Rank titles in Kenpo?

Seabrook

Black Belt
Reaction score
Kenpo-Sloth said:
Hello Sir,
smileJap.gif

I am only a novice (orange belt), but I think everything in American Kenpo means something, so I personally try to humble myself and follow the traditions and formalities, at least until I understand (which may never happen
laugh.gif
) the lessons being taught.

Just a novice student's point of view.

Joe Rebello informed me some time ago that one of Ed Parker's kung fu teachers told him that the reason women wore their belt/sash knot on the favored position of the right was because they could give birth and masters wore their knot in the center because they had "centered their chi" and were in the "center of the universe." While this was not Ed Parker's personal belief, it was, nontheless, the reason why the shaolin temple used the belt/sash knot placement for monks/nuns.

To put it bluntly, these shaolin traditions mean diddly-squat to me, and don't offer any reason as to why I should follow this practice. In fact, I typically prefer to work my forms and techniques with shorts and a tank-top, lol.

Jamie Seabrook
www.seabrook.gotkenpo.com

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Kenpo-Sloth said:
Hello Sir,
smileJap.gif

I am only a novice (orange belt), but I think everything in American Kenpo means something, so I personally try to humble myself and follow the traditions and formalities, at least until I understand (which may never happen
laugh.gif
) the lessons being taught.

Just a novice student's point of view.

Of course everything means SOMETHING. But you need to raise your head up and open your eyes in order to see what that something is. Always ask questions and seek to understand the frontiers between fact and tradition.

OP
K

Kenpo-Sloth

Seabrook said:
Joe Rebello informed me some time ago that one of Ed Parker's kung fu teachers told him that the reason women wore their belt/sash knot on the favored position of the right was because they could give birth and masters wore their knot in the center because they had "centered their chi" and were in the "center of the universe." While this was not Ed Parker's personal belief, it was, nontheless, the reason why the shaolin temple used the belt/sash knot placement for monks/nuns.
Thank you for the information :asian:
Old Fat Kepoka said:
Of course everything means SOMETHING. But you need to raise your head up and open your eyes in order to see what that something is. Always ask questions and seek to understand the frontiers between fact and tradition.
Thank you for the advice :asian:

I always seem to learn something on these message boards :D

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Kenpo-Sloth said:
Thank you for the information :asian: Thank you for the advice :asian:

I always seem to learn something on these message boards :D

One more piece of advice: It's hard to keep your head up and look around when you are on your knees kissing someone's ***. Remember that your Kenpo Instructors are real people with real lives, real personalities, and real human faults. Admire them, respect them, but don't don't worship them like you see people doing in the Hong Kong Fu movies.

Seabrook

Black Belt
Reaction score
Old Fat Kenpoka said:
One more piece of advice: It's hard to keep your head up and look around when you are on your knees kissing someone's ***. QUOTE]

Hey Alan,

I thought that comment was completely uncalled for, even though you probably meant it with the best intentions. "Kenpo-Sloth" was very humble in his approach, and as a beginner to AK, was just trying to keep an open mind.

Jamie Seabrook

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Seabrook said:
Old Fat Kenpoka said:
One more piece of advice: It's hard to keep your head up and look around when you are on your knees kissing someone's ***. QUOTE]

Hey Alan,

I thought that comment was completely uncalled for, even though you probably meant it with the best intentions. "Kenpo-Sloth" was very humble in his approach, and as a beginner to AK, was just trying to keep an open mind.

Jamie Seabrook

Jamie, Kenopo Sloth:
I didn't mean to imply that he was doing that. I hope he doesn't take it that way. My point was that he (nor anyone else) should do that.

Too many young and new martial arts students venerate their instructors. I remember I was at a party drinking a beer. A student saw me. He was shocked that I was having a beer. Couldn't belive that a Kenpo instructor would ever do such a thing.

OP
K

Kenpo-Sloth

Old Fat Kenpoka said:
One more piece of advice: It's hard to keep your head up and look around when you are on your knees kissing someone's ***. Remember that your Kenpo Instructors are real people with real lives, real personalities, and real human faults. Admire them, respect them, but don't don't worship them like you see people doing in the Hong Kong Fu movies.
Old Fat Kenpoka said:
Jamie, Kenopo Sloth:
I didn't mean to imply that he was doing that. I hope he doesn't take it that way. My point was that he (nor anyone else) should do that.
Of course I didn't take it that way, your just making a point (in bad taste, but I don't have thin skin).
I was trying to show you and Mr. Seabrook (my Kenpo seniors) some respect, which in my opinion is in short supply nowadays (maybe those formalities do teach something after all). Doesn't Infinite Insights make mention of the purpose for the salutation (to your instructor).
Short of respecting my seniors, I'm like every other Kenpo Student, we don't take no sh@# :moon:

OP
K

Kenpo-Sloth

Ironically, my previous post (the only post, where I was not very respectful),
The moderator has warned me!! :lol:
I'll direct any questions I have to my instructors from now on.