utah for seminars. He also trains with other seniors when he can, such as Abi Allen. I recommend him highly. You can reach him at [email protected].

OP
S

Shizen

White Belt
Reaction score
Thank you so much for that address. i just sent him an email
thank you

lalom

Green Belt
Reaction score
Shizen,

I understand that most of who have responded to you are Bujinkan practitioners. I thought I'd give you a response from the TSD side of things.

Firstly, you are a Bujinkan practitioner, and have been for two years from what I am reading. I think these guys are right in completely exhausting all your measures in finding someone in your area. If after that, you conclude that there is absolutely possible teacher in your area of residence, then your initial decision is, IMO, understandable.

Secondly, you can receive Bujinkan certificates while using the TSD curriculum. These certs are signed by Hatumi Soke. I have personally spoken with James Norris at Dayton Quest Center regarding this and I have an email from him about the protocol. If you have any further questions, please feel free to email or PM me directly.

Latest Discussions